Walther...

Walther...

This is a discussion on Walther... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm in the market for a plinker gun. Either a Walther P22 or P99... Pro's and cons of both? Cost of both? Help me out ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walther...

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Walther...

I'm in the market for a plinker gun. Either a Walther P22 or P99... Pro's and cons of both? Cost of both? Help me out here.

Administrator
    I wouldnt... If you want a good plinker, nothing beats the Ruger 22/45 or MK2/3 in value, performance and function.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have a ruger mark 2 for 15 yrs.. The gf and i shoot 400 round today. All in the bull,Also 150 for the 27..

Distinguished Member
    While the Walther is a neat gun P-22, I have a few issues with mine. The roll-pin located by the safety tends to move while shooting, then you can not easily move the safety to the fire position. It likes the CCI mini mag ammo (expensive). I do like the hammer, and the ability for single or double action, and it does fit my hand real nice. I am left handed so it is great for ambidextrous reasons.

I have a Ruger MK II and it will shoot basically everything you feed it providing that you clean it once in a while. The MK II is a bull barrow 6", so it's a better shooter, just not as much fun as the P-22 for me.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    When my wife and I took our CCW class, we shot the instructors P22. We liked it for the most part. Our only complaint was that it seemed to eject the spent shells straight up instead of to the side. I seem to remember at least one hot shell landing on my arm. I'm used to having that happen from the guy shooting next to me or if a shell from my gun bounces off of something and comes back. I don't know if that is a common problem or not, but I didn't offer to buy that gun from the instructor.

I fired a Walther P22 once- the feel was great but I kept getting double feeds- I would stay clear

I have both a P22 & P99 (.40SW) full size and I think both are great shooters and very accurate and they just feel good to handle. I've had both for over a year and have had no issues with either one. I believe I've put over a 1000 rounds through my P99 and several thousand rounds through my P22.

I also have a few other .22 target pistols (Ruger MKII, High Standard) which are great target guns but IMO the P22 is more fun to shoot, especially doing tactical drills. I have my own range so I can do several drills that you can't normally do in a public range. The P99 is also great at these drills (but the ammo is somewhat more expensive to "plink" with). Most of my "plicking" is with .22 or with one of my 9mm's because of the ammo cost.

I think I gave approx $250 for my P22 and $600 for my P99.
    KJ

Member: NRA, GOA

"The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle" - Navy Seals

Well, a 9mm and a .22 are apples and oranges. I just don't see how you could be torn between them. The difference is huge, even though the P22 and the P99 are similar designs.

If you just want to shoot handfuls of ammo for fun... a .22 is your answer, the ammo is far less expensive (e.g. 500 rounds for ~$17 to $25). You can develope marksmanship skills, gain familiarity with auto-loaders and have a lot of fun.

A 9mm is a serious self-defense caliber that many people consider an ideal compromise between power and cost of ownership. The ammo is much more expensive than .22 (e.g. 50 rounds for $15) but this is less expensive than .40, .45 cal.

Disclaimer: I know there are many places where you can find ammo cheaper than the prices that I quoted... but you can also pay more for it. I was just giving an example.

Anyway, if you want a fun, learning tool, get a .22 If you want to use this gun for self-defense, go with the P99.

VIP Member
    We have a P22. Its a fine choice for inexpensive practice with a small gun that may be similiar in size to a ccw choice. There are more accurate 22's out there, but what are you looking for? Inexpensive practice, or bullseye shooting?

Between the P22 and the P99, I would opt for the P22 for inexpensive practice. Ammo prices are getting ridculous!

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I have a P99c and very much recommend that pistol. I had a P22 and do not recommend it. Mine had the same annoying pin problem SleepingZ has, among other issues. Buy a Buckmark or Ruger instead, they are much better guns.

I have owned 3 of the Walther P22s and the first two were a pos. The third one, a later production model, performed well. I would buy the P22 only if it was new, stay away from any used ones. Any new or used Ruger Mark I,II, or III or a Browning Buckmark should give you years of good service. I cannot comment on the P99 as I have no personal experience with that particular model.

Forget the Buckmark... a Ruger is usually your best bet.. Though I like my P22. In the long run a MkII will outdo a P22. Check out RimfireCentral.com - Hobby and Info Source For All Rimfire Caliber Ammo and Firearms for all the rimfire pistol info you might need.
    Glock 19/FEG/FM HiPowers/Keltec P32 for me. When I can't use my 870,N98 or Marlin .30-30 of course...

I would also add one more thing, it seems that any Smith and Wesson made Walther gun is a hit or miss proposition at best. Two P22s - junk. A P22 and a PPK/s-1 - good performing pistols. So you can see by my own personal experience it is a 50/50 deal. Threads on this internet forum and others like it also seem to show this to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by strider72 View Post
    Forget the Buckmark...
    I own & enjoy several Ruger rimfire autoloading pistols, but to "forget the Buckmark" is like driving a Toyota and forgetting the Lexus.

As for the P22 question, if you want to plink soda cans it will do just fine. But if you want to plink bottle caps then pick the Ruger Mk or Buckmark option. I had a P22 & it simply didn't shoot as accurately as I expect from a .22 pistol. Nothing at all wrong with it, but (to me) most of the entertainment value of .22 pistol shooting is in the precision.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    I would also add one more thing, it seems that any Smith and Wesson made Walther gun is a hit or miss proposition at best. Two P22s - junk. A P22 and a PPK/s-1 - good performing pistols. So you can see by my own personal experience it is a 50/50 deal. Threads on this internet forum and others like it also seem to show this to be true.
    FWIW: The P22 is NOT made by either Walther or S&W. The P 22 is made by a different company, a division of Walthers owners. The P99 is made by Walther, and the PPK, PPK/S are made currently by S&W in Maine.

About 2000, some P 99 40S&W slides and barrels were made for a short time. Other than that, all Walther P99's are German made.

This has been a confusion for some time.

Common Sense, the rarest of all senses

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links