Off-duty, pocket, jogging gun help needed

This is a discussion on Off-duty, pocket, jogging gun help needed within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need a gun for off duty use when my Glock 26 is too big. I also want something I can carry while jogging. I've ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Off-duty, pocket, jogging gun help needed

I need a gun for off duty use when my Glock 26 is too big. I also want something I can carry while jogging. I've already seen two rather large dogs that approached me and my wife while walking our dogs.

Price isn't so much a factor as I'll just wait longer and save for whatever the price is. but here are the models I'm looking at.

1. Ruger LCP (this will be particularly good if the Kel-tec belt clip works, I'd have to see one in person but it seems to be much higher quality than the Kel-Tec which you will see is not on my list. It's also the least expensive so I won't feel too bad if it starts to rust from being exposed to sweat)

2. Kahr P380 (pretty much the same size as the Ruger but the Sights are alot better and can be replaced with night sights. I have had 2 Kahrs before and wasn't really impressed with their quality, maybe their QC has improved since then)

3. Seecamp LWS 380 (I already have a LWS32 and its an awesome gun. But I worry that I'll be carrying such a nice gun jogging with me and the finish could start to pit/rust from sweat exposure, Smallest of the bunch and yet has the same capacity as the largest, Other downside is there are no sights which means the range at which I can take accurate shots is more limited than the other 3)

4. Rohrbaugh R380 (Largest and heaviest of the bunch. I've really been jonezing for a Rohrbaugh, but again I'd worry about screwing up the finish on such a piece of art)

All guns listed have a 6+1 capacity. Cheapest price around $300. Most expensive at $1000.

let me know which one you think.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

Sponsor
    Get the Seecamp, don't worry about rust or pitting [ you'll clean and lube it regularly won't you? ]

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

I run/cycle with my Seecamp.

I would vote for Elsie Pea myself (Ruger LCP). Small, inexpensive and so far it is reliable. The light weight would be ideal for jogging, walking the dog - a grab and go gun if you will. This one is next on my list.

I run, mountain bike, and sail with my Kel-Tec P32. The P32 is the only pocket gun I own. I realize the 32ACP round is looked down upon... but it's better than spit wads.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I'd try the LCP; if it's reliable it'll be perfect for the job, HOWEVER, you will have to wipe down the slide or you'll get rust. I held one yesterday and was amazed how nearly identical it is to my P3AT. But it seem so have a better feel to it, smoother, etc. If I didn't already have a reliable P3AT I'd want one.

The R9 would bounce a lot when running and even the seecamp might be a bit heavy for jogging...

I've gone jogging with my Bersa Thunder .380 in a Smartcarry. I found it very comfortable and just about forgot I had it on. I prefer the Smartcarry to pocket carry, as it is much more secure and won't bounce around. In this case, carry method/holster choice may be a more important factor than the actual pistol.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
    I've gone jogging with my Bersa Thunder .380 in a Smartcarry. I found it very comfortable and just about forgot I had it on. I prefer the Smartcarry to pocket carry, as it is much more secure and won't bounce around. In this case, carry method/holster choice may be a more important factor than the actual pistol.
    I enthusiastically second that.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

If you are not opposed to carrying a .45 around, check out the Colt "New Agent". Very sweet shooting gun...and small, too. I have a real hankerin' for one to use as my CCW. Be forewarned, they can be hard to locate...because they come out of the Colt Custom Shop.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
    In this case, carry method/holster choice may be a more important factor than the actual pistol.
    This is an excellent point. The carry method and holster selection must be geared towards minimal movement as one jogs, bikes, whatever but also provide comfort.

Here is a thread I started last year about carrying while running.

I run and would like to carry my Seecamp .32. How would you do that any how?

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    75.. i fear i honestly dont understand You mentioned off duty and this leads me to belive you have an approved list of guns and need a carry method for one or more . If your carrying on a " normal " ccw rather than your departmental one well that is a whole nother issue lol . I have to say tho as far as any off duty carry goes stay stictly in departmental policys . Imho following dept policy off duty is much more prudent than exerting rights because i would like a " better " gun .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

My initial thought would be to use a 5.11 Holster shirt as long as it fits snug so the gun will be helt tight. If it doesn't work so what at least I'll have a good undershirt for patrol work out of it. Also it has a pocket under each armpit so I can carry my ID's under one arm and the gun under the other.

To be honest thats why I am hoping the Ruger LCP can either use the Kel-Tec belt clip or someone make one for the Ruger. Because then I could just get a pair of jogging shorts that can at least hold the weight of the gun and that should work just fine. And I guess I could have the slide duracoated or hard chromed to prevent rust.

I pamper all my guns. So when a gun gets subjected to some harsh treatment I make sure I either clean it or at least wipe it down real good. But I still worry about ruining the finish on the Seecamp.

The Ruger and Seecamp are the 2 top choices. One is a piece of art that I can pass down to my children, the other is inexpensive and functional.

Well I can get a CHL and carry on that off duty. The only problem is they took all guns that can be pocket carried off the list. The Glock 26 is the smallest on the list. So I'd rather carry on a CHL and off the approved list if it means I'll go unarmed if I only carry whats approved. Trust me I carry the Glock 26 all the time and have become very comfortable with it, but I can still see and have encountered times when I have to go unarmed because I just can't conceal it or carry it for some reason duty to either activity or dress.

I will speak with the firearms instructors and see if they will at least consider the Kel-tec/Ruger guns for the specific reason I'm asking about here. It's just frustrating that I have to make the decision to violate policy just to be able to defend myself.

Have you concidered a revolver? The 340sc scandium and titanium vertually rust proof. At 12 oz it might be the lightest as well. I love mine in sweats.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links