The Superduper Snubbie thread - Page 74

The Superduper Snubbie thread

This is a discussion on The Superduper Snubbie thread within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; DC, that's the Navy LCR, yes? Quit handsome. I'm fascinated with these LCR colors. Good or bad, Ruger might well be the Spyderco of the ...

Page 74 of 99 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884 ... LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 1485
Like Tree673Likes

Thread: The Superduper Snubbie thread

DC, that's the Navy LCR, yes? Quit handsome. I'm fascinated with these LCR colors. Good or bad, Ruger might well be the Spyderco of the handgun world.

My LCR turned brown after a couple hundred rounds.

HPIM2881.jpg

Sent it back to Ruger to fix a "broken firing pin" issue and had it refinished too. I've since installed an XS Dot.

HPIM2926.jpgHPIM2925.jpg

Shoot the dot! Got it!

>Wondering Off topic<

Now, back to the earlier nyclad distraction that I so obtrusively introduced into this thread, not that's it's out of place in this thread given the popularity of nyclads with snubbies..... I did some quick clicking and found that Federal introduced it's nyclad line in the early '80s. This is the nyclad timeline that I was familiar with until I found out that Federal bought the technology from S&W - remember S&W ammo? - in the early '70s. That sounds pretty close to "late sixties."

Anyway, Snubbie on, Gentlemen.

Thanks for the update. I wasn't sure. Appreciate it.

DC
    Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    DC, that's the Navy LCR, yes? Quit handsome. I'm fascinated with these LCR colors. Good or bad, Ruger might well be the Spyderco of the handgun world.

My LCR turned brown after a couple hundred rounds.
    I wasn't aware that there were different colors with the LCR .38. I had my local guy order it and assumed it would look like what I saw online, and it did.

So, the aluminum on your was grey but turned brown?

Pics soon! Give me a min

posted via tapatalk using android.

Quote Originally Posted by DC View Post
    I wasn't aware that there were different colors with the LCR .38. I had my local guy order it and assumed it would look like what I saw online, and it did.

So, the aluminum on yours was grey but turned brown?
    Mine is stainless, KLCR .357. It turned from black to brown and the refinish is black. That's the standard color. There are some Talo editions out there - Blue Grey (Navy), OD Green (Army), Grey, and Tan are what I've seen so far.

DC
    Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    Mine is stainless, KLCR .357. It turned from black to brown and the refinish is black. That's the standard color. There are some Talo editions out there - Blue Grey (Navy), OD Green (Army), Grey, and Tan are what I've seen so far.
    What does the K mean (KLCR)? I'm not sure if I'd call mine Grey or Blue Grey.

I did consider the .357 but because it weighs more (I wanted as little weight as possible), costs around $50 more, and it would kick like a mule, I decided on the .38

...of course I wouldn't mind owning all 3 version if money wasn't an issue.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    FYI I believe nyclad ammo was first introduced in the late 60's which indeed makes it appropriate for the time of that weapon.
    Not quite. Federal started making the round in the 1980's. There was another company prior to that that made something similiar in the late 70's I believe. In the 80's it was all part of the hysteria/myth about piercing bullet proof vests and all that nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    Not quite. Federal started making the round in the 1980's. There was another company prior to that that made something similiar in the late 70's I believe. In the 80's it was all part of the hysteria/myth about piercing bullet proof vests and all that nonsense.
    This was already posted 6 posts up... but thanks again for the clarification.

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    This was already posted 6 posts up... but thanks again for the clarification.

With 1103 posts he PROBABLY din't read them all before posting, I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Nice first post & welcome to DC.
    Your photo reminded me that my 696 (3" bbl) fits the definition of snubby.

I know that this is a older post in this thread. But does anyone know what grips are on this?

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by m_williams View Post
    I know that this is a older post in this thread. But does anyone know what grips are on this?

I THINK those are from Gun Grips for Sale| Colt 1911, Python and Woodsman - Exotic and Beretta Wood |Revolver and Handgun Grips

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Not entirely on topic, but I did leave my beloved 1911 behind tonight in favor of pocket carrying my .357 snubbie.

I don't care how much you love your Glocks, your Springfields, your M&Ps, your Berettas, or whetever else it is you love; pick up a snubbie and you will feel safer and more confident than ever before.

Windicator.jpg
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Thumbs up

I've been looking at this forum for the past 3 hours and don't have any drool left..........

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    In the 80's it was all part of the hysteria/myth about piercing bullet proof vests and all that nonsense.
    I'm reasonably certain the NyClad bullet was the result of an effort to reduce airborne lead emissions in regards to use in indoor ranges.

On another note... apparently S&W is paying attention. A local dealer here had their annual "S&W blow-out" sale this past week-end, and was selling 642s for $350 + tax. Good price on the "gold standard" snubby, but what got my attention was the box. Gone is that expensive plastic one-size-fits-all monstrosity, replaced by a variation of the old "tri-fold" cardboard box that replaced the gusseted-corner "blue box".

Two friends bought one each. Both have neither the time nor the extra funds to wait on/pay for a no-lock example. The lock is easily dealt with, and was done so on these two. The quality of both revolvers is excellent. And it would appear that they passed on the savings they realized regarding the cheaper box to the consumer.

At any rate, the snubby is alive and well. I wasn't very impressed with the LCR, but the J frames continue to please; lock or no lock.

Got another snubbie tonight. 649 in nickel, no lock. For 370, I couldn't resist. I love the old humpbacks.
    Attached Images
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Links