32acp

32acp

This is a discussion on 32acp within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I did some searching and found some valuable info but would really like to hear what you all think of the .32acp caliber for a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 32acp

32acp

I did some searching and found some valuable info but would really like to hear what you all think of the .32acp caliber for a CCW?? I've read info where some people believe there is really no noticeable difference between the 32 and the 380 and other options that think the there is a big difference and the 380 would be the lowest effective carry caliber? What do you guys think?

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    While I wouldn't volunteer to get shot by one, I don't believe the .32 has adequate penetration to be useful as a defensive round. It beats throwing a rock, but only because you would have to bend over and find another rock after you threw the first one.

I personally won't go with less than a .380 (and then only if I have no other option), especially since there are .380 pistols available now that are virtually the same size as most .32's.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

You'll find a lot of solid opinions here, but personally, I carry a 9MM, and might consider a 380, but only as a BUG. Lots of folks know a lot more here tho, so just hold on......

I don't know. Here is a link to some 32ACP shot into ballistic gelatin from a Kel-tec P32. Would hate to be smote by that.

Distinguished Member
    For what reason would you like to carry a 32 over a 380??? If a readily available 9-mm could be found in the P-3at size I would be all over that.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

If you ever get in a gunfight with a tomato can the .32 ACP will acquit itself quite nobly. Beyond that, it is a non-combatant. You deserve a much better cartridge than this.

JayPee

ok, this is were i make some mad. a .32 acp will work, a 22lr will work, a .25 acp will work. but with the small 380 guns like kel tec and ruger i would move up to the 380. see it is all about,,, will you carry the gun. a .32 acp in hand is better than two 45's at home or in the car. you are not going to be in a "made for tv" gun fight. you carry the gun for protection. when it hits the fan you will shoot five real fast and then run away real fast.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I carry a 32 or 380 for bug duty. 32 ACP is always in FMJ to help on penetration. Primary is 40 or 9.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I really like small guns, guardian and seecamp, but the guardian in 380 is too heavy and the seecamp in 380 is too expensive, so that why I was looking at maybe the guardian in 32. Doesnt really apppear to be any other options in this size package.

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker497 View Post
    I really like small guns, guardian and seecamp, but the guardian in 380 is too heavy and the seecamp in 380 is too expensive, so that why I was looking at maybe the guardian in 32. Doesnt really apppear to be any other options in this size package.
    Isnt the Ruger LCP similar in size and lighter then both at around $300?

Quote Originally Posted by XD40Brian View Post
    Isnt the Ruger LCP similar in size and lighter then both at around $300?
    It's lighter and similar in slimness but almost and inch longer than the seecamp or guardian. I already have a P3AT I was looking for something even smaller (mainly in terms of length); ie guardian or seecamp.

It's lighter and similar in slimness but almost and inch longer than the seecamp or guardian. I already have a P3AT I was looking for something even smaller (mainly in terms of length); ie guardian or seecamp.
    The overall length of the gaurdian in .380 is 4.75" the LCP (and kel-tec) is 5.16" overall. Thats less than half an inch. Seecamp does appear to have a .380 that is only 3.25" overall though.

I meant the guardian in .32 and both seecamps, thanks.

I meant the guardian in .32 and both seecamps, thanks.
    Oh. Well to me it seems more worth the extra length for a larger caliber. Its your gun though so you have to get what suits you.

My .32 Kel-tec is a go every where gun, I got mine before the 380 version came out. If buying today, the new Ruger or Kel-tec .380 would get my nod.
    I based my .32 purchase on an article called "One Shot Stop" by Evan P. Marshall in the February 1998 American Guardian. The .32acp had a one shot stopping % of 66 with Win. silvertips. The .380 with Fed HS was at 71% while the 2 inch .38 with 158gr+p lead HP's rated 67%.
    Since I was toting a j-frame, I downsized to the .32. 2 books out by Marshall with Edwin Sanow on the subject, 'Handgun Stopping Power' and "Street Stoppers". Good reading of the most extensive real life results of documented shootings that I've seen.
    I just love my .45s' though
    "Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be Happy" Ben Franklin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links