Opinions Wanted: concealment for slender frames

This is a discussion on Opinions Wanted: concealment for slender frames within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings! To begin with, i'm fairly new to concealed carry and look forward to reading everyone's opinions and replys in the future! I've been somewhat ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions Wanted: concealment for slender frames

Opinions Wanted: concealment for slender frames

Greetings!

To begin with, i'm fairly new to concealed carry and look forward to reading everyone's opinions and replys in the future! I've been somewhat frusterated with my ability (or inability rather) to successfully conceal on my person. that said...
    I'm 160 lbs and stand about 6' tall. I currently have a Ruger SR9 which i couldn't be more pleased with aside from my difficulty in concealing it.
    So here is my question for everyone. What gun/holster combination would you recommend for someone as myself who is on the skinny side and is highly concerned with remaining concealed.

Here are my thoughts thus far on the subject. feel free to tweak them and/or throw in your .2 cents...
    I know I want to stick to 9mm as i have all the reloading equipment for the cartridge and am pleased with it overall. I have been looking at the major compact designs on the market, i.e. glocks, XD, M&P.
    I considered a Kahr for a short period of time, but didn't feel like i would be confident using it in a shtf moment. I also want the higher ammunition capacity that the other makers offer. Out of these i've really taken to the Smith and Wesson M&P as it fits me well, points naturally in my hand, and less importantly, I like the looks of it. I had also read good things about the CrossBreed holsters on this forum and others. When purchasing my SR9 i hoped its thin design might allow me to conceal it, but to this point i haven't been very successful. I read on the manufacturers' websites that the M&Pc 9mm is thinner than my SR9, and obviously smaller in length and height.
    Does this sound like a reasonable setup for me? Do you think i could conceal well with this setup? and let it be known that when it comes to holsters, my primary concern is functionality so i'm open to all suggestions. Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

With a good belt, a quality holster, and a loose shirt or jacket...you can conceal anything...OMO

Stay armed...dress to conceal...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Since your looking at possibly buying another gun I'd take a look at the CZ P-01. 9MM, 14+1, alloy frame, very accurate and priced decently (around $500.00). I switch between it and its 40 cal brother, the P-06. Your holster will make a big difference in concealability, I like the Galco U.S.A. for IWB carry.

I am 5'11" and weigh 165lbs. I carry a Para-Ord, carry 9 in a Brommeland IWB holster. Other than a J-frame it is the most conceable gun I have carried. I have tried Glock 27 and 23, (to thick) a full size 1911, (to long in barrel and grip) and a Kahr P40. The Kahr concealed OK, but I disliked (hated) the trigger.
    I use an IWB holster and cover with a vest or sweat shirt. Summer time is a J-frame in a smart carry, wearing shorts and t-shirt. Difficult to hide when you are thin.

Member Array Bluegrass Holsters's Avatar
    STU...

contact me via PM or email through my website and include your phone number. I will be happy to speak with you regarding your needs and help you carry your SR9....it CAN be done.

Take care

AMH
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    With a good belt, a quality holster, and a loose shirt or jacket...you can conceal anything...OMO

Stay armed...dress to conceal...stay safe!
    +1
    I am 5' 8" and 150lbs. I carry a SA XD .45 acp with 2 extra full-cap mags. No one ever knows.

The leather and wardrobe is just as important as the gun.
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

I am 5'10" 185lbs, so not exactly slender, but I am in the ballpark. I found the most important thing for me when it came to concealing was the belt. I found my belt to be even more important than my holster choices. With the right belt anything can be concealed. I switch between a Kahr mk40 in a high noon bare asset and a SA xd 40sc in a crossbreed, both conceal great with my beltman belt. I even find that I can conceal an OWB with that belt, which I never thought I could do. The belt is the foundation, and to me is even more important than the holster when it comes to concealing.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

I suggest that you take a critical look at your problem. The SR9 is not a small pistol, but it is slim. So is the barrel the problem, or is it the butt, or is it the width? Or is it a combination? When you have a handle on that, you should be able to judge whether this problem can be solved with a different holster or whether you need a different pistol.

If you need a different pistol, I would take another look at a Kahr. A K9 or a P9 is smaller in every direction and thinner. They do not have double stack magazines, but you can always stick an extra in your pocket. The stats show that in the average shoot out with a BG, three shots are exchanged. A seven round Kahr is more than adequate for that.
    Dieu et les Dames

Skinny CCW guns

For a skinny, easily concealed CCW gun, I would have three suggestions based on guns that I have used. The various Kahr pistols in 9mm or .40 are all quite flat, with thickness generally in the 0.90 to 0.95 inch range for both slide and grip. And the short barrels and grips help in concealment as well.

The 3 inch barrel 1911s are also good, with a slide thickness of 0.90 inches and grip thickness of about 1 inch with thin grip panels. And they give you the .45 ACP caliber, which many people like for defense.

And finally snubby revolvers have very thin barrels and grips, even though they have a cylinder bulge that is thicker. They conceal on the belt very easily because the cylinder bulge is very short in length.

Here are three that I use for your purpose:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I am built just like you. 6'1", 165 lbs, and 32 inch waist. I have carried the Glock 23, Sig 229, and now the Glock 22. You can carry the Ruger concealed.

I know when I first started to carry I thought that the gun was sticking out and everyone knew that the lump on my side was a gun. Trust me, no one knows. Dress around the gun and you will be totally concealed.

If you get a good pancake holster or inside the waistband (IWB) holster you will be fine with the Ruger. I would start with and IWB for the Ruger and when you get more comfortable with carrying go out and get a nice OWB holster. As long as the muzzle doesn't fall below the edge of your cover garment you are fine. Perfect the pull down of the cover garment when getting up from a seated position and no one will be the wiser. Good luck.

I feel your pain... I'm 6'1", 145lbs and I like clothes that fit. I can conceal a fullsize frame 1911(Kimber Pro Carry) with a size large Tshirt. I used a Crossbread IWB with an FBI cant at the 5:00 position. That kept the grip located in the hollow above the back of my hip. I could easily sit, drive, stand, scootch to pick things up and no one ever noticed anything. In fact I had a friend come up and try to poke me in side and he just about broke his finger (he is one of the few people I know that knows I carry). I've only handled an SR9 once but I think a similar setup would work well for your body type. A lot depends on your choice of wardrobe and your level of activity. Around here it's Jeans Tshirt and Flannel most of the time. Hope this helps.
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

Quit smoking - the extra 75 lbs you gain will solve your problem. It worked well for me; I can now conceal a BAR and 2 cans of ammo.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Shootability first, concealability second. Find the gun you can shoot the best, then figure out a way to conceal it. Some folks get carried away with concealability and wind up with a gun they aren't very good with. In an armed confrontation, as your first shot goes, so goes the confrontation, and time to target is the most critical consideration. So if your choice of gun or holster impedes your ability to deliver a fast and accurate opening response to a mortal threat, then you have to change something until that changes. If you can't shoot it, concealing it doesn't do one heckuva lot of good. Sorry, old cop speaking. No disrespect intended.

JayPee
    PS. In my training, "time to target" is generally defined as the amount of time that elapses between the time you recognize the immediate need to defend your life with deadly force until the time your shot strikes your assailant in center of mass.

Senior Moderator
    I'm 6'3" and weigh in at a whopping 143lbs. I have a 30" waist and a 36" inseam.

With a good holster, belt and proper wardrobe selection I can conceal my Taurus PT92.

I usually carry a .380 or snubbie, in a tuckable holster or SmartCarry.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Quit smoking - the extra 75 lbs you gain will solve your problem. It worked well for me; I can now conceal a BAR and 2 cans of ammo.

I was going to suggest lots of fried foods. Eat whatever you want, but fry it. That would solve your problem real quick. Allthough you will most likely develop other problems from this method.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links