Taurus snubbie problem

This is a discussion on Taurus snubbie problem within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Did a search for this but couldn't come up with any help. I recently bought a Taurus 651 from a local gun shop. Said it ...

Thread: Taurus snubbie problem

Taurus snubbie problem

Did a search for this but couldn't come up with any help. I recently bought a Taurus 651 from a local gun shop. Said it was used, about 3 weeks old, and maybe fired 20 times. I read a few places that it might be hard to cycle being pretty new and that I should dry-fire it alot to loosen it up. Well, I've tried that... a lot, and every time I go to the range I can hardly fire a full 5 rounds. The gun just won't turn! It's not jammed, it's not very dirty, it just hangs up. It's almost like the casings are hanging up on the side of the gun. Should I send it in to Taurus to adjust the clearance or is there something I can do to fix it? I really can't trust the gun as a CCW until I figure out what's wrong. Thanks for any help in advance.

2. Remove Ads

Can you see something hanging/catching/binding?
    Is your firing pin retracting after the shot?
    Will it work if you try it with some dummy-rounds or snap-caps?

before sending it in, you may want to call and see if someone can help diagnose the problem. If it's minor, they may even just send you the parts (which saves you the cost of shipping and FFL transfers).
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Can you see if the base of the bullet is hitting the frame of the gun as you cycle it?

Awhile back I had some guy at a certain store recommend practice ammo for me. He recommended Lellier & Bellot .38 special. It worked fine in my SP-101. I tried the same ammo recently in a S&W snubby, and the base of the bullet was too thick to allow the gun cylinder to turn. I tried some different ammo (WWB) and the S&W worked fine.

That's what I get for taking his advice rather than learning from DC.

Administrator
    Just for now I would try some different ammo since all cartridge cases by different makers have slight tolerance differences.

Ultimately and eventually I would send it back to Taurus and take advantage of their Lifetime...We'll keep fixing it as many times as it breaks Guarantee.

That would be unless you find a suitable self defense ammunition that functions reliably in it and you can be satisfied with that.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Assistant Administrator
    Watch out for high primers, loose ejector rod etc ... these things can make cylinder hard to rotate.

Certainly try other ammo first. Not sure from what you said whether dry fire was stiff as all get out or not.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Watch out for high primers, loose ejector rod etc ... these things can make cylinder hard to rotate.

Certainly try other ammo first. Not sure from what you said whether dry fire was stiff as all get out or not.
    Exactly. I was using a particular brand of ammo (can't remember what now) in a S&W 686 and the primers kept backing out after the round was fired. They made the big gun bind up but good.

Another thought...does it have one of those stupid key locks on the hammer? I have no real reason to say this, but just because I hate those things I'd suspect it.
    The keys to winning a gunfight are first to bring a gun and secondly to take your time, quickly.

Always remember that if your opponent is within range, so are you.

POWER TO THE MEPEOPLE!!!

If you can find the magazine Guntests..a recent one had an article about Rossi and Taurus revo's binding up and what they did to fix the problem..I threw out the mag or I'd tell you what they did..sorry I couldn't help more.They may be on line.....
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

yeah,do a google searce for gun tests..it comes up,the write up is in jan 2008...
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

VIP Member
    Crazy question...has a bit of unburned powder or some other form of grit gotten under the extractor star, caught between it and the cylinder?

If you go to the range and load the gun and point it at the ground and cock and uncock the hammer does it lock up? Now point it up and do the same. If it locks up pointed up then you probably need to do the same to it that I did to my 617. See picture it's pretty self explanatory.

"Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

THE SCREW ON THE RIGHT SIDE BELOW THE CYLINDER ON THE FRAME . LOOSEN IT JUST A BIT . I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM BUT AFTER 300rds THE SCREW WOULD BACK ALL THE WAY OUT SO I HAD TOO SCREW IT BACK IN BUT NOT TOO TIGHT !!! I SOLD IT AT 500 RDS........

Thanks for all the replies... I found the gun-tests website and the article, but I can't read it without a subscription. I would love to know what it says if anyone here know.

VIP Member
    It may not look dirty; but, be sure there is not lead/crud in the cylinder preventing rounds that got set back from recoil from being pushed back in place by the recoil shield as it turns. I have had this be an issue.

Links