The Superduper Snubbie thread

This is a discussion on The Superduper Snubbie thread within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; S&W J.jpg Click to Enlarge Older Style .38 Special M640 and M649 with Crimson Trace Laser Grips, along with a newly acquired M642. I bought ...

Page 72 of 99 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374757682 ... LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 1485
Like Tree673Likes

Thread: The Superduper Snubbie thread

S&W J.jpg
    Click to Enlarge
    Older Style .38 Special M640 and M649 with Crimson Trace Laser Grips, along with a newly acquired M642.

I bought the M642 when I saw that they were being produced without the lock!

These are for those rare times when I can't manage to hide one of my Glock 27's (I have yet to find a smaller trustworthy semiauto*).

Wife prefers the pictured Federal Nyclads in the 640 and 649 for her primary carry.

Neither of us is interested in a .357 snub!

*...and yes, I have tried 9mm/.380 Kahrs and the Beretta Nano!...Hmmm..., maybe a Seecamp .380 someday?
    Last edited by Glockwatcher; February 13th, 2012 at 07:14 PM.

2. Remove Ads

my favorite thread on DC

Here are 3 of my snubbies. (Model 10, 442 and 686).

Snubbie.JPG
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

S&W Chief Special 3 inch

S&W Chief Special 3inch HB

When I started as a cop (1981) most agencies around here carried S&W Revolvers, mostly K frames. Among the more knowledgable shooters, the 3 inch Chief's Special was a very popular off duty & backup gun. I bought the first one I ever fired. (A friend made me a deal. I made the last payment on the day President Reagan was shot).

At that time the County Traffic Police was separate from the Sheriff's Department (they merged in January of 1982). Among the avid shooters there was one group that carried S&W Auto pistols. (Many of them carried Walther PP or PPK or PPK/S pistols as hideout guns); another group that carried Colt Pythons (with Detective Specials as hide-out guns) and a final group that preferred the Smith & Wesson revolvers, mostly 5 inch Model 27s. And ALL those guys had 3 inch Chief Specials for hideout guns.

I always thought the 3 inch J frames balanced better and looked cooler. .

I currently own an M36 with the 3 inch tapered barrel, an M36 with the 3 inch heavy barrel, an M60 stainless with the 3 inch heavy barrel, and a (now-discontinued) M650 3 inch heavy barrel in .22LR, that I use as a "practice gun" for the other two.

Originally, for service ammo I used the S&W Nyclad 125 grn "Chief's Special" load, later made by Federal .

Then I switched to the WW 158 grn Lead SWC HP +P and then to the Federal 129 grn Hydro-Shock HP. Iwas about to switch to the Speer 135 grn +P HP, but then the PD made a change in policy and mandated the use of Hornady Critical Defense FXT hollowpoints for any secondary or concealment guns, and so Iím using the 110 grain hollowpoints.

I usually carry the guns in a traditional leather IWB holster with a thumb break retainer, and reloads are Bianchi speed strips or HXS speedloaders carried in a Safariland 371 split six speedloader carrier.
    ctr, Secret Spuk and gunthorp like this.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    This is now my family of snubbies; Just posted this in another thread about my gun show wandering but it fits here too. The SP101 & S&W 36 are new additions.
    top left = Dan Wesson 15-2 357 Magnum, top right = S&W 36 (nickle) 38 Sp, bottom left = Ruger SP101 dao 357 Magnum, bottom right = Ruger LCR 38 Sp

...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    This is now my family of snubbies...
    Oh wow, I knew about Dan Wesson interchangeable barrels, but didn't realize they were available in 2". Dig that squared-off underlug! I'm sure the 36 is a much handier carry, but that Dan Wesson is the bees knees.

Took me a while to get a good photo. I wanted sunshine, and was hoping to have some nice wooden grips on her, but here's my 642. Yes, it has a lock. It's a start. Those are vintage 1985 Nyclads. The t-shirt is a memorial to the officer murdered on duty in 1999 in the town where I am a firefighter.
    Last edited by Cory1022; February 18th, 2012 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Called Nyclads Hydra-Shoks. Duh.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glockwatcher View Post
    S&W J.jpg
    Click to Enlarge
    Older Style .38 Special M640 and M649 with Crimson Trace Laser Grips, along with a newly acquired M642.

I bought the M642 when I saw that they were being produced without the lock!

These are for those rare times when I can't manage to hide one of my Glock 27's (I have yet to find a smaller trustworthy semiauto*).

Wife prefers the pictured Federal Nyclads in the 640 and 649 for her primary carry.

Neither of us is interested in a .357 snub!

*...and yes, I have tried 9mm/.380 Kahrs and the Beretta Nano!...Hmmm..., maybe a Seecamp .380 someday?
    Nice picture. Sadly, the Nyclads have been discontinued. They were my favorite load for a revolver.

Nylon coated bullets have gone out of style, it seems. Hornady seems to be doing a good job of filling the style gap with it's rubber tipped bullets though.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Ah yes, there it is. I thought I'd heard about Nyclads being re-introduced.

Federal Premium - Handgun Details

and you get buy them here... pretty pricy though.
    Personal Defense Ammo 38 Special 125 Grain Nyclad Hollow Point Box of 20
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

My 1985 box says $15.95. For 50.

The status says discontinued by manufacturer.

No offense, but $1/round is not unusual for modern defensive ammo. For my 9mm I would stick with something running around $1 a round since it will take a bit of ammo to make sure it is reliable, but if I were carrying a snubbie I would have no problem paying more since it isn't going to take more than a cylinder or two to make sure it works right and is accurate.

My life is worth more than cheap carry ammo.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

VIP Member

The Nyclad was re-introduced a couple of years ago after a long abscense. Federal has since pulled them from the market. The Midway link notes that the manufacturer has discontinued the product. Try adding to cart, and the cart indicates the product is not available, but discontinued.

As of last week the local police supplier was still stocking Federal Nyclads (in 50-round white boxes), and was not restricting sale to LEO's.
    Last edited by Glockwatcher; February 19th, 2012 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glockwatcher View Post
    As of last week the local police supplier was still stocking Federal Nyclads (in 50-round white boxes), and was not restricting sale to LEO's.
    Today I picked up a few more boxes of Federal Nyclad and was informed by that same cop-shop manager that it is still available. He has to order a minimum of one pallet at a time. I didn't ask how many cases were on a pallet, but he seems to have no trouble selling them at $21.99/50-round box. I haven't seen it at any of the other local gun shops, though.

Links