The tale of how a Glock followed me home+range review

This is a discussion on The tale of how a Glock followed me home+range review within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been a Sig fan for years and have always respected Glocks. I actually sold a Glock 26 to buy a Sig 220. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The tale of how a Glock followed me home+range review

I have been a Sig fan for years and have always respected Glocks. I actually sold a Glock 26 to buy a Sig 220. I used the Sig through my police academy and have been carrying if on duty sinced graduating.

I purchased a Glock 26 for off duty and back-up and I shot better with it the day I bought it than I did with my full size Sig 220 after I had been shooting it through the academy. So it go me thinking and I truely felt the Sig trigger was the reason I wasn't shooting was well as I did with the Glock. Well then I picked up a Glock 21 SF at a local gun store and I fell in love. I was talking with an officer from my class that I ran into at the jail and mentioned I wanted to sell my Sig 220. Another officer handed me his card and told me to email him with prices for everything I had for it. I priced everything pretty cheap but I felt it was fair enough. His response was "I'll take everything". Pretty much the easiest gun sale I have every experienced.

So I woke up after getting off the night shift and was able to track down the last Glock 21 SF they had and they put it aside for me.

Yesterday I went shooting with a buddy and took the 21 SF. We were short on time and were supposed to be at a birthday party, but we knew the ladies were gonna be late so we made a rational decision to stay and shoot.

Finally here is the range review. I was a little nervous that it would still be too big for my hands, but it fits like a glove. And they guy at the gun counter said it would have more felt recoil than my Sig 220 because it weights less. I figured it might feel softer because the wider grip will disperse the recoil across my palm more, plus the bore axis is lower. Well I was right. The recoil feels noticably softer. I was able to get back on target quicker. I'll be able to maintain my form better during extended range sessions due to reduced weight and reduced felt recoil. This gun has the typical Glock trigger, which I am learning to love. As expected reliability was 100%. I also love the Ambi Mag release. I can use my middle finger to release the mag and I don't have to shift my grip as much as I do with the Sig.

Also I am shooting this gun better the first time I've shot it than I was shooting my Sig after years of range time. Some other added advantages from a LEO standpoint is the gun will weight a little less and I'll got from carrying 4 spare mags on my belt to 2 spares. So I'll have less weight on my duty belt which means I can run faster and longer. Plus at the end of the day I'll feel less fatigued which will slowly add up. There may be a minute benifit in this area, but I'll take any benifit I can get. My sleep schedule is so jacked up that any help I can get to make me feel more energetic is worth its weight in gold to me. Needless to say I'm really impressed with this gun.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

kpw
    Sounds like a well thought out decision. I haven't shot a 21SF yet. If it shoots like the 21 with a bit better feel, I'd like it.

Congrat on the new G...sounds like you're going to have to change your signature...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

kpw I haven't shot the regular 21, but I've handled them and the difference is significant.

retsupt99 thanks for reminding me.

I forgot to mention how much smoother tha ambi mag catch feels when inserting a mag. It takes no effort for the mag to slide over the catch and lock in. Once you field strip a 21SF and see the difference in design it makes sense. I wish Glock would use this design for all their models.

I do like the Glock triggers... that's why I just purchased my latest addition - a NIB 26 followed me home from the last gun show a couple weeks ago. It goes so nicely with my 19 and 23c.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

I love the C model Glocks, but my Dept won't let the troops carry them. I would love to be able to carry a 21SF C, if there was ever such a thing. A compensated 34 would also be pretty smooth.

Awsome! Congrats on the new Glock! I too am looking to join the Glock ranks! Oh and since no one else has said it yet, lets see some pictures!!

Wht
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    Improved confidence in your weapon and your ability with it is a B-I-G plus as well. Congratulations!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Congrats! Time to change your avatar.

Oh and don't forget...
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

If you have seen a Glock 21 SF before it looks the same as that ;) Plus I'm pretty much computer illiterate and still haven't figured out how to post pics. I only use the computer to look at guns and buy stuff for my guns.

congrats on the 21sl, i am looking at buying the same model, have the 23 with hogue rubber on the grips, that makes a very comfy gun grip. i was a skeptic at first, but after the first range shoot and the targets with 5 shot groups less than an 1" (silver dollar) (kept the target too) , i was sold. as fare as the trigger goes, you can put the 3.5 trigger linkage in for 25$ or so, i have done this yet, i want to talk to some one with it in first.

cheers
    jim
    "As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence."
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by 45disco View Post
    congrats on the 21sl, i am looking at buying the same model, have the 23 with hogue rubber on the grips, that makes a very comfy gun grip. i was a skeptic at first, but after the first range shoot and the targets with 5 shot groups less than an 1" (silver dollar) (kept the target too) , i was sold. as fare as the trigger goes, you can put the 3.5 trigger linkage in for 25$ or so, i have done this yet, i want to talk to some one with it in first.

cheers
    jim
    Should be less than 15 bucks for the connector and a punch. I'ts extremely easy. Just get directions online on how to detail strip your Glock (there are also videos on Youtube if you prefer that). The connectors comes out when you detail strip it all the way. Replace it with the new connector, clean and put back together. Boom, 3.5# connector.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Congratulations on your new Glock! IMO--you don't need a 3.5lb connector, just become familiar with the Glock trigger reset and make it habit. There are other things you can do to the stock Glock pistol to make a better trigger pull and other user friendly mods keeping all original parts.

Darn Glocks! Just escaped a gun show yesterday without buying a Gen 2 19 that was looking lonely and unloved. Now I kinda wish I'd bought it. Oh well there will be another I'm sure.
    Last edited by NE45; March 31st, 2008 at 12:39 PM. Reason: I still can't spell
    One of the fundamental truths of the universe is that there isn't anything that cannot be improved with the addition of pirates, ninjas, strippers, midgets or monkeys.

"A car door is not cover. In fact a car is not cover. Cement is." - military contractor in Iraq 2004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links