The Superduper Snubbie thread - Page 26

The Superduper Snubbie thread

This is a discussion on The Superduper Snubbie thread within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I loved nickel guns when I was a young teenager. Then I grew to dislike it. Now I'm back to wanting some nickel revolvers. That ...

Page 26 of 103 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676 ... LastLast
Like Tree822Likes

Thread: The Superduper Snubbie thread

I loved nickel guns when I was a young teenager. Then I grew to dislike it. Now I'm back to wanting some nickel revolvers. That Model 10 snub and the 1972 Model 36 are both very appealing!
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by JimH58 View Post
    I have carried a S&W 442 airweight for some time now. Its not the only gun I carry but it is the one that I carry most often. Its light easy to conceal in a pocket holster which is generally how I carry it. .
    I agree 100%! Have the same S & W 442 also.
    Nick
    Glock 19 /CT Laser
    Glock 26 /CT Laser
    Kel Tec P3AT .380/CT Laser

Every Southern Gentleman should own a nickel snubbie. Ladies too!

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I only wish the picture did it justice. And yes ladies should have one too. This one will be passed down to my daughter when I'm gone, with the stipulation it is to always remain in the family.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

See my favorite below. S&W Military and Police (pre-10) 1951 issue, factory nickel (N on frame). Was a presentation pistol for a retiring Detective who put it up as soon as he got home. Only fired once before I got it from his daughter 58 years later.

Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    See my favorite below. S&W Military and Police (pre-10) 1951 issue, factory nickel (N on frame). Was a presentation pistol for a retiring Detective who put it up as soon as he got home. Only fired once before I got it from his daughter 58 years later.

Thats is what I love most about revolvers. They can almost take on a soul of their own. Very lucky guy to have a revolver endowed with that much luck. For all the years the Detective had it, he never had to use it in defense of himself or others. I would consider that a very charmed item.
    Last edited by rmarcustrucker; April 16th, 2009 at 04:37 PM. Reason: spelling

Hey wjh26257;

Here's the blued version of your fine looking nickel Military & Police snubby and it also dates from the early 1950s.

I've had this old 2-inch M&P .38 Special snub for about 15 years and especially enjoy shooting it. I tote it fairly frequently as well. We went out to the range last week and the revolver gave a good account of itself. There wasn't a breeze stirring when I arrived. Thirty minutes later the wind kicked up hard but I kept shooting until the target stand began bobbing too much in the breeze. According to NOAA the wind gusted to 40mph that day.

Anyway, I began shooting it at 19 yards. This distance was "scientifically determined" to be the correct initial distance from the target because of a handy power company wooden spool which was already positioned there for use as a table/stand to hold my stuff.

I later moved in to 10 yards for close range accuracy efforts and also to 7 yards for double action rapid fire work. I'm not the best at double action shooting from 19 yards but did make an effort at that distance too. Photos show best efforts. I shot off four boxes of ammo before the wind made me retreat home. Wind didn't affect me as badly as it affected the flimsy target frame I was using. Ammo used was 4.8 grains Unique/158 grain SWC. I fired six rounds of Winchester +P 158 grain SWC-HP as well.

I found a quantity of yellow door hanger advertisement placards that actually work pretty well as aiming points. At closer ranges one may shoot a hole in one then aim at the hole. They're also handy for hanging on a convenient bush in an appropriate shooting area when plinking in the field.

First group fired single action at 19 yards. Subsequent groups weren't any better than this one.

Best deliberate double action effort at 19 yards. One bullet barely grabbed the edge.

Best effort for single action accuracy at 10 yards.

Best attempt at rapid fire double action shooting at 7 yards. This was done with Winchester +P 158 grain factory fodder.

The 2-inch Military & Police/Model 10 revolver is a great revolver that soaks up recoil well and is amazingly accurate. It hides almost as well as its smaller J-Frame siblings with the right holster. It is easy to shoot and much overlooked as a personal defense handgun.

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

You guys make me buy more guns! Im picking up my brand spanking new taurus 85 ultra lite today

gunny lemme know how you fare. i too am looking at an 85

I haven't read every post in this thread, but besides being a "short barreled revolver" what defines a snubbie? At what length does barrel need to be to qualify as a snub-nose?
    Kholster/Glock 17/Rugar SR9c/Bersa 380CC/Ruger LCR/SW 624/ SW 629
    Doublestar Star 15 M4 5.56 / Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader

I don't even call it violence when it's in self defense; I call it intelligence
    Malcolm X

Quote Originally Posted by gunny79 View Post
    You guys make me buy more guns! Im picking up my brand spanking new taurus 85 ultra lite today

It's ok...blame us.....especially if the wife finds out...we can take it.

Quote Originally Posted by ZRow1 View Post
    I haven't read every post in this thread, but besides being a "short barreled revolver" what defines a snubbie? At what length does barrel need to be to qualify as a snub-nose?
    The S&W 624 with a 3" barrel in your avatar is generally accepted as the longest a snubby barrel should be. I agree but some people think they can be longer. Let the arguing begin.
    NRA Life Member

I say three inches. For many years the Colt Detective Special and the Smith & Wesson Chief's Special came in 2-inch and 3-inch guise and those models have long been considered to be the quintessential snubbies.

Thanks for the pics everyone! I am really enjoying this thread.

That's good news Bacon and bmcgilvray because I sometimes have a difficult time thinking of my 2.5 lb chunk of stainless (empty) as a "snubbie," but I have very large hands and my SW 624 3" .44 Special fills it nicely. I go with a Triple K "Secret Agent Belt Slide Holster" and a Simply Rugged ammo pouch using Tuff's 44/45 Quick Strips. . . Thanks!
    Kholster/Glock 17/Rugar SR9c/Bersa 380CC/Ruger LCR/SW 624/ SW 629
    Doublestar Star 15 M4 5.56 / Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader

I don't even call it violence when it's in self defense; I call it intelligence
    Malcolm X

Sponsored Links