1911 motorcycle carry

1911 motorcycle carry

This is a discussion on 1911 motorcycle carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in Minnesota and put about 12000 miles on my motorcycle yearly. I used to have issues with concealing my Kahr P9 while riding, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1911 motorcycle carry

I live in Minnesota and put about 12000 miles on my motorcycle yearly. I used to have issues with concealing my Kahr P9 while riding, then I started pocket carrying a P3AT.

I am now very comfortable carrying my recently aquired 5" colt 1911. I usually carry it OWB at 4:00, but in the hotter months I use a simple galco IWB holster.

My question is this...if the handle of my 1911 shows while riding my motorcycle, can that be misconstrued into brandishing? My gut says NO, but I don't want to scare people or be hassled my the LE's. Any suggestions.
    I'm married to my Kahr.

here in AZ...Im 90% sure that we're allowed to drive with our firearm on the dash...BUT, if we grab the firearm while driving and put it on the dash then that's considered brandishing.

Soooo, I would think if you're riding casually with your firearm showing then that's no big deal.

check with your local and state laws for the answer. or just stick with the kel tec. that is what i do when i am on the bike.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hagphish View Post
    I live in Minnesota and put about 12000 miles on my motorcycle yearly. I used to have issues with concealing my Kahr P9 while riding, then I started pocket carrying a P3AT.

I am now very comfortable carrying my recently aquired 5" colt 1911. I usually carry it OWB at 4:00, but in the hotter months I use a simple galco IWB holster.

My question is this...if the handle of my 1911 shows while riding my motorcycle, can that be misconstrued into brandishing? My gut says NO, but I don't want to scare people or be hassled my the LE's. Any suggestions.
    If it's showing, you may be hassled. You may get pulled over, you may get felony stopped by officers w/ guns drawn, you may get questioned.

Or....

You may not.

If the gun is visible, you have a 50/50 chance every time someone sees it of being hassled by LE. Accidentally cut off a sheep soccer mom? Cops get called. Someone sees you look sideways at them at a stop light, cops could be called.

I will say that I have a co-worker that was a reserve deputy in FL, and even he got felony stopped by his own dept. They didn't even take the time to run the plates before stopping him, some motorist called in a man with a gun "terrorizing" other drivers.

Personally, I'd suggest that if you're wearing a jacket while on the bike, get a shoulder rig and keep your IWB or OWB in a tank bag, tour pack, or saddle bag and change your rig as needed once you get to your destination.

I always wondered what would happen if you should (god forbid) bite it and are rendered unconscious or something. I don't think I would want people handling/running off with my 1911. I may not feel so bad about losing a kel-tec, though.

My 1911 goes in a VMII at 4:30. Virginia is an open-carry state, so if my jacket rides up over the grip, no big deal. I borrowed my pop's JoeRocket mesh jacket last summer on a really hot day and had an Arrestafield county mountie behind me for several miles. It wasn't until I got home my brother pointed out the pistol was fully exposed. Check your state law. Get a good holster. Take it easy.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Here in AZ we're blessed with both open and concealed carry. Here's a guy that's selling his invention like crazy.
    S and S Sales
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I imagine concealed carry on a bike is a challenge.
    Personally, I'd think twice about having a gun showing while on a bike.
    It just seems like trouble waiting to happen IMO.

Wear a longer cover garment...
    Why would you knowingly let your 'advantage' be discovered?

OMO

Stay armed...I do, on my Harley...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks for the advise. I just got back from a brisk minnesota spring ride. I can conceal the 1911 just fine, but there is massive printing going on. But, the print could look like any number of different things.
    I'm married to my Kahr.

huh

I carry a XD45C in a IWB with nothing more than a T-shirt. I have never ever had my shirt fly up and show my gun. I carry 24/7. It would probably get you stopped here in MO though. To many sheeple.

steve

I carry all the time on my MC. full-size 1911. If it shows it shows....I know i am legal here in Ohio so I do not worry about it. Especially since Ohio had the stupid "must be open (unconcealed) in a motor vehicle" clause for a while. Hey, they asked for it so I just followed the letter of the law. And the way I look I figger i look like a cop to a sheeple.
    Back before they got rid of that stupid clause I used to do "gun runs"..I would strap on my biggest handgun and go drive around downtown & around the courthouse and main drags and never got stopped. Again I knew I was 100% legal or else I would not go "pushing" my luck in such a way. lol
    I do think that holster is cool looking but in Ohio not legal...it must be "on yer person" in a motor vehicle.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Since Minnesota is an open carry state it would not be brandishing. I'd feel better carrying inside one of the (many) pockets of my Aerostich suit.

M2
    I carry a XD45ACP Service in a vertical holster rig underneath my leathers. My 1911 would actually be easier to carry as it is thinner; but my XD is my preferred carry weapon and for the most part goes undetected under my leathers. About the only time I worry about it is when I zip open my jacket at a restaurant or someplace. It does suck that I can't take my jacket off, especially in this southcentral Texas heat; but I would rather sweat a little carrying it than sweat a lot being without it!

Oh, and there is no open carry in Texas, so this is about the only option other than a tank bag; and I prefer to have my weapon on my person.

Cheers! M2

P3AT or S&W J-Frame in an inside pocket of a vest and/or in the windshield pouch, or (heaven forbid) a belly bag. Windshield pouch is my favorite, but you need to be very discreet while transferring to your pocket when you stop and park the bike. I would not want to lose my 1911 if something happened and I was out in LaLa Land.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links