Looking for 1911

This is a discussion on Looking for 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for a 1911 for carry and would like some input from the experts. I am looking for most likley a compact but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for 1911

Looking for 1911

I am looking for a 1911 for carry and would like some input from the experts.

I am looking for most likley a compact but not not ruling out a full size.

Are there double stack 1911's beside ParaOrd?

Why do so many complain about reliability with mags and related failures with Kimbers yet so many of you carry them.

For a first 1911 I want a good trigger with sa/da. Or am I off kilter with that. I currently carry an HK p2000 V3 and have never had a single issue with it and would never doubt its ability to perform when needed. I want a 1911 that I feel the same about.

Now I am not looking for a buy this and add these 10 components. I am looking for reliability off the shelf.

Please feel free to show pics ....
    CCWINNC

HK P2000 .40SW
    Para Ord Tac 4 .45acp
    XD 9 Service
    XD 9 SC
    Taurus 651 .357 mag

2. Remove Ads

A 1911 that feels like a HK? I do not consider my self as a expert.but I would suggest a compact 4inch Kimber as below:
    Kimber - Continuing The Legacy

Good luck in your choice!
    Attached Images

Not the feel of an HK the reliability of an HK. Thats the important part.
    CCWINNC

HK P2000 .40SW
    Para Ord Tac 4 .45acp
    XD 9 Service
    XD 9 SC
    Taurus 651 .357 mag

Administrator
    "For a first 1911 I want a good trigger with sa/da." plus double stack.....

Then it's not really a 1911 that you want.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thanks

Thats real helpfull.
    CCWINNC

HK P2000 .40SW
    Para Ord Tac 4 .45acp
    XD 9 Service
    XD 9 SC
    Taurus 651 .357 mag

With the few requirements you've listed, it begs the questions WHY you want a 1911. If you could provide some more requirements, particularly pertaining to its intended use, we may be able to help more, or determine if another gun would serve your needs better.

-JT

With a few exceptions to the rule(Para Ord LDA), a 1911 is single action only designed to be carried Condition 1(aka cocked and locked). If you can get past that then reliablility is pretty pistol specific. There are some brands that lend themselves to being more reliable than others but how much are you looking to spend? For an overload of info check out 1911Forum.com - 1911 news, reviews, and more! Those guys eat, breath and sleep 1911s.

Per your requirements the first thing that comes to my mind is a Wilson Combat Compact 1911. As far as I'm concerned they're worth every penny and the CS is first rate so I hear(That's if you even need it). Hope that helps.
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by CCWINNC View Post
    I am looking for a 1911 for carry and would like some input from the experts.

I am looking for most likley a compact but not not ruling out a full size.

Are there double stack 1911's beside ParaOrd?

Why do so many complain about reliability with mags and related failures with Kimbers yet so many of you carry them.

For a first 1911 I want a good trigger with sa/da. Or am I off kilter with that. I currently carry an HK p2000 V3 and have never had a single issue with it and would never doubt its ability to perform when needed. I want a 1911 that I feel the same about.

Now I am not looking for a buy this and add these 10 components. I am looking for reliability off the shelf.

Please feel free to show pics ....
    I don't know of any SA/DA 1911's, they are all single action except the Para LDA, which is a very smooth light double action pull for each shot. If you want SA/DA with a sorta 1911 type grip angle and feel, you might try a CZ style pistol. A SA/DA pistol is not going to be a 1911, by its very definition.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

I currently have a Tac4
    LDA in .45 and love the fact it carries 13+1 in .45. That alot of stopping power. I want a 1911 variant for my collection but also want it to be viable for EDC. My PO TAC 4 just does not seem to have the reliability I am looking for. It fails every couple hundred rounds or so and to me that is not satisfactory.
    CCWINNC

HK P2000 .40SW
    Para Ord Tac 4 .45acp
    XD 9 Service
    XD 9 SC
    Taurus 651 .357 mag

You need a USPc V1 !!!!
    The reason for a 1911 , smooth SA trigger, thin profile,.45!
    The USP used the 1911 as grandparents. LOL
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I'd suggest a Sig Sauer RCS. Extremely reliable and accurate. This is an Officer's Model size alloy grip frame with a 4" top-end. It also has narrow grip panels and Novak night-sights. Can be had all black or two-tone and includes a "melt job". Nice thing is that it is built like a real 1911 (with the exception of the external extracter), in that it uses a barrel bushing and a partial guide rod, so no special tools for takedown. Eminently concealable. Take a look, you won't be sorry.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Administrator
    I am not trying to give you a smart answer or anything.

If you're looking for a firearm with a double action/single action trigger that is double stack then what you want is not a 1911 which traditionally sports a SA only trigger & is single stack.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Reliability and 1911s

Although it pains me to say this, as I have many 1911s and like many things about them, if absolute reliability is your first priority for carry, you may not want to choose a 1911. The H&K P2000sk you now carry may be hard to match in a 1911, from a reliability standpoint.

My basis for saying this is my experience over roughly 40 years, in which I have owned and shot about 60 handguns, of which 12 were 1911s. I have learned that 1911s are more complicated and tempermental about such things as ammunition, magazines, springs and lubrication than several more modern designs. Most of my 1911s, mainly Colts and Kimbers, have worked 98% to 99% of the time. But my guns from Glock, H&K and Sig have worked 99.9% of the time.

I guess if I wanted a very reliable 1911 for carry, I'd probably get one of the "boutique" guns from Wilson, Brown or Baer, which cost in the $2000 range. I think that these are more likely to function well out of the box, and for a long time thereafter.

But if you really want a reliable, single stack carry gun that has the highest probability of working, you should probably consider a Sig P239 or P220 (and not the new P220 carry, which may have issues).
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I am not trying to give you a smart answer or anything.

If you're looking for a firearm with a double action/single action trigger that is double stack then what you want is not a 1911 which traditionally sports a SA only trigger & is single stack.
    QK is correct, but if you do decide to go with a 1911 then you might look at a Commander sized gun( full size frame with a 4 to 4.25 inch barrel). I carry a kimber Pro Carry II, it's easy to conceal and has an 8 round capacity. Most, but not all 1911 manufacturers make a Commander sized model. Do a little research on 1911's and see what you like. The SA/DA debate is moot if you carry cocked and locked like the majority of 1911 owners do. Happy hunting!
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Les Baer has a double stack .40 cal. 1911.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links