The Superduper Snubbie thread

This is a discussion on The Superduper Snubbie thread within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here are my three snubbie revolvers....

Page 59 of 97 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369 ... LastLast
Like Tree551Likes

Thread: The Superduper Snubbie thread

Here are my three snubbie revolvers.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I agree with DHart on the "sleeper" 640-1. I have one and I think it's about the ultimate J frame. Makes .38's seem like .22's and handles the .357 loads very very well. I also like it because it's a lot more compact then the Ruger SP101. The pinned front sights gives you options as far as front sights go. And did I mention the weight really absorbs recoil?

As a bonus, I bought mine over the internet and when I got it, I learned it had been worked on by a professional. I never knew what a gunsmith could do with a revolver but know I know. You can spin the cylinder and it just keeps going like it's riding an jeweled ball bearings. The action is soooo smooth and it locks up so tight. It's accurate and an absolute pleasure to shoot. Can't say enough about it.

i can pocket carry it in jeans or a coat but it's too heavy for me in dress pants.

That is a great collection DHart!!

Gideon

Gideon, I couldn't agree more. Bought one in '95 on a lark 12 years before Kansas had conceal carry. One of my best moments of dumb luck.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

VIP Member
    Does the 640 .357 ride in the same Holsters as a 642?
    Last edited by ksholder; January 11th, 2011 at 08:04 AM.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

My girls. The M&P (Pre-model 10) with the ivory grips is by "BBQ Gun". Not shown is a Taurus 85ULBH that serves as my shop gun, to be worn when I am working on the others.

Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

A heads up for those enamored of pretty wood grips. I put a set of rosewood grips on my 637 last year. (picture is of same grips on my 642) When I took the pistol out of my pocket to place it in COM safe (entering no-gun zone) my hands were wet (it was raining)and I dropped the pistol, twice (on two different days)!
    I have since replaced the grips with the original S&W rubber grips. In the pic of the 637 you can see the nicks on top of the gun. It just worried me that the same might happen on a draw from the holster in an SD situation. Wood is pretty, but rubber means you have a good grip on your gun!

Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

VIP Member
    Very nice DHart!
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Here are my little jewels.

thought i would post a few pics of my carry pieces with some new wood... its Andean Alder........ made by Esmeralda. It is on my Smith 642. My other carry piece is my Smith 442 with a crimson trace. Enjoy
    Attached Images

Ooops, cannot forget my Taurus Model 651 5 shot 357 Magnum... or my Taurus Model 94 9 shot 22lr.
    Attached Images

VIP Member
    Nice pictures. Gotta love the 637, they are classics.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I'll follow your advise and get a S&W small frame such as the 642 or 442 instead.
    Thanks

I Just re -entered the snubby world. Picked up a new 438 today ( thank you S&W for lowering your prices) . My first handgun with single action. All my other's are double action or striker type double action semi auto's.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Ksholder, you asked about the 640 fitting in a 642 holster. It will stick out a bit because the 640 is (non-tapered) 2.125" versus the 642's at 1.875 inches. I have a 640 and a 642. I ordered a holster for the 640 and they made it to fit the 642 so the barrel of my 640 protrudes a 1/4" or so out the open end. It's no big deal but something to remember.
    Gideon

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Ksholder, you asked about the 640 fitting in a 642 holster. It will stick out a bit because the 640 is (non-tapered) 2.125" versus the 642's at 1.875 inches. I have a 640 and a 642. I ordered a holster for the 640 and they made it to fit the 642 so the barrel of my 640 protrudes a 1/4" or so out the open end. It's no big deal but something to remember.
    Gideon
    Gideon - thanks. I found that my LGS had a 640 in stock so I went and tried it with both of my j frame holsters. It fit both. It sticks out of the Kholster ever so slightly but in the Black Ops Pro the barrel is still in the holster.

So I bought it :).
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Links