my g22...too big?

This is a discussion on my g22...too big? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; so I am 5-10 and 165. I ccw a Glock g22 owb most of the time, but IWB sometimes. It just seems like its a ...

Thread: my g22...too big?

my g22...too big?

so I am 5-10 and 165. I ccw a Glock g22 owb most of the time, but IWB sometimes. It just seems like its a little big for me. I am a pretty small guy, and a full frame seems to not suit my body too well (I always end up dressing around the gun). I am interested in a subcompact, but dont have any experience with ccw'ing them. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Try a 23 or 27, seems like a logical choice to me.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have a Glock 19 and 23 and they are definately easy to conceal for me. I have a hard time concealing my G17/G22 well because of the attire I wear.

kpw
    Which IWB holsters have you tried? I find it's easier to hide a full size gun IWB than OWB. The hardest part for me was finding a comfortable holster.

P2000sk?

Since you like .40 caliber and polymer, how about an H&K P2000sk in .40? It is much shorter in slide and grip than the Glock 22, more streamlined, and would still give you about 9 shots in the magazine. Here is one of Lunde's photos of this gun (in 9mm):

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

The G27 is a perfect carry for me IWB in my Scorpion holster @ 3 o'clock. The G19 also does very well in the same at the same position. I'm a jeans/t-shirt person. I carry these with shirt tucked, or un-tucked. I'm not thick, and I'm not thin, but yesterday, I carried my G17 in this fashion just to try it. My t-shirt has to be un-tucked for sure with the large frame Glock for me. Bending or stooping, maybe even reaching might print the butt of the Glock. Nobody seemed to notice though. I won't be carrying the large frames often in this manner---probably not at all since I have the alternatives.

Pogo,
    Afraid the P2000 is a little out of my price range at $750. I am going to be trading my G22, but I dont want to have to pay a lot to upgrade, since my G22 is in near new condition, literally. OH, how I would LOVE to own one of those though! Any other suggestions?

kpw,
    Oddly enough, I dont have much IWB experience. I got a cheapie about a year ago just to try it, and it conceals much better. Even more odd, my best concealing OWB holster is a Fobus..I know they are supposed to be crap, but it just FITS my body, ya know? I am just trying to get a smaller frame..it feels so large on me. Been carrying it for three years now, and it will be so sad to see it go...

Even more odd, my best concealing OWB holster is a Fobus..I know they are supposed to be crap
    Where did you learn this? Not to pry or anything, but folks on this forum (me included) don't know anything when it comes to you. You is important--take everything you hear or see with a grain of salt and consider them only mere suggestions for you to pursue.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyglock View Post
    kpw,
    Oddly enough, I dont have much IWB experience. I got a cheapie about a year ago just to try it, and it conceals much better. Even more odd, my best concealing OWB holster is a Fobus..I know they are supposed to be crap, but it just FITS my body, ya know? I am just trying to get a smaller frame..it feels so large on me. Been carrying it for three years now, and it will be so sad to see it go...
    Those are your problems right there

I'm about the same size you are (I'm 5'10" and 170) and I alternate between the G17 (if I'm carrying at 4:00) and G19 (if carrying "appendix IWB" style).
    A good quality IWB holster and belt will help a lot with keeping the weapon in tight. However, if you think a G22 is simply too big, swap it for a G23 (or better yet, a 19 ).
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Ram Rod,
    Thanks for the reply. Good words.

KenpoTex,
    I also own a Blackhawk Serpa holster for it, in my attempt to purchase something of a bit higher quality. That thing sticks the G22 like 2 feet from your belt. It prints, not matter what I am wearing. I am considering trading to a G19, but its in a little worse shape than my G22, or getting something smaller like the M&P subcompact.

kpw
    You might want to try something similar to a Watch Six from Milt Sparks. I have a VM II that I'll be selling shortly to get a WS for my G19. As much as I like the VM II, I prefer the thinner profile of the WS.
    Might want to give some of these a look.

Milt Sparks Holsters
    UBGholsters >IWB
    K&D Holsters | Custom Gun Leather and Shooting Accessories
    5 Shot Leather - IWB

Links