Sig Choices......oh I don't know which to pick

This is a discussion on Sig Choices......oh I don't know which to pick within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I have it narrowed down finally for my hopefully new carry piece. I am trying to decide between the Sig 220 Compact .45 ACP... ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sig Choices......oh I don't know which to pick

Sig Choices......oh I don't know which to pick

Ok, I have it narrowed down finally for my hopefully new carry piece.

I am trying to decide between the Sig 220 Compact .45 ACP...

or the lovely Sig 239 in .40. In picking them both up, trying them in my IWB holster options, I am pleased with both. They are also quite close in frame size etc and concealability that works for my frame size.

I am trying to decide betwen the .45 and the .40. Not trying to start a caliber war thread, just want to know if anyone has a strong feeling about one or the other firearm.... I have shot neither, but I did shoot a 229 in .40 and I found it to be a sweet and sexy gun. I have shot a Para Warthog in .45 and that wasn't bad, but it was a bit of handful, not outside the realm of expectations however.

I would take either I guess, anyone want to help away on pushing me in one direction or the other?
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

For carry, I'd go with the 239. Smaller, thinner, lighter, yet has .40 firepower.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Like the looks of the 239 better but would rather carry .45 between the 2.

I have both (actually I have a P245 but the P220 compact is pretty much just a rename of the P245) and they are both great guns. Without a doubt, the 239 is much easier too carry IWB. If you carry OWB, it would be a toss-up. With the 45 you get that big wash-tub sized slug but don't discount the 40. With the 40 you get one more round than the 45 and in all most every instance of factory ammunition, the 40 will make more muzzle energy than the 45 though it is with a lighter bullet. If I could only keep one of mine, it would be the 239.

Hoss

Sig P245

Sig P239
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Ditto on what hoss said
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Would pick P239

I believe that .45 and .40 are equally effective at stopping a threat, so I'd be indifferent on the caliber question. But on the basis of looks, I'd prefer the P239 over the P220 compact, as the latter gun looks too much like a "chopped" P220. The P239 has better proportions:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Lead Moderator
    I've always liked my 239.

The good news [BIAS] is that no matter which you pick you can't lose! [/BIAS]
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    Exactly - would you like a million dollars in Euros or pounds sterling? Both are great guns without a doubt. I am partial to the 239 as well, but more from an aesthetics thing than any real advantage one has over the other.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    +1

Personally, I'd probably go with the 239. But that's just because I really, really like that gun.

As far as calibers go, when you get to .40 and .45, you're only talking 5/100 of an inch difference in size, which in my opinion isn't that big a deal. If you compare the velocity and energy between .40 and .45, there isn't a huge difference there either. For your reference, the 165g .40 has more velocity than any .45, and more muzzle energy than any .40 or .45 other than the .45 +P variety.

So it's not like you're losing much, if anything, by using a .40 instead of a .45.

I faced a similar dilema recently trying to choose between a Sig P220 Carry and a Sig P229. Both are the same size, so the choice came down to caliber and capacity.

I ended up with a Sig P229 in 9mm. What a wonderful gun!

Either way you go, you'll end up with a big smile!
    FREEDOM MATTERS!

I like the 239 myself!
    Obama didn't get elected to warranty your muffler. He's here to warranty your life.

Both are excellent.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

+1 for the 239. I'd go for a DAK trigger if I could get it but that just MHO.
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

I own both and quite honestly, on the days that I have off, I spend more time trying to figure out which pistol I'm going to carry.

With modern ammunition, there is really very little difference between the performance of .40 cal or .45 auto. Both are proven rounds.

Both pistols are EXCELLENT choices for every day carry. It just boils down to personal preference.
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    +1

Personally, I'd probably go with the 239. But that's just because I really, really like that gun.

As far as calibers go, when you get to .40 and .45, you're only talking 5/100 of an inch difference in size, which in my opinion isn't that big a deal. If you compare the velocity and energy between .40 and .45, there isn't a huge difference there either.
    As an aside, if you get the 239 in .40, you can swap barrels and shoot 357SIG if you want a hot but light round.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links