Defensive Carry banner

The Superduper Snubbie thread

658K views 2K replies 651 participants last post by  shooterX 
#1 · (Edited)
I got bit by the snub bug, and I've noticed others have recently too. Lets have a thread thats anything snubbie.

I think I'm going to try and get really good with my M36 this summer just because it sounds like a nice option for carry.

I want to see pictures, (esp. if you fancied yours up) and hear about your snubs... the pros, the cons everything. Smiths, Taurus, Rugers, Colts... whatever, they are all welcome here.

#1,968 ·
"Superduper snubbies" is all I carry concealed these days. Both of these carried AIWB in Kydex although the Rossi gets some pocket duty from time to time as well now that my 642 died. Same clips and same position on the belt. They both conceal about the same so I lean toward the S&W most days. Although I will carry both some days like road trips I am generally using one as a backup gun in case of breakdowns or confiscation temporarily if I had to use one. Yep, these are my only EDC options now.

One 6 shot S&W 10-7 and one 5 shot Rossi M88, 1984 and 1994 respectively. I carry nickel cased ammo for both guns as well as reloads because I find it's a little "slicker" on ejection and it does not tarnish. I carry Underwood 158 LSWHP+P in the 10 and Underwood 150 hardcast wadcutters in the M88. All my reloads are Hornady critical defense 110+P. They are the most conical shaped and therefore most trouble free to reload in my timed testing and again have nickel cases. I carry one 8 round quick strip on the belt with 6 rounds loaded and a space between each pair (again I find that much quicker and easier to handle than all rounds next to each other) and one speedloader right behind it. Speedloaders get carried in the identical place and identical pouch for either gun.

I am really trying to eliminate variables in carrying a firearm. No "rotations" of different "platforms" or frequent carry position changes. Same platform, same caliber, same grip feel, same trigger reach and trigger pull, etc. I believe, at least for me, that I will do much better defending myself with as few variables as possible especially in these expensive ammo days we are in where I need to get the most out of my limited practice budget by keeping it simple.

Luggage and bags Bag Air gun Revolver Personal protective equipment

Revolver Trigger Air gun Ammunition Gun barrel

#1,969 ·
"Superduper snubbies" is all I carry concealed these days. Both of these carried AIWB in Kydex although the Rossi gets some pocket duty from time to time as well now that my 642 died. Same clips and same position on the belt. They both conceal about the same so I lean toward the S&W most days. Although I will carry both some days like road trips I am generally using one as a backup gun in case of breakdowns or confiscation temporarily if I had to use one. Yep, these are my only EDC options now.

One 6 shot S&W 10-7 and one 5 shot Rossi M88, 1984 and 1994 respectively. I carry nickel cased ammo for both guns as well as reloads because I find it's a little "slicker" on ejection and it does not tarnish. I carry Underwood 158 LSWHP+P in the 10 and Underwood 150 hardcast wadcutters in the M88. All my reloads are Hornady critical defense 110+P. They are the most conical shaped and therefore most trouble free to reload in my timed testing and again have nickel cases. I carry one 8 round quick strip on the belt with 6 rounds loaded and a space between each pair (again I find that much quicker and easier to handle than all rounds next to each other) and one speedloader right behind it. Speedloaders get carried in the identical place and identical pouch for either gun.

I am really trying to eliminate variables in carrying a firearm. No "rotations" of different "platforms" or frequent carry position changes. Same platform, same caliber, same grip feel, same trigger reach and trigger pull, etc. I believe, at least for me, that I will do much better defending myself with as few variables as possible especially in these expensive ammo days we are in where I need to get the most out of my limited practice budget by keeping it simple.

View attachment 371301
View attachment 371302
I like this setup you have. Makes me consider getting a holster for the LCR that’s sitting in the safe and setting it up with my Sp101.
Brown Revolver Paint Air gun Wood

#1,972 ·
[/QUOTE[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the LCR a 357. Ive shot a few cylinders of Rem 125 sjhp on it and that was enough before switching over to 38’s. It’s been awhile since having it out to play.

My wife bought it a few years ago and then decided she was done with revolvers. I thought my 21 yo daughter was going to take it when she was visiting in November but she decided to take the Taurus 617.

#1,980 ·
I like to pocket carry one of my K6s 6 shooters, or sometimes my S&W 640 Pro
View attachment 371946
How do you like the Pro?

I stopped shooting the air weights due to age and pain. Wondering if I could manage the Pro model. Still believe a j frame is just about the best civilian self-defense handgun.

#1,984 ·
So, fellows, what's the consensus on the definition of a "snubbie"?

I think we all agree that a 2-1/2" barrel is a snubbie, and most will include a 2-3/4" (e.g. Security Six). Do we include 3-inchers?

I'm trying to decide which revolvers to include in a family portrait! ;)

#1,985 ·
Hmmmm. interesting question. I LOVE a 3" in a carry gun. It works great everywhere except the ankle...but is it a snubby? I dunno, I would have to say no. I think at 3" it becomes a "real" gun.

#1,993 ·
somebody needs to put a poll up...Well, I guess I stepped in it.

#2,001 ·
this probably has already been posted......and i fully acknowledge the many advantages of the 38 in current production platforms along with ammo choices and availability.....
but its still an option for those that want to take a walk on the mild side......

#2,011 · (Edited)
Rossi in top condition. Gifted to me. Small gun shoots like a target gun in single action. I think it is a MDL 69