Hypothetical Gun

Hypothetical Gun

This is a discussion on Hypothetical Gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, I'm new to defensivecarry.com and really happy to have found it. There is so much great info here! I plan to start carrying full ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: Hypothetical Gun

  1. #1
    Member Array Chum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    16

    Hypothetical Gun

    Hello,

    I'm new to defensivecarry.com and really happy to have found it. There is so much great info here! I plan to start carrying full time, well not in the shower, and I also plan to purchase a new gun. I have a hypothetical question that will help me narrow down my choices. Here goes...

    Hypothetical: You can only own one handgun. You plan to carry it, concealed, full time (again sans shower.) It must have the lightest recoil possible that you are "comfortable" with. Comfortable, in this case, means that this handgun would give you piece of mind as a reliable self-defense weapon. What is your handgun given these parameters?

    If this type of hypothetical question is frowned upon here please just ignore me. I haven't seen anything here to suggest that, but so far I've mostly just been drooling over all the gun & rig pics this site has.


  2. #2
    Administrator
    Array QKShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Off Of The X
    Posts
    35,744
    Perception of recoil is a very subjective thing and varies greatly per individual.

    Also...are you thinking more along the lines of a revolver or a semi-automatic?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

  3. #3
    VIP Member
    Array OPFOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Nomad
    Posts
    4,713
    I would stick with the Sig P228 in 9mm. Common enough that parts and accessories are readily available. Recoil is very mild. Capacity is respectable. Weight is tolerable. Size is reasonable. Reliability and accuracy are exceptional. Safety is impeccable. Craftsmanship is untouchable.

    Of course, I am I and you are you, so this will have to be YOUR choice...but you asked for mine, and there it is.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

  4. #4
    VIP Member Array dukalmighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    15,179
    If you are worried about recoil I would suggest any compact 9mm that is reliable and "fits" you
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

  5. #5
    Ex Member Array Ram Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR
    Posts
    13,687
    Glock model G19. You can just lay it on the floor of the shower when you wash if you want to.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Array Vaquero 45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    882
    +1 for the Glock 19
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

  7. #7
    Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,249
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Glock model G19. You can just lay it on the floor of the shower when you wash if you want to.
    Heck, you could even soap it up a little bit and clean it to.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

  8. #8
    Member Array usmcj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    468
    Once proficient, you can learn to control the recoil of most any firearm. However, in order to become proficient, you have to look around and find a firearm that fits your hands, and "feels right" when you hold it. (like buying shoes) Those two things are very difficult to teach. Once you find the right fit and feel, you need to practice, practice, and practice some more. Only then will you know what level of recoil you're willing to function with.

    Zero recoil and a hand cannon won't help if you can't hit what you're shooting at.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

    Some of my toys....

  9. #9
    VIP Member Array pogo2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Southwest
    Posts
    3,150

    Compact Sig 9mm

    Quote Originally Posted by Chum View Post
    It must have the lightest recoil possible that you are "comfortable" with. Comfortable, in this case, means that this handgun would give you piece of mind as a reliable self-defense weapon.
    When you mention light recoil but still adequate for self defense, I tend to think of 9mm in a gun that weighs between 25 and 30 ounces. The 9mm caliber will generally give less recoil than some of the other common self defense calibers, such as .40 or .45. And a gun weight of 25 ounces or more also contributes to lighter recoil, compared to a gun in the 18 to 25 ounce weight range.

    You also mentioned reliability in your post, and that tends to push the choice towards one of the premium quality guns with a known reputation for high reliability, such as Sig, H&K, Glock, Beretta, etc. It would also argue for a gun model that has been on the market for several years and has established itself, as opposed to a new model of gun.

    Given these considerations, I would tend to go with a 9mm Sig in a compact size, such as the models P239, P228 or P229. The P239 is the smallest and most concealable, with 9 rounds capacity. The P228 or P229 are somewhat larger but give 14 rounds capacity.



    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

  10. #10
    VIP Member Array semperfi.45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Over here now!
    Posts
    3,617
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcj View Post
    Once proficient, you can learn to control the recoil of most any firearm. However, in order to become proficient, you have to look around and find a firearm that fits your hands, and "feels right" when you hold it. (like buying shoes) Those two things are very difficult to teach. Once you find the right fit and feel, you need to practice, practice, and practice some more. Only then will you know what level of recoil you're willing to function with.

    Zero recoil and a hand cannon won't help if you can't hit what you're shooting at.
    Good post. If you're even concerned about recoil go with a 9mm to start. Recoil is all in the mind, it can be controlled. If not then the gun controls you.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

  11. #11
    AEA
    AEA is offline
    Member Array AEA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    When you mention light recoil but still adequate for self defense, I tend to think of 9mm in a gun that weighs between 25 and 30 ounces. The 9mm caliber will generally give less recoil than some of the other common self defense calibers, such as .40 or .45. And a gun weight of 25 ounces or more also contributes to lighter recoil, compared to a gun in the 18 to 25 ounce weight range.

    You also mentioned reliability in your post, and that tends to push the choice towards one of the premium quality guns with a known reputation for high reliability, such as Sig, H&K, Glock, Beretta, etc. It would also argue for a gun model that has been on the market for several years and has established itself, as opposed to a new model of gun.

    Given these considerations, I would tend to go with a 9mm Sig in a compact size, such as the models P239, P228 or P229. The P239 is the smallest and most concealable, with 9 rounds capacity. The P228 or P229 are somewhat larger but give 14 rounds capacity.



    I agree for a new CHL'er a Sig in 9mm would be my suggestion. Not only because of all mentioned above, but because it super easy to disassemble and clean and has few parts to break or loose.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Array fatboy97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Land of 10k Lakes
    Posts
    1,082
    Glock 19 again, but now that I picked up a Glock 26 a few weeks ago I might at least give that a little consideration.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

    Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

  13. #13
    VIP Member
    Array nn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    7,121
    Get a SP-101 .327 mag and use .32 S&W or S&W long; then if you want to step up you have two degrees of recoil left. .32 H&R mag not much more recoil and the .327 which is substantial recoil.

  14. #14
    Moderator
    Array RETSUPT99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    45,313
    It IS all perception...even a slingshot has recoil. I would encourage a 'light trigger' and not worry about the recoil... i.e., my Kimber (4.5# trigger)...OMO...others will vary!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

    ***********************************
    Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

  15. #15
    Senior Member Array agentmel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    509
    I've heard it said here that the Glock Compact (19/23 etc) is the most popular carry pistol around FWIW.

    Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Hypothetical Question
    By ErikGr7 in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: February 24th, 2009, 02:56 AM
  2. Hopefully just a hypothetical question…
    By Scrvoy in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: February 15th, 2008, 12:18 AM
  3. Hypothetical Question
    By bigA2 in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: September 8th, 2007, 12:28 AM
  4. Hypothetical, really
    By Euclidean in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: January 24th, 2006, 03:30 PM