Crimson Trace on a Snubbie?

This is a discussion on Crimson Trace on a Snubbie? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anybody use them on a J-frame snubbie? Are you happy with them?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Anybody use them on a J-frame snubbie? Are you happy with them?

Yep, on the wife's 642 and happy....
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Another 'yep'...on the wife's SW 637...

I wouldn't want one, but she likes it!

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    One of my friends has CT grips on his 642, and he is very happy with it.

Yes, love em.

Train with regular methods. But, in a pinch and in the flow of the moment, it's my understanding that it's hard to align things when the adrenelin is flowing - just as fine motor skills go to pot.

One can shoot from an unaligned angle and even from the hip and hit the target.

One thing most people don't consider is the training one can do without ammo, for hrs. on end if wanted. With a revolver, I can load up with snap caps and draw and fire dozens of times with no interuption. Considering the hard trigger on the j-frame, that wonderful. I get immediate feed back as to trigger pull and going off target just by looking at the laser. It's almost as good as live fire and a heck of a lot cheaper.

Lots more reasons like bad guy deterents, night encounters and other reasons as well.

MARV

My wife and I use crimson trace grips on our S + W 642 and it works great. And as other posters said, there's other advantages too, one of the most important IMHO being the deterrence factor. I have a lasermax sight on the Sig and I use it when I dry fire practice, it's helps to improve your trigger pull , etc.... I don't think you'll be sorry if you get them.

Thumbs up

Yep. For pocket carry, you cannot beat the CT 405 grips. Besides the laser and the fact they are small enough for comfortable pocket carry, the 405's are very good at cushioning the recoil.
    John -
    "The story you are about to hear is true; the names have been changed to protect the innocent."

I have CTs on my Taurus 85 & they're great.

I have them on my 442 and they are great. As someone else posted, the dry-fire training value alone makes them worthwhile.

Good luck.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

I bought mine on the S&W 642. (neat S&W logo on the stocks) The rubber helps with recoil control, the grip is larger than stock grips and the laser is a good aid in training, dry fire and would help in the awkward shooting positions mentioned earlier.

Fergit the laser as a deterrent, the .38 inch hole is a better deterrent

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    yup...I have them on mine and my wife's j-frame snubbies....I can't think of a disadvantage to them...and they make shooting in difficult situations easy...ie on your back...side..like getting knocked to the ground...behind cover or concealment....etc...IMO well worth the money...I recommend buying the grips online...you can find some great deals...
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Like one long time shooting instructor who now teaches a concealed carry class said, "I can't really imagine why any snub nose shooter would consider NOT having a laser. They make a snubbie a viable self defense tool."

EDIT: No highjack intended. I was reading through this thread and the question below occurred to me, and I posted before realizing that it was actually a digression. But if anybody feels like answering it in passing, I'd appreciate it. My apologies to the OP.

I've never had lasers on any gun and know diddly-squat about them, so please set me straight if this is wrong. But in the CT grips for J-frames, isn't the laser "on" all the time? Or do you turn it on when you want to use it?

The reason I ask: In low light or darkness, if you were in a situation where you had the weapon in your hand but hadn't identified an aggressor yet (clearing a house, for example) wouldn't there be a gleaming red dot on the grips, serving as a homing beacon for an adversary? I do realize that the beam isn't visible unless it's shining through a cloudy medium like smoke or dust, but that brilliant dot still concerns me.

I know the above is maybe not the most commonly envisioned defensive scenario. Usually we envision having a previously identified threat force you into drawing and firing quickly at close range, in which case stealth wouldn't seem to figure into the equation too much (though it still seems to me that that red light would make a fine target for return fire even if you were already firing at an opponent, never mind having said opponent concealed somewhere and able to take his time aiming at you).

Are my concerns warranted, you think, or am I over-thinking it?

Muzzle flash would make just as fine a target for return fire. I think you are over thinking it.

I believe they also have a switch to turn on or off as well as the pressure grip.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Laser On/Off

The Lasers have an on/off switch. I hardly ever use the laser at the range but it's on the rest of the time. With switch on the laser will activate when you grip the gun as there is a small pressure button that gets depressed.
    The grips will knock off about 30% of the recoil.
    I know that there are some folks on the forum that don't care for lasers, and I understand that there is no subsitute for being an accurate shooter, but on the 642 I think they are worth it.
    As far as you being worried about giving your position away... the snubbies are only used at a short range so the BG is positive where you are anyway.
    Making a decision to purchase laser grips is like deciding on any accessory .. are they worth it and what is the benefit to you? I have the LG-405 model as I think they are slightly smaller than the 305 and conceal better in the pocket.
    Try: Crimson Trace Lasergrips - LG-305 for S&W J-Frame

Quote Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
    EDIT: No highjack intended. I was reading through this thread and the question below occurred to me, and I posted before realizing that it was actually a digression. But if anybody feels like answering it in passing, I'd appreciate it. My apologies to the OP.

I've never had lasers on any gun and know diddly-squat about them, so please set me straight if this is wrong. But in the CT grips for J-frames, isn't the laser "on" all the time? Or do you turn it on when you want to use it?

The reason I ask: In low light or darkness, if you were in a situation where you had the weapon in your hand but hadn't identified an aggressor yet (clearing a house, for example) wouldn't there be a gleaming red dot on the grips, serving as a homing beacon for an adversary? I do realize that the beam isn't visible unless it's shining through a cloudy medium like smoke or dust, but that brilliant dot still concerns me.

I know the above is maybe not the most commonly envisioned defensive scenario. Usually we envision having a previously identified threat force you into drawing and firing quickly at close range, in which case stealth wouldn't seem to figure into the equation too much (though it still seems to me that that red light would make a fine target for return fire even if you were already firing at an opponent, never mind having said opponent concealed somewhere and able to take his time aiming at you).

Are my concerns warranted, you think, or am I over-thinking it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links