The Superduper Snubbie thread

This is a discussion on The Superduper Snubbie thread within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by rcyxf460 Nice arrangement there. I also really like those three....

Page 30 of 97 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080 ... LastLast
Like Tree551Likes

Thread: The Superduper Snubbie thread

Quote Originally Posted by rcyxf460 View Post
    Nice arrangement there.
    I also really like those three.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I also really like those three.
    thank you mr. bmcgilvray.
    i tend to appreciate revolvers more but may need to add a pistol to the ensemble.
    S&W .460xvr magnum
    S&W .44 magnum 29-3
    Taurus 650 CIA .357 magnum

I current own is a Webley .455 Metro Police revolver, one of the ORIGINAL snubbies!

Our best guess is it was made in the 1880-1890's time frame. My grandfather got it sometime prior to WWII and when he died at 90 in 1967 the gun went to my father. After my dad died in 1995, we thought the gun was lost or had been sold by my father. However, my younger brother found the gun, a pair of half-moon clips for .45 ACP rounds and a box of bullets in a shoebox a few years later. It had been hidden in the back of a closet at my parent's house for years and was found while my mother was having a bedroom remodeled. My mother gave it to my brother and he gave it to me several years ago when I was back home in NC for a family reunion. It was the first handgun I ever shot back in the 60's when I was a teen.

I also have a RG-14 .22 revolver, a genuine "Saturday Night Special" made back in the 70's. It cost around $20 new and is the same gun used by John Hinckley to shoot President Ronald Reagan in 1981. I bought a pair of them, still NIB from a retired guy at a gunshow a few years back for $75.

The other gun is my wife's LadySmith .38 SPL she's had since the 80's. Between the three guns, I'd say this just about covers the range in snubbies as far as size and caliber!

I have a number of other revolvers aside from the guns above, but they all have barrels 4" or more in length so I can't really call them snubbies.
    Attached Images
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

rachilders, I love it! Thanks for posting that one.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Administrator
    Nice!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Love that webley.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rcyxf460 View Post
    Nice arrangement there.
    Thanks, they are some of my favorites to shoot and carry, especially the detective special

I really love my S&W 642 and, I also like my ruger sp 101 .357, not quite a snubbie but love to pack it also.
    S&W 642 .38+p
    Ruger SP 101 .357
    Ruger p89dc

Smith & Wesson models 36 and 442,both are 38 spl.+P
    Attached Images
    " Americans love a winner and will not tolerate a loser. Americans play to win all the time. I would'nt give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed. "- General George S. Patton Jr. May 31, 1944

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    Attached Images

My S&W Model 36 has amazing accuracy for a fixed sight snubnose.
    At 25 yards, I'm hitting the 5"swinging steel gong at our range consistantly.

Or else I have a good trigger finger.

Thumbs up

I love Subbies!!!

We can't stop here...this is bat country.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Res Ipsa Loquitur

Everybody needs to own a "Snubbie" no matter what brand. It should be light weight if you plan to carry and for me at least is an everywhere gun. I won't argue with people who brag on their PM9 Kahrs. I guess in a way it fills the same niche. I would buy one if I was as certain of getting one with no problems as I am with my 642.

IMHO people often buy too big a gun for their first one. You can always move up in size and capacity as you become more experienced. I have several options in size and caliber for EDC but find the snubbie is just plain easy to pack.
    For the stength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack. - R. Kipling

Romans 1:22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools [professing to be smart, they made simpletons of themselves].

Please forgive the ignorance of this one, but here are a couple of questions:

1. My S & W 642 snubbie airweight 38 special has +P stamped on it. Yet, I have seen some posts and articles that say not to shoot much +P ammo in a snubbie that is not all stainless steel. One article even said less than 50 rounds. Is that for the life of the gun, all at once? Is it true even if it apparently is supposed to be rated for it? What do you learned ones think? It's new and mommie does not want to hurt it

2. Is it true they are making the Federal Nyclad low recoil ammo for 38 snubbies available again for sale to the commoners? Wonder what miracle it would take to get some...

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheree View Post
    Please forgive the ignorance of this one, but here are a couple of questions:

1. My S & W 642 snubbie airweight 38 special has +P stamped on it. Yet, I have seen some posts and articles that say not to shoot much +P ammo in a snubbie that is not all stainless steel. One article even said less than 50 rounds. Is that for the life of the gun, all at once? Is it true even if it apparently is supposed to be rated for it? What do you learned ones think? It's new and mommie does not want to hurt it

2. Is it true they are making the Federal Nyclad low recoil ammo for 38 snubbies available again for sale to the commoners? Wonder what miracle it would take to get some...
    Sheree, if your 642 is stamped +P you should have no trouble with it. I wouldn't fire +P steadily at the range but occasionally you should be fine, and definately use it for carry ammo.
    Yes the Federal Nyclad rounds have been reintroduced and are starting to show up at some stores. I picked up some just last week at my local fun shop,and they are just as good as there were years ago. As I understand it they are just making the standard pressure, but those seem to be ideal for the snubbies, tests I've read don't show the +P rounds as having much better velocity than the standard rounds. The Nyclad are my carry ammo in my Model 36 and my 686+
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Links