Decided I had to have a 1911...It's all your fault!

This is a discussion on Decided I had to have a 1911...It's all your fault! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It seems like everytime I go to the range, somebody wants me to try their 1911. You guys already gave me the bug, but now ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decided I had to have a 1911...It's all your fault!

It seems like everytime I go to the range, somebody wants me to try their 1911. You guys already gave me the bug, but now I'm addicted. I searched here and everywhere else for the best value 1911, and the answer I came up with was the SA Loaded, but ever since I saw the Grand Raptor II, I can't stop thinking about it.

P.S. This isn't another spend my money thread. I've already ordered it, for better or worse.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Kerbouchard; March 26th, 2008 at 02:56 PM. Reason: add info
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Get the SA loaded over the raptor . The raptor looks " sexy " but the SA will run " sexy " LOL .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Very nice Kimber. Can't wait for the range report. Please don't torture test this gun like you did your Neos.

B.T.W. This site is going to break me too. I've got to get me a 1911.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

AEA
    Easy Button.......get BOTH!

Then sell or trade the one you like least and.......you will be in the same boat as the rest of us 1911 lovers!
    It will NEVER end!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Get the SA loaded over the raptor . The raptor looks " sexy " but the SA will run " sexy " LOL .
    I know, I know...But everytime I close my eyes the Kimber keeps dancing around screaming "Buy Me!". If it don't shoot it will be the sexiest paper weight I own.

The Kimber seems to have a Love/Hate thing going with it. All the Kimber's I have shot/borrowed have been 100%. The external extractor definitely had issues, and I think a lot of the Hate stems from those.

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72
    Very nice Kimber. Can't wait for the range report. Please don't torture test this gun like you did your Neos.
    Don't worry about it. I couldn't afford it. 3000 rounds of .45 in two days? Makes me cringe just thinking about what that would do to the bank account.

Speaking of which, I ordered a Lee Classic Turret this morning.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

Who is John Galt?

All the Kimber series II pistols have the firing pin block, right? Do the SA 1911 pistols have something similar?

-JT

Not trying to hijack here. But I just put a Stainless Custom II in layaway. I'll get it out next month. Waiting is killing me.

AEA
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    All the Kimber series II pistols have the firing pin block, right? Do the SA 1911 pistols have something similar?

-JT
    Kimber Series II's = Yes.

SA 1911's do not have the firing pin block (Swartz Safety).
    Instead, they have a lighter firing pin and a heavier firing pin spring that virtually eliminates the possibility of the firing pin reaching the primer in the event of a drop.

Since I didn't have a 1911 in the safe anymore I bought a Springfield "Loaded".

All my guns have to be able to go BANG when I manipulate the trigger thingie, or I get rid of them. I too liked the looks of the Kimber "Raptor" and thought I wanted one. However, after much research I went with what I considered the better value for my dollar.

If you are in to paperweights, then no worries. If it runs good, the Raptor, then no worries. Good luck and enjoy whatever you decide on.

Biker

I already ordered the Grand Raptor II...Should pick it up in 3-5 weeks. The wait is going to kill me.

Maybe I will be one of the lucky thousands upon thousands of people who don't have problems with their Kimbers.

Who is John Galt?

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    FYI i dont own a raptor , but i have a bud who now has 3 10mm , .45 and .38supe . In all cases they are external extractor , and fine pistols for about 200 rounds then things go to hell in a handbasket untill they are stripped and cleaned . The raptor is IMHO simply built to be a showpiece , an accurate showpiece but none the less like many " target " 1911s they achieved one thing at the expense of another . I love the looks but wouldnt carry any of the 3 i have shot .
    The springer or even my colt xse cheapie will outrun the raptor before the day is over lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    I know, I know...But everytime I close my eyes the Kimber keeps dancing around screaming "Buy Me!". If it don't shoot it will be the sexiest paper weight I own.
    Yikes - and the most expensive paperweight too! I hope it works out for you (but I think I'd shoot the springer first just to see) - best of luck!

Plan B

JD
    Administrator

This forum is bad for my checking account
    Raptor is sexy!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

The bug hit me a few years ago also.

But all is well, I have a Sig again!
    "Nice grips, weird choice of etching" Rocky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links