Which is better - Glock 19 or Sig 229 DAK...

This is a discussion on Which is better - Glock 19 or Sig 229 DAK... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I often have a day at the range where my gun seems to have radar or something and I just can't miss. Of course, days ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Moderator

I often have a day at the range where my gun seems to have radar or something and I just can't miss. Of course, days like that really make the gun I'm shooting really look good to me. Then I go another day with another gun and the same thing happens. Then there's the other side of the coin, some days nothing seems to work.

Today I decided to shoot a Glock 19 against a Sig 229 DAK and see what 'shows' up. The Sig is stock, the Glock is not. The Glock has a 3.5# Ghost connector and green Trijicon night sights.

Before you think, "Oh sure, a 3.5# trigger against a 6.5# trigger...", let me address that. Using my trigger pull scale with a round plastic cylinder to locate the pull bar at the center point of the trigger, the G-19 with the 3.5# Ghost connector breaks right at 6# and the Sig at 6.5#.
    __________________________________________________ __
    A sidebar about Ghost connectors:
    The Ghost connector does not have the trigger overtravel adjustment in it, but as soon as Monday arrives, I will order a Ghost Rocket which does have the overtravel adjustment - Ghost Inc. 3.5 lb. ROCKET. I have the Ghost Tactical in my G-17 and the trigger reset and pull length is noticeably shorter.

Ghost is the only aftermarket connector I will put in my SD gun. I have talked to Arthur (owner of Ghost Inc) and discussed research, testing, and performance of his connectors at length. I like what he does. He packed mud into a Glock as a demo and his connector still worked where the stock Glock failed.

Plus, according to Arthur, Blackwater equips their contractors with G-19s with Ghost Rockets in them!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So off to the range I go with 150 rounds of Federal American Eagle ammo - 100 rounds of 115 gn and 50 rounds of 124 gn to shoot 'em side by side.

__________________________________________________ __
    Note:
    I ordered 1000 rounds of Federal American Eagle from the AMMOMAN.COM d/b/a Discount Distributors for $199 - shipped. UPS delivers it right to your door.

WWB cost me $18.99/100 plus a 10 cents per box 'ammo' charge, plus 9.25% tax for a total of $208.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I set up a reverse B-27 (black lines on white background) at about 15 feet, loaded 5 rounds into the 229 Dak and put the first round right through the '8'. I used the numbers so the 'X' wouldn't provide a better target than a number. Well the next four were good but not that good. Same for the next five.

Then the G-19. The first shot went exactly through the '9'. Again, the next four were good but not that good. I repeated this cycle for three more evolutions. The guns shot so close any accuracy differences were really inconclusive.

Then I went to the torso size dingers at 70 yards. Here, though mostly subjectively, the G-19 started to gain an edge. Then I started pressing out from a retracted arm position to an extended position and firing just as I reached extension. I simply got more hits with the G-19.

Then, targets of opportunity - cans, bottles at about 40'. The G-19 had the edge here too.

While there's not a lot of differencel, I did shoot better with the Glock - today. The next time I try it could be just the opposite. But just the other day, I shot this same G-19 and put five shots in one hole smaller than a dime, from 15 feet at the indoor range. That was one of those 'can't miss' days I mentioned earlier.

But the Glock does cleanly win in one area - weight. My fully loaded Sig ways 6 oz, almost a half a pound, more than my fully loaded G-19. That's beginning to be important because of sensitive back problems from time to time. For me, the less weight on one side the better.

Most would opine that the Sig fits like a glove and a Glock like a block. I've never had a problem with the Glock feel, in fact, I like the way it feels in my hand.

So today, and likely until I shoot again, I'll be carrying my G-19. Not because it's better necessiarily, just because it's good for me.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I went away from Glocks for a while and went to a Sig 220. But I just returned to the dark side. I picked up a Glock 21 SF and immediatlely shot it better than the Sig 220, which I have been shooting for years. Plus Glocks typically have a slightly higher capacity than other semi's of similar size.

As for grip comfort, I used to say that Glock grips felt like a 2X4, but recently they seem to point very naturally. Sure the grip texturing is a little too aggressive for my taste, but I could have a reduction done if it starts to bother me too much.

I would have to say the Glock wins out over the Sig. But other's may disagree.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

kpw
    I couldn't say which is better. For me the G19 is about perfect for a carry gun. I really like the DAK triggers on the Sigs. It gives me a lot more interest in Sigs than I've had before. Now if I can have my old 228 back with the DAK, I'd be happy. I'd still carry the 19 though.

Administrator
    This is a tough issue for me... between the 229 and the G19, I'd probably take the G19 everytime when talking strictly about utility. But put a 228 in the mix, and the 229 and 19 are a distant memory.

A lot of people do think the grip feels like a 2x4, and to me this is a training issue... you can get over it if you want too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I had the same issue when I considered the SIG 229 .40S&W and the Glock 23c... I purchased the Glock 23c and have added two more new Glocks since then. I love my SIG P226 (.40S&W) for range practice, but my primary carry is my 19 and 23c, and I will be working in my new 26 once I get a new holster, even though I can carry it in my 19 and 23c holsters.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Between a Sig 229 or a Glock 19, their is no wrong choice, just the other choice.

I pretty much consider Glock and SIG to be in the same "playing field." They're both very reliable, accurate, etc. These are the only two semi-autos that I consistently recommend to others.

I carry a Glock because the gun and all the related equipment (mags, parts, etc.) are cheaper and because it's lighter, therefore more comfortable for me to carry. If I couldn't carry the Glock, I'd have a SIG.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO
    A lot of people do think the grip feels like a 2x4, and to me this is a training issue... you can get over it if you want too.
    Exactly! I think "feel" is overrated...just practice with it and you'll be fine. When I got my first Glock, I was carrying a 1911, as a result, the Glock felt really weird. However, after a couple of months I switched to the glock and never carried the 1911 again.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Are you sure you are using the 3.5lb connector? The trigger should break between 3.5 and 4 lbs.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    I opt for the G19.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

I am biased towards the G19. I have no real experience with the Sigs (which I know to be very good guns) but the Glocks are just down right reliable. I completely trust it to go bang every time and I know it will put the bullet where I point it.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistolman1974 View Post
    Are you sure you are using the 3.5lb connector? The trigger should break between 3.5 and 4 lbs.
    Absolutely sure; "-" is stamped on the connector.

FWIW. Glock measures trigger pull from the tip of the trigger. That gives those trigger pull specs we so commonly toss about. That's a fine way to compare Glocks as far as I'm concerned but there are some problems with that. First you have to have a trigger pull that has an adaptor to contact the tip of the trigger. Second, it's probably not a good way to compare a Glock to a Sig to a Beretta, etc., although, I'm not really sure what a good way would be since a finger contacts the trigger at various points along the trigger face.

I chose to make all measurements using a cylinder as an adaptor because it fits all triggers, was easy to make, and centers the trigger scale's 'hook' in the center of the trigger. I had hoped it would better simulate what the finger would feel, but I doubt it really does. But, then how realistic is measuring just at the tip of the trigger?

Anyway, I measure them all the same way and Sig's DAK is suppose to be 6.5# and that's what I consistently get with my method. I can only hope the method transfers equivalently to other makes.

I consider my G19 to be the ugly mutt in my safe full of show dogs that happens to be smarter than all of them put together. It would be the perfect dog if it just wasn't so damned ugly.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Cloud View Post
    I consider my G19 to be the ugly mutt in my safe full of show dogs that happens to be smarter than all of them put together. It would be the perfect dog if it just wasn't so damned ugly.
    LOL - That's a rumor propagated by Glock detractors - or so I've been told .

Besides, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Then again we would certainly want to question some people's eye sight.

It reminds me of those old square Volvos from the 70s that were so hideous but never seemed to die. It's so infuriating. (and my contact prescription has been up to date for at least 12 years) Trust me sir...it's ugly. A 72 stingray?? Or a 72 Volvo?? I mean come on!!!
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Senior Moderator
    Love is blind - my Glocks are a thing of beauty. 'Course beauty can be more than skin deep!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links