The Superduper Snubbie thread

This is a discussion on The Superduper Snubbie thread within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i carry a taurus 650 CIA .357 magnum in my pocket sometimes which weighs it down too much, or in the IWB holster . I ...

Page 29 of 94 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979 ... LastLast
Like Tree477Likes

Thread: The Superduper Snubbie thread

i carry a taurus 650 CIA .357 magnum in my pocket sometimes which weighs it down too much, or in the IWB holster . I love this piece but not the weight, so i have been considering a M&P 340 which is half the weight. any one can relate here?

2. Remove Ads

I carried one of the 1'st Model 60s with me everyday in Viet Nam, 40 years later I still have it. Now I prefer the Titanium versions and still think that J frames are the ultimate warm weather carry guns.

I think the M&P 340 may be the best J Frame in production. A little less weight is nice, but the sights are outstanding and worth the price jump. A 342PD would also qualify.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Just picked up my new Ruger SP101 .357 mag. I have never had any wheelguns before but I tell you, this little sucker is built like a tank. I thinks it's almost a work of art and can't wait to shoot it. Probably tomorrow I'll burn up a box of .38 special through it. I will also try some .357.
    I bought a High Noon Split Decision for it and wondered if it is normal to have the back of the triggerguard exposed (back of trigger itself is flush with the end of the holster). I expect my wife to carry it on her purse every now and then and want to make sure the holster can do the job inside a purse.
    G21SF, G30, G36, Ruger SP101 DAO, S&W 642

Mother of all threads!

I can't believe this thread is still going strong! I might be adding a new one soon, been looking at a 442 for a while... getting close to taking the plunge.

I am thinking about getting my first handgun for ccw and home defense, do you guys think a snubbie would fill this role? Or should I be looking to the plastic army?

I think a snub nose would fill both roles nicely.

My 1" barrel snubbie is a five shot NAA Pug .22 mag...... Don't get much snubbier than that! Almost conceals in your change pocket, or in your hat band! lol

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOhioan View Post
    I am thinking about getting my first handgun for ccw and home defense, do you guys think a snubbie would fill this role? Or should I be looking to the plastic army?
    A good quality snub is the gold standard of CCW. Spend some time really learning it and getting good, you will be a better shooter in the long run starting out with a revolver. For a first, I'd suggest the SP101 in the 3" barrel length.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have a SP101 with a 2.25" barrel in .38 +P. I can see the desire for the 3" to get a little more speed, but the shorter barrel is nice for pocket carry which is what I do primarily with my SP101. I use the DeSantis pocket holster.

I carry the Buffalo Bore 158gr +P SWCHP - 'FBI load', and I found a couple of boxes of Gold Dot 135gr +P short barrel loads the other day.

Comfortable carry gun/holster combo, and very nice to shoot.
    If you rob Peter to pay Paul, you will undoubtedly have the support of Paul.

VIP Member
    Here are some picks of my three snubbies.
    1. S&W model 66-1
    2. S&W 342 Ti
    3. Colt Detective Special second series I think
    Attached Images

I bought a model 85 Taurus snubby a couple week ago. Been to the range 3 times. Starting to figure out how shoot it more accurrately. I am carrying it in a Galco speed paddle holster. I think it is going to be OK for a daily carry weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhome View Post
    Yes they do for around $240 USD

another S&W copy

Colt Commander copy

another Colt copy
    Where did you pick up the revolver for 240? I have a rock island armory .45 from the philippines as well.

This past weekend I went shopping. After going to several local gun stores searching for a S&W J-frame, which all said that they had not seen one in several months, I found a 642 with IL and a 442 w/o lock at Discount Firearms. I was looking for a 642 without the lock but had to settle for the one with the lock since they did not know when then would be getting anything else in. It is challenging trying to find what you want when you finally decide what it is you want. I am very happy with my 642, which I had to pay $429, they wanted the same price for the 442.

I went to the range yesterday to give the little guy a try. It was a lot of fund to shoot. I shot a 285 out of 300 at 5-7 yds. It is quite a bit different than the Colt MKIII snubbie that I have. I did learn that I will have to work on thumb position as the cylinder release started taking it toll on my thumb. I do not have that problem with the Colt because of the larger frame. I have large wide palms and short fingers that will take some more practice to learn the grip hold. Of course in an emergency I would not really care about gouging the old thumb a bit.
    My collection: Glock G34, G34OD, G17, G26, G26; Ruger KP90; Ruger Blackhawk .357mag; Ruger Standard Auto; Sig P6; Colt Lawman MKIII .357 snub; S&W 642; Hawes Montana Marshal .44mag

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    Here are some picks of my three snubbies.
    1. S&W model 66-1
    2. S&W 342 Ti
    3. Colt Detective Special second series I think
    Nice arrangement there.
    S&W .460xvr magnum
    S&W .44 magnum 29-3
    Taurus 650 CIA .357 magnum

Links