BUG or extra mags?

This is a discussion on BUG or extra mags? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Though I fully intend to pick up SW642 in a couple of weeks regardless of whether I carry it or not, after spending some time ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BUG or extra mags?

BUG or extra mags?

Though I fully intend to pick up SW642 in a couple of weeks regardless of whether I carry it or not, after spending some time on this forum and browsing other sites I have noticed that a lot of people dont like to carry a BUG. Would it make more sense to reach for another mag rather than a different gun if you were in the unlikely event of a fire fight? If you are already carry extra mags, why not a couple more instead of a BUG, what is the difference? Two mags and a BUG vs. four mags? And then if you are going to go with the BUG shouldn't you have extra ammo for that or not? It seems to me that you could get more ammo for the same weight of a BUG.

Not opposed to a BUG, just some fun dialogue.

Just a thought, anyone care to comment?
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Shotgun Willie, I actually do both: pack a BUG and extra ammo. Here's the kicker, my agency does not authorize BUGs...as such, I can only carry a BUG during my off-duty time. No problem there...that's what my Kahr PM9 is for. What I do now is I carry a Kahr P9 Covert in an IWB holster and the PM9 in a pocket holster off-duty.

The great thing is that both guns have the same manual-of-arms (slide releases and trigger pulls) and utilize the same six round 9mm magazine. As such, I am able to carry one or two seven round magazines (I try to carry two most of the times) in a double pouch which works in both my primary firearm and BUG.

During the days of the old NYPD Stakeout Squad it was SOP to carry BUGs....I think the term "NY reload" started around that time since it was viewed that the quickest reload was the BUG.

I'm a proponent that if you carry a gun (regardless of the number of guns), you should carry at least one reload....that includes a reload for the BUG.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I do both most of the time.

The"New York reload" is far faster than any option when you need shells on tap right now.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

I usually pack extra mags though a BUg wouldnt be bad though of carrying 2 1911's myself

Assistant Administrator
    I think mag's come first - feed the lion before worrying about the kitten!

That said, the option for a New York reload does make a BUG an attractive proposition. No way of knowing what may make primary go south!

In normal course of events - meaning home - office - just SIG and its mag. Go out to town then extra mag. If trip out much more involved then extra mag and R9 gets slipped into pocket too.

A BUG is I confess another piece of baggage - that has to be accomodated but - if I am not sure, it'll be there - in fact thinkin' on it - NAA Mini is almost always there as BUG but hey - that is below mouse category!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp
    I do both most of the time.

The"New York reload" is far faster than any option when you need shells on tap right now.

+1 here
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

If I had to choose between BUG or reload I'll take BUG. I carry both.

Administrator

Time Difference

Some pistols like the Colt 1911 are so quick to reload & put back into instant service that I don't really see any time difference or savings in accomplishing a quick reload or grabbing out a BUG.
    Naturally, for a catastrophic weapon failure I would much rather have a BUG than hafta throw "now useless" extra magazines at the Bad Guy.

I carry both. I carry 3 spare mags for my primary, and 2 spare reloads for the BUG.

Great thoughts guys. I found it interesting while visiting other forums today that so many were against the BUG but not much in the way of reasoning was given. That got me thinking why and thought I would see what you all had to say. Though the other forums I visited weren't bad, this forum seems to have a higher intelligence level throughout. That's why I joined here.

So, back on subject. If a BUG is a good idea in general, should your BUG be a an everyday piece? What I mean by this is not whether or not this is your first defense but rather no matter what the task or errand you have to run, you have this gun on body. Realizing that that is a question somewhat left to personal preference, the thought behind the question is this. As a general rule, most of the BUG's talked about are smaller caliber, less capacity or both. So when the wife tells me to run to the post office or the store and I am wearing basketball pants and a t-shirt is it ok to throw the 642 in pocket and go or should I stop being so lazy and take the two minutes to change clothes so I can take my main carry. It is not unconceivable that an encounter could happen on a 'quick' errand.

Like I said, I know the answer is ultimately a personal one, but the motivation behind the question is one of tactics. Big stick all the time or is comfort and convenience ok sometimes?
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

1952 - 2006
    IMHO which isn't much, I used to carry a Walther PPK/S as a back-up to my 4" Python. Now days I just carry one of my 1911's, one spare mag and my SureFire 6P. I have found that I can reload the 1911 with about the same speed it would take me to drop it and dig for my BUG.
    I also don't like the idea that if it is down to where I need to reload, do I REALLY want to drop to a smaller caliber at that moment?

My 2 cents worth.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun Willie
    Like I said, I know the answer is ultimately a personal one, but the motivation behind the question is one of tactics. Big stick all the time or is comfort and convenience ok sometimes?
    Most people who are 100% against the BUG are either just dyed in the wool types who are devoted to one particular caliber or platform, or they're lying. I don't know a CCW licensee that doesn't have a BUG. For some people the BUG just doesn't work though. It's just like anything else. Some people aren't happy with certain calibers either.

Figure out where you are comfortable at bare minimum, and then dip slightly below it, and there's your BUG. I for instance realize I don't live in a movie and I'm not a Delta commando. A 5 shot capacity .38 with a 1" barrel will realistically handle anything I'd ever need a handgun to do in all probability even though it's not my idea tool.

But then again my primary carry is overkill by my standards, and that just makes me feel a little bit better. Even though I think my 642 is up to the task, I just feel better with a full size revolver or pistol. I'm finding more and more ways to carry my primary all the time. Getting the second XD40 has really made a huge difference already. I can't believe how easy it is to carry it all the time when I have one that lives in my vehicle full time.

To me the BUG represents a way to carry a redundant gun so that you can draw from more than one position, and it represents a way to carry a gun for times you wouldn't be able to carry a gun. For instance I find it awkward to carry my full size guns to church. The little .38 in the pocket works very well however.

It's also a great way just to get used to carrying a gun period because it's so easy. That's what I did. I carried just a BUG for about a month and got used to having a gun on me all the time that way. Now I feel weird all day because I don't have a gun handy.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Evtra mag for me.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Cool Bug Out

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Most people who are 100% against the BUG are either just dyed in the wool types who are devoted to one particular caliber or platform, or they're lying. I don't know a CCW licensee that doesn't have a BUG. For some people the BUG just doesn't work though. It's just like anything else. Some people aren't happy with certain calibers either.

Figure out where you are comfortable at bare minimum, and then dip slightly below it, and there's your BUG. I for instance realize I don't live in a movie and I'm not a Delta commando. A 5 shot capacity .38 with a 1" barrel will realistically handle anything I'd ever need a handgun to do in all probability even though it's not my idea tool.

But then again my primary carry is overkill by my standards, and that just makes me feel a little bit better. Even though I think my 642 is up to the task, I just feel better with a full size revolver or pistol. I'm finding more and more ways to carry my primary all the time. Getting the second XD40 has really made a huge difference already. I can't believe how easy it is to carry it all the time when I have one that lives in my vehicle full time.

To me the BUG represents a way to carry a redundant gun so that you can draw from more than one position, and it represents a way to carry a gun for times you wouldn't be able to carry a gun. For instance I find it awkward to carry my full size guns to church. The little .38 in the pocket works very well however.

It's also a great way just to get used to carrying a gun period because it's so easy. That's what I did. I carried just a BUG for about a month and got used to having a gun on me all the time that way. Now I feel weird all day because I don't have a gun handy.
    I'm the CCW permit holder AND certified instructor who does NOT have a BUG. For me, that concept would apply thusly: I'm carrying an M1A rifle or an M4 and I have a 45 on my hip. Spare mags for both. I think I have just described a soldier.....

My Glock M27 is a primary carry weapon. I have hi-cap M22 mags to wear as spares as well as the standard 9 or 10 rd mags designed to go with the M27. If I need to carry into church, that's what I carry. In fact that's what I usually carry anyway. Now, if I'm on a trip or deep into "Indian Country" I carry a 45, which is one reason I'm getting the H&K USP. Because otherwise, it's lots of sp mags.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    (I'm gonna get buried for this)---BUT---I completely trust my Kimber (so)and I don't carry a extra weapon and ammo so I can hand it to someone else in case they're too stooopid to carry one their self,so no BUG for me.Can think of situations that I would grab up a couple extra mags for the Kimber though. As I have said in the past,carry as many weapons,ammo,flashlights,knives,and etc. as you think that you will need. P.S Don't forget the suspenders.----------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links