The Superduper Snubbie thread - Page 17

The Superduper Snubbie thread

This is a discussion on The Superduper Snubbie thread within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; New snub here - added a Taurus 617 to my arsenal this past week. I've wanted one of these for more than a year or ...

Page 17 of 105 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767 ... LastLast
Like Tree886Likes

Thread: The Superduper Snubbie thread

New snub here - added a Taurus 617 to my arsenal this past week. I've wanted one of these for more than a year or so - what a beast! I didn't think I would be carrying it, but decided otherwise and ordered a FIST #12 for it and put on a Houge Monogrip.

My 442 dressed up with newly acquired Eagle Secret Service grips in rosewood. These are the heat for low profile carry.

Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Administrator
    The black and rosewood looks so good, I thinks thats the way I'm going to go on mine.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Since others are posting 3-inch "extended" snubbies, here is mine, a S&W 686 Plus.
    Attached Images

Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Administrator
    I missed it by a couple of hours. Oh well, I'll find some. Thanks for the link anyway!
    "Just blame Sixto"

I've only seen a couple of references to the S&W M&P 340. I wonder why?
    I purchased one a few months ago and find it to be about the best little carry revolver I've ever encountered. At 12 ozs (unloaded), it is so light I don't notice that it's there!! (I carry strong side, with an El Paso, lined holster on a Gunner's Alley belt). The rig holds the pistol very close to my body so I can wear a T-shirt or an over shirt outside and 'nobody will know'. The pistol will also carry very nicely in a pocket holster.

Although the recoil is pretty 'sharp' with .357 loads, the pistol is still very controllable and --- for me --- will stay within a dinner plate at 25 feet. Not pleasant to shoot but 'bearable'. Much nicer with +P loads or target .38 Special stuff.
    "Courage is being scared to death ...... but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Desperado View Post
    I've only seen a couple of references to the S&W M&P 340. I wonder why?
    I purchased one a few months ago and find it to be about the best little carry revolver I've ever encountered. At 12 ozs (unloaded), it is so light I don't notice that it's there!! (I carry strong side, with an El Paso, lined holster on a Gunner's Alley belt). The rig holds the pistol very close to my body so I can wear a T-shirt or an over shirt outside and 'nobody will know'. The pistol will also carry very nicely in a pocket holster.

Although the recoil is pretty 'sharp' with .357 loads, the pistol is still very controllable and --- for me --- will stay within a dinner plate at 25 feet. Not pleasant to shoot but 'bearable'. Much nicer with +P loads or target .38 Special stuff .

I think its because of the cost; not many people can or will fork over the kind of cash a 340 costs, when most people will never shoot 357 out of it anyway.

They are great though, thats what I originally wanted when I bought my 442.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I am computer-challenged, or photo-challenged or something. Can't get 'em down small enough either. I too have a 3" Mod. 10. Fantastic pistol. But as for true snubs, a 640 (heavy but fabulous shooter with magnum loads. controllable) that I like. My favorite, though, is a 1969-made Colt Agent, pre-ejector-shrouded "airweight" Detective Special, essentially. Of course the Colts are a little bigger than the Smiths, but I like the extra round. I got the old thing off a gun show table for a little over a Franklin. Guy was obviously not in possession of a Blue Book! One of my rare "wins" in my gun dealings.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I think its because of the cost; not many people can or will fork over the kind of cash a 340 costs, when most people will never shoot 357 out of it anyway.

They are great though, thats what I originally wanted when I bought my 442.
    Sixto -- you are probably correct. The gun was fairly high dollar. 'twas worth every penny, however. Over the years I've had just about every popular revolver made. Traded or sold them all. This one is going to stay. The gun is just perfect!! The only drawback is that it is a 5 round pistol. My Colt Detective Special used to be my favorite with 6 round capacity but only a .38 Special. The 340 will take it all ----- and isn't that bad with .357 loads.
    "Courage is being scared to death ...... but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

I just picked up my SP101 2 1/4" Barrel from my Gunsmith.

That qualifies as a "snubbie" don't it? It's the second of three guns I carry off duty. The first is a 3" GP100 that has been "slicked up" a bit with an Action Job, "dehorning" and custom Hi-Viz "type" Front Sight.

The SP101 has had the same thing done to it and it rides in a Kramer MSP Paddle. The GP100 rides in a Milt Sparks Summer Special II. The 442 is in my weakside pocket.

BTW, I'm photographically challenged and too ignorant to learn how to post PICS, sorry.

Biker

Administrator
    The SP101 is most defiantly a snubby.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Is there a snubbie available with a 3 inch barrel? Preferably in 38 special, although I guess a 357 would work wouldn't it?

thanks

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by opr1945 View Post
    Is there a snubbie available with a 3 inch barrel? Preferably in 38 special, although I guess a 357 would work wouldn't it?

thanks
    I do believe several S&W models come in 3", as does the Ruger Sp101. And yes, .357 will work just fine.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Hey! can I just buy a replacement barrel and have it installed on a J frame? do they come in different lengths?

I was thinking of the Smith 649, schrouded hammer. Nothing to snag when drawing and still has the possibility of hand cocking. Best of both worlds.....am I missing something here?

Or what about the Taurus 651, schrouded hammer, but cheaper.

thanks.

Sponsored Links