Any Reason Not To Get a .32 Seecamp? - Page 2

Any Reason Not To Get a .32 Seecamp?

This is a discussion on Any Reason Not To Get a .32 Seecamp? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Piglet Not to rain on anyone's parade here, but the Seecamp .32 CA Edition I purchased some months ago is NOT reliable. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
    Not to rain on anyone's parade here, but the Seecamp .32 CA Edition I purchased some months ago is NOT reliable. It fails to feed occasionally, with the nose of the round jamming into the upper entrance of the chamber.

There was a thread late last year, I think, over on the Seecamp forum posted by someone experiencing the exact same problem as mine. That poster included pictures of the jams in addition to very clear verbal descriptions. I just tried to search for the thread with no success; I'll try harder later and post the link if I can.

Anyway, when I saw that thread, I thought, "This is good, now I'll just follow the course of this thread and when Larry Seecamp discovers the thread and chimes in with the quick fix, I'll know what to do to make mine reliable. Easy!"

Well, no such luck. Larry Seecamp did indeed post in that thread. But, to my utter shock, he didn't say, "Oh, yeah, yeah, that's due to a faulty X, Y or Z", or "Just send it in to the factory and we'll get it reliable in no time" or anything of the sort. As I recall (and when I find the thread, I'll check my facts - at the time, I followed the thread for several days until it seemed to have died, but maybe it got resurrected later on), he simply said that it sounded like a "timing issue", and chatted about several other generalities, and that was pretty much it. I had to read everything twice to make sure I hadn't missed the "miracle fix" that I had been sure would be forthcoming.

Needless to say, I was really demoralized. Prior to getting the Seecamp, I had heard nothing but glowing reviews of it. Excellent reliability was nearly always mentioned in connection with the Seecamp. "And," said the rave reviewers, "if anything isn't right, Seecamp will make it so. Just send it to them."

Well, it is true that I haven't send them the gun, but only because the head of the company apparently wasn't able to offer any relief to the other person who was having the same problem as I am. If Seecamp couldn't tell that poster on the company forum what to do to fix the gun, or at least say that it knew what the problem was and could remedy it if the person sent the gun to them, then it seems that there isn't much use in my sending mine to them until I have reason to believe that they can do something about it.

For anyone who's interested,

YES, I am using new manufacture Gold Dots. The jams have occurred with rounds from different lots. I have checked the ammunition for consistency. It is NOT the ammunition's fault.

NO, I am not limp-wristing (not that that is likely to cause the problem I described). I have very strong hands and grab that little sucker in a death grip. That has to be enough; if it weren't, the gun would be worthless for the many elderly or female shooters who can only grip with less force. I know of a number of elderly shooters who report perfect satisfaction with their Seecamp .32s.

I'll try to dig up that link later on.
    I've seen Larry post his personal cell phone number on a forum to help out a customer. I'd be extremely surprised if he didn't take an immediate, personal interest in your problems. I'd certainly give them a call.......

Piglet, I'd say call them up. They are good people that Desire your gun to be perfect for you. They will fix any problem your gun might have. Send it in, it won't take long to get it back eithor.

Any Reason Not To Get a .32 Seecamp?
    I can think of three reasons not to get a .32 Seecamp.
    1. You can't find one to buy.
    2. You can't afford to buy one. (not directed at anyone)
    3. You rather have a 380 the same size.

Here's two reasons why I would not get one...

A little reason......

And a bigger reason....
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

jwalker497

I shot the .380 and decided (thankfully) to get the .32 It is simply sooooooo much easier to shoot. Period.This is just a point blank range gun. Set your target for 4 feet and shoot. And shoot quick. And not think. Point and shoot. Recover. Point and shoot. Recover. Point and shoot. Pull the trigger until you stop.
    Get it!

Quote Originally Posted by dwyermw View Post
    I shot the .380 and decided (thankfully) to get the .32 It is simply sooooooo much easier to shoot. Period.This is just a point blank range gun. Set your target for 4 feet and shoot. And shoot quick. And not think. Point and shoot. Recover. Point and shoot. Recover. Point and shoot. Pull the trigger until you stop.
    Get it!
    Form your post, I'm assuming you felt that the .380's recoil would make you less accurate than the .32. That's true and even more so as the distance increases but at a distance of 4 feet, don't you think you'd still be able to hit the target consistently even with the increased recoil of the .380?? I am only asking becyuase I am trying to decide the .32 and .380 myself am am trying to find some information to push me in 1 direction or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker497 View Post
    I am trying to decide the .32 and .380 myself am am trying to find some information to push me in 1 direction or the other.
    jw, the deciding factor is cost- if you have $900-1K, get a Rhorbaugh. It fires a larger cartridge and even in the short barrel will "out perform" (relatively) the .380. If your range is in the $300-450 bracket, the .32 Seecamp is it.

piglet, I know your post. Essentially, its akin to asking a mechanic to specify which one of eight cylinders is misfiring in an engine, without seeing the engine. The mechaninc knows its timing, but without having your piece in front of him, he can't properly evaluate the interaction of the parts. Basically you have 1) drag exerted by the magazine spring on the cartridge, 2) drag exerted by the feed ramp on chambering, 3) angle of the magazine lips contributing to 1 or 2, 4) chamber finish and diameter, 5) recoil spring weight 6) drag exerted on springs by spring channel 7) drag exerted by the hammer on the slide 8) drag exerted on the slide by the hammer spring (transferred by the hammer). These are just off the top of my head. The issue is tolerance stacking; if your gun is at extremes on two or more of the factory specs for any of the above, it needs individualized timing attention. If you send the pistol back and don't have resolution, that would be a problem...

While I prefer a .380 in a small pocket auto, you will probably not get a whole lot more power then a .32, so I don't see any reason not to get the Seecamp .32.

Air, Land & Sea:

The gentleman who pointed you in the direction of the Welcome to the L.W. Seecamp Company Home Page forum was right on.

Go THERE and talk to folks who actually own and are familiar with the finest little mousegun in the world.. That the Seecamp is indeed the finest of it's type is not just my opinion, do reasonable research and yo will find it's acknowledged by most firearm experts as such.

You can NEVER please all of the people all of the time, and if you read any forum on any product made you will find a small percentage of folks who, for whatever reason, are by their very nature unhappy campers.

IMO if a person was having a problem with a Seecamp pistol the thing to do is either call Larry Seecamp personally and discuss the problem your pistol is having, or simply send it back with a note of explanation and request it be fixed.

Anyone not smart enough to find out the phone number for Seecamp I'll help you out:

1-203-606-0688, or: 1-206-877-7926

It works this way.
    1. You call either number, M-F 9-5 EST.
    2. Sue or Sandi will answer:
    3 Ask Sue or Sandi if you can speak to Larry.
    4. Tell your tale of woe to Larry in a reasonable manner and I guarantee you the problem will be resolved, no problem.
    5. IF you call Larry with an "attitude" you're on your own.

IF you want your Seecamp pistol fixed, follow the above guidelines 1-5.
    IF you just enjoy complaining, don't make the call, and post negative crap to your hearts content.

My suggestion is anyone reading a negative post on a thread, on any forum, about a Seecamp pistol should take note of how many negative comments are posted and how many positive comments are made to refute the negative ones.

As to the LWS32 vs LWS380 question.

My wife and I have LWS32's. We love them. Our LWS32's function perfectly with Speer Gold Dots and I cc mine daily.

Having expressed my pleasure with my LWS32 I must admit I do have an order in the pipeline for an LWS380. Just because.

Larry Seecamp is a gentleman, who backs his Seecamp pistol 100%. Larry is in a unique position at Seecamp. His name is on the door, and he is the owner, not a hired CEO who has to kiss butt to keep his job.

Treat Larry in the way you would wish to be treated and you will not find a nicer gentleman in this world and he will go the extra mile to make you a happy Seecamp owner.

Act like a butt and you'll be treated like a butt.

As you should be.

Just personal opinion/YMMV

Jesse

Quote Originally Posted by Laserlips View Post
    Act like a butt and you'll be treated like a butt.
    Though not by Mr. Seecamp, in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Though not by Mr. Seecamp, in my experience.

Rob:

Thank you for correcting me..

Actually anyone coming to the Welcome to the L.W. Seecamp Company Home Page extended family forum with a negative attitude toward Seecamp firearms in general, or Larry Seecamp specifically, generally gets an attitude adjustment from the members.

The Welcome to the L.W. Seecamp Company Home Page forum is populated for the most part by folks who love Seecamp firearms, and have a tremendous amount of respect for Larry Seecamp.

We have seen, time and time again, Larry go the extra mile to satisfy an unhappy Seecamp owner. In fact, generally, the same person who's first post is negative and confrontational will wind up after the situation is resolved as a dedicated Seecamp firearms lover, and with a personal appreciation for the owner of the Seecamp company.

Larry will go the extra mile to please a disgruntled Seecamp owner, but I've seen just the slightest glimpse, in some of his responses, that indicates to me that you can push Larry just so far, but absolutely no further.

And that's as it should be.

Nothing made by man will ever be perfect. Every now and then a Seecamp pistol will have a problem.. But, I would be willing to bet that the percentage of Seecamp pistols, with problems, when compared to other brands would be very, very small.

The president of a company, no matter what company, who is willing to offer his personal cell phone number to a complaining customer and tells that customer to call him isn't ducking responsibility...

IMO the Seecamp company as run by Larry Seecamp is the representative of a way of conducting business in America that is dying out. Making top quality products, at a fair price, and backing those products with no excuses is getting harder and harder to find with each passing day.

Best Wishes,

Jesse

OK, you talked me into it. If there's any left at the shop I'll buy one tomorrow.
    Freedom of speech does not excuse one from freedom of thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Air,Land&Sea View Post
    OK, you talked me into it. If there's any left at the shop I'll buy one tomorrow.

Air,Land&Sea:

After you get your Seecamp LWS32 and have a chance to fire it and become comfortable with it please come by the forum and let us know what you think..

Oh yeah, by then you'll be wanting another Seecamp LWS32 for the little lady, or (significant whatever) and you'll want that one personalized..

So far the only downside I've seen to buying one Seecamp pistol is that it is habit forming. Buy one, you'll want more... And more, ect.

Best Wishes,

Jesse

Quote Originally Posted by Laserlips View Post
    So far the only downside I've seen to buying one Seecamp pistol is that it is habit forming. Buy one, you'll want more...
    I knew I wanted two to start with, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Air,Land&Sea View Post

Air,Land&See,

Just more suggestions.. I don't know how you intend to cc your Seecamp (if you are), but there are several favorite methods among our little family.

I personally prefer cc in a rear pocket (wallet-type) holster, but other folks seem to like front holster pocket carry. One gentleman (Jim) even makes an IPS (in plain sight) holster that you have to see to believe. We have several top notch holster makers who are members of the forum, so any questions you might have in that area can be readily answered by a professional..

Often when my wife and I travel away from our little "personal comfort zone" I carry a larger caliber pistol (9MM Walther PPS,HK P7, or even a 38cal. Crimson Trace Lasergripped S&W Airweight Bodyguard) in an iwb Fist Kydex holster, but even then I ALWAYS have my LWS32 in a rear pocket..

I pick up my keys and put 'em in front pocket, I pick up my wallet and put in a back pocket, and I pick up my LWS32 and put it in the other back pocket.. Only then do I feel "dressed"...

I promise you that you will be so surprised at the ease of concealment and comfort for cc with your LWS32 you will find it hard to believe it took you so long to get to the land of Seecamp..

Best Wishes,

Jesse

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker497 View Post
    Form your post, I'm assuming you felt that the .380's recoil would make you less accurate than the .32. That's true and even more so as the distance increases but at a distance of 4 feet, don't you think you'd still be able to hit the target consistently even with the increased recoil of the .380?? I am only asking becyuase I am trying to decide the .32 and .380 myself am am trying to find some information to push me in 1 direction or the other.
    I think the ballistic difference between .32 and .380 from a barrel this short is not enough to warrant the added recoil. I have a .32 and the recoil is negligible, but I've heard the .380 is quite nasty and will bloody up your trigger finger after a couple of mags. Not a big deal in a defensive situation though. I still may get one eventually, but since they cost twice as much and have a one year wait list, I just haven't been motivated to get one.
    All the Seecamps are great little guns though. So very concealable that you never need to be without it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links