Inherently Accurate

This is a discussion on Inherently Accurate within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Could someone list a few of the more "inherently accurate" concealed carry handguns? Yes, I'm sure you could conceal a T/C Contender but that isn't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inherently Accurate

Inherently Accurate

Could someone list a few of the more "inherently accurate" concealed carry handguns?

Yes, I'm sure you could conceal a T/C Contender but that isn't what I mean

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    S&W J frame snubbies in .38 special

Most people are amazed when they see what a practiced shooter
    can do with them firing from a rest.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Kahr pm9,more accurate than I am.sj

With its fixed barrel, the H&K P7 series, is a very "inherently" accurate series of handguns!
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

Kimber...out of the box accurate...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

IMO, just about any good-quality handgun is going to have more inherent accuracy than most shooters can realistically "exploit."

My concern would be to find the weapon with the most inherent reliability.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Complicated question

I believe that handgun accuracy depends upon the shooter's skill, the ammunition, and the individual gun. The only good test of the gun itself is to take the shooter out of the equation and use a machine like a Ransom Rest to fire the gun while clamped in place.

But for a gun I shoot in my own hands, I get my best accuracy with heavier guns, longer barrels, big adjustable sights and light, crisp triggers. If I had to pick one of my centerfire (not .22) handguns to shoot slow fire in a match for money, I'd probably pick the Colt Python or the S&W model 27, which are both .357 magnum with longer barrels, and shoot them single action. Here is the model 27, which is a 50 year old gun with an 8-3/8 inch barrel and very light trigger. It probably doesn't qualify as "concealed carryable" though:

For a concealed carry gun, I'd probably bet on a Sig to be the most accurate for many people.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    IMO, just about any good-quality handgun is going to have more inherent accuracy than most shooters can realistically "exploit."
    +1

Guns are inherently accurate, amunition is accurate and as long as the sights are in-line the shooter is the inherently inaccurate variable.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

VIP Member

+ 1

I also find that, for me, the angle between the bore and the grips make some guns address the target more inherently.

So, if you are talking about inherent accuracy in a adrenalin situation vs. a slow-fire range situation, then for me that is just about as important or next after "most inherent reliability."

I would add that recovery of your sight alignment for successive shots is another major consideration.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Absolutely true. I was amazed at how accurate my 3.1" xd9 is. Reliablity should be your #1 concern. Even my tiny keltec will hit a man at ranges further than I'd expect to need.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member

+4. All of my handguns shoot better than I do.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chum View Post
    Could someone list a few of the more "inherently accurate" concealed carry handguns?

Yes, I'm sure you could conceal a T/C Contender but that isn't what I mean
    I would imagine that most any gun will have enough accuracy for CCW shooting distances.

If you are trying to hit objects (read BG's) at long distances, well I for one would be testing out my shoes, not my gun.

You will get some good advice on your question here.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Walther PPS.

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    +1

Guns are inherently accurate, amunition is accurate and as long as the sights are in-line the shooter is the inherently inaccurate variable.
    I do agree that the shooter is generally the main factor in accuracy. I don't particularly agree that ammunition is inherently accurate. I'm sure that you, I and many others have seen dramatic changes in group size when working up loads with various bullets and powder charges. It's interesting how a difference of .1 of a grain can have a dramatic change on group size.

I feel like my 1911's are inherently accurate but, when working up loads, I was able to really tighten up group size. The best group with my Springfield 5" 1911 was with 3.8gr. of Clay's behind a 200 SWC Lee bullet. It grouped .569" at 48' off a bench. Powder charges on each side of 3.8 grains really opened up the group.

I've had a problem coming up with an accurate, consistant lead bullet load for my M&P full size 9mm with a 124 gr. Lee bullet. The load I settled on shoots pretty well one day and crappy the next. I imagine this is a shooter problem but I do have several thousand rounds through the M&P. You'd think I'd get "dialed in" on this pistol. I actually shot my XD40 sub compact better than the M&P shooting plates but sure prefer the ergonomics of the M&P.

I think I did find an accurate load in the M&P, finally, using a Lee 105 grain SWC. This group was fired at 7 yards, offhand. I always have one flyer when shooting this gun that ruins group size:

Cloudpeak

Administrator
    SIG P220 has had an "ages long" reputation for being incredibly accurate right out of the box.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links