Tough choice here

This is a discussion on Tough choice here within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have decided to go with one model for all my concealed carry, not counting my BUG. At present I rotate between a Sig 220, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tough choice here

Tough choice here

I have decided to go with one model for all my concealed carry, not counting my BUG. At present I rotate between a Sig 220, 226, 229, 239, Baer 1911 Supertac, and a Baer Thunder Ranch Commanche in whatever I decide on mode at the moment. I'm sure that I'm loosing precious seconds when push comes to shove, if S***. I'm lost on this one. I'm not selling anything, just bringing myself up to the fastest response on one platform. A incident occurred yesterday that spurred this decision, and I believe it's in my family and myself best interest that I do this. Please add your comments, positive or negative, thanks.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

2. Remove Ads

OD*
    I carry the same platform all the time (not counting the BUG), it may be a different model (Officers, Commander, Government etc.) but they all work the same, I want the familiarity.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    I love my SIG's but I love my 1911's more.

For everyday carry it's a commander sized 1911 for me. I just prefer to stick with one system for carry. I think a single action 1911 is the best for me and my shooting ability.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Well, are you happy with the concealability of each of them? If so, then are you attached to a particular caliber? Do you want to go Condition 1? It seems that setting your priorities will answer the question because those guns are pretty different.

Obviously a Baer if you want to go cocked and locked.

If concealability is top priority, then P239 or Comanche.

If .45 is a must, then Baer or P220.

If capacity is tops, then P226 or P229.

At any rate, picking your top priority should get it down to a choice of only a couple different guns.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Platform familiarity is one of my top priorities, although different platforms. I agree totally.

All I carry are 1911's. Different sizes maybe, but all work exactly the same. Training and muscle memory takes over in a fight or flight situation.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    I too like my Sig 228 but carry my SA Champ 100% of the time now.
    I want to stick with 1 CCW for familiarity. I really like the thumb safety on the 1911 for the remote chance my weapon is snatched the safety may give me that extra second to regain control. JMO
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

kpw
    I'd pick the one you feel most comfortable with and have confidence in. If they were all layed out on the table in front of you and something started, which would you grab first? That is your answer.

I have full 100% confidence in my Baers and Sigs since I maintain them and treat them like the precision machines they are. Well maybe not that well. If they were all in front of me and I needed one, I'd just grab. I eliminated the 226 in 9mm even though I believe that the Corbon 115 gr. +P loads will do the job. It's now a house gun only except range trips.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    M.C.R.G.O.

Administrator
    I think the 229 is the best all around choice in your current stable, with having the option of the using the 239... both carry easy with the right holster/belt.

There is also nothing wrong with the 1911 platform, in fact, if I could I would still use it instead of Sig. I just think with what you currently have, the Sig has more to offer.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Platform familiarity is one of my top priorities, although different platforms. I agree totally.
    +1 Same platform is a great thing.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

I'm new here. I joined up because I wanted to get opinions on snubs vs. compact autos for daily carry. I carry a Sig P220. I love the gun but I don't love to carry it. Weight is an issue, but the bulkiness of the P220 is a bigger issue. I wouldn't recommend it for daily concealed carry.

Oh, I'm six feet tall and weigh 230. I'm not the Hulk but I'm not tiny. I have a friend who's much smaller than me who carries a long barrelled Ruger GP100. So, to each their own. For me the P220 is too bulky.

Quote Originally Posted by Chum View Post
    I'm new here. I joined up because I wanted to get opinions on snubs vs. compact autos for daily carry. I carry a Sig P220. I love the gun but I don't love to carry it. Weight is an issue, but the bulkiness of the P220 is a bigger issue. I wouldn't recommend it for daily concealed carry.

Oh, I'm six feet tall and weigh 230. I'm not the Hulk but I'm not tiny. I have a friend who's much smaller than me who carries a long barrelled Ruger GP100. So, to each their own. For me the P220 is too bulky.
    Not sure how experienced you are at carry, but do you have a good belt? That can make all of the difference in the world.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

I'm 5'11, 175 lbs. and have no problem concealing any of my choices with either a 55BNH or VM2H from Sparks and a belt from the Beltman. The weight issue really doesn't effect me since I just don't notice it. I'm leaning toward one of my 229s or one of my Baers. A excellent belt and hoster are an absolute must for comfortable carry.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    Not sure how experienced you are at carry, but do you have a good belt? That can make all of the difference in the world.
    I have a lot of experience shooting but only a little when it comes to carrying. I do have a thick heavy leather belt and an Uncle Mike's inside the waist holster.

My apologies to the OP if I misunderstood the question. If weight or bulkiness aren't concerns then the full sized Sig P220 .45 is tough to beat imho. But if they aren't I don't really understand the question.

I'm new so I'll just shut up and keep my opinions to myself.... for now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links