Thinnest/Flattest .40?

Thinnest/Flattest .40?

This is a discussion on Thinnest/Flattest .40? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Are Kahrs the thinnest .40's?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thinnest/Flattest .40?

Are Kahrs the thinnest .40's?

Walther will be coming out with a .40 cal PPS sometime in the future. They are pretty thin: http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...04&isFirearm=Y

Might want to wait a little while though...

There is also the LS40! Many people have never heard of STI, but they are a great company that specialize in high-quality 1911 style pistols. Ask any USPSA/IPSC shooter and they'll tell you: STI International - LS9, LS40
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

+1 on what glock said. You don't want to be the research and development person for a gun company that just brought out a new gun and has yet to work out all of the bugs. Wait 6 months or longer if you are wanting the new PPS .40 caliber. Kahrs are indeed the thinnest especially in the P series and have been around long enough to work out any problems they may have had in the beginning.

That STI looks nice, I will have to look around and see if anyone carries that here in Vegas. Anyone know what the the MK40 is at its thickest point?

+1 on the STI; STI absolutely rules the competition circles in handgunning with their high-capacity modular frames, and they have in the past few years begun to move into the law enforcement and concealed carry markets as well. they have a unique perspective on things because the guys that run STI are all competitive shooters themselves, so they figure out what works and what doesn't very quickly due to the fact that they "battle test" the guns in competitive environments prior to releasing them to market.

Good luck.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Is MK9 close enough?

Quote Originally Posted by XD40Brian View Post
    Anyone know what the the MK40 is at its thickest point?
    I don't have a MK40, but my MK9 is 0.90 inches across the slide and 0.94 inches across the grips, with factory black grip panels installed. The slide release does protrude a bit on the left side of the gun.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Well so far the options I am considering are a Kahr in .40 and the STI LS40, anyone have any other suggestions or pros and cons for one vs the other?

I'd check out the Walther PPS: Category - PPS - New
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC4 View Post
    I'd check out the Walther PPS: Category - PPS - New
    Thanks. The .40 isnt out yet though and I cant seem to find information as to when it is coming out.

Thanks. The .40 isnt out yet though and I cant seem to find information as to when it is coming out.
    I'm not sure they aren't out. Davidson's has them listed as "allocated" which normally means they have some but only for their best volume dealers. If they weren't in stock, they just wouldn't be listed or number would read 0. There may be some out there in the hills, I just don't know where.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    I'm not sure they aren't out. Davidson's has them listed as "allocated" which normally means they have some but only for their best volume dealers. If they weren't in stock, they just wouldn't be listed or number would read 0. There may be some out there in the hills, I just don't know where.

Hoss
    Hmm thats interesting. I cant find any info on Walther's website about them being out, I will have to check around. So I guess its between PPS in .40 (if its out), Kahr (probably MK40), and the STI LS40. Anyone have any input on which of those would be the best choice and why?

Well so far the options I am considering are a Kahr in .40 and the STI LS40, anyone have any other suggestions or pros and cons for one vs the other?
    That's like a shovel vs. track hoe. Get the STI!
    Life is to short for ugly guns!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    That's like a shovel vs. track hoe. Get the STI!
    Life is to short for ugly guns!
    What is the benefit of the STI over the Kahr? (I don't know much about 1911's in general or STI)

I avoid the poly-framed Kahr models, especially in .40 S&W and larger calibers. You seldom hear any issues with the "K" or "T" (metal framed) series. Yes, they are slightly wider (and considerably heavier) but, IMHO, a better bet.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    I avoid the poly-framed Kahr models, especially in .40 S&W and larger calibers. You seldom hear any issues with the "K" or "T" (metal framed) series. Yes, they are slightly wider (and considerably heavier) but, IMHO, a better bet.
    The Kahr I have been looking at is the MK40 (the smallest metal framed version) or the k40.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links