Kahr PM9 -- What do you think???

This is a discussion on Kahr PM9 -- What do you think??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey I'm just looking for advice before I make my next purchase. What do you think of Kahr PM9? Pros and Cons.... Thanks!!!...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kahr PM9 -- What do you think???

Kahr PM9 -- What do you think???

Hey I'm just looking for advice before I make my next purchase. What do you think of Kahr PM9? Pros and Cons.... Thanks!!!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by SnubMan View Post
    Hey I'm just looking for advice before I make my next purchase. What do you think of Kahr PM9? Pros and Cons.... Thanks!!!
    Stick with the snub, snubman. Just got one last week and have problems. I've done all the break-in tricks, ammo swaps, but I just tossed the pos in the safe and carry my Glock 26. Go Glock and wear a baggier shirt.

Reputation of PM9

I don't have a Kahr PM9 but have read many owners' posts about them. My impression is that most of them work well out of the box, but some percent of them have problems and require a trip back to the factory to be fixed.

You might consider the Kahr MK9, which is all steel and the same dimensions as the PM9 (but heavier). The steel Kahrs have an excellent reputation for working right the first time. I have a MK9 and it has worked perfectly. But it is too heavy for a pocket gun and I use a belt holster. It is very small and conceals easily, however.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I love my Kahr PM9. I've had it for about 6 months now. Fired about 600 rounds thru it. I have zero problems. I read all the reviews and came to understand that most of the problems were engineered out about a year ago. My PM9 is excellent. No FTF's, no jams, and it takes all kinds of ammo. I can load it by racking the slide or hitting the slide release. Very small, and easy to conceal!
    Every day's a holiday and every meal's a feast!

RetiredMajor
    NRA Certified Instructor

rmw
    Love mine , It jammed once during break in and I was always loading it +1 to see if it would be reliable . I was also pleasantly suprised by the accuracy . Great little gun

I love mine too, zero problems.
    EXCEPT I don't carry it in a 6+1/7+1 config.

I heard of some problems with that and tested it for myself.
    I had two mags (I think both 7 rounders) out of my 6 available mags,
    - that gave me a single one time misfeed.

I don't worry about it, I just carry it with 6 (one in the pipe) and a spare 7.

I actually have the CW9 which has been flawless but my father has the PM9 and has had no problems. I personally like the CW a little better because it is a little larger and easier for me to be accurate with, however, the PM9 is about the smallest 9mm made.

I think you will find that all brands have their admirers and detractors so you have to take someone's opinion on a forum as just that person's opinion. So here's my experience. I carry a S&W 642 or a Kahr PM9. I think the recoil is about the same on both. I can shoot a little bit tighter group with my PM9.

I have had the PM9 for over a year and put 1000+ rounds through it. Absolutely no problems with mine. My wife has carried a Kahr P9 for a couple of years with zero malfunctions. I have been completely satisfied with mine. (Your experience could be different.)

I think I wish I had one.

Love my PM9. Performed the 200 round recommended break in. No issues. I pocket carry this pistol in a Desantis Nemesis holster.

No issues, had for two years, 900 rounds down range.

Administrator
    I've had mine for 4 or 5 years now, ever since they first came out. I havent had one problem. The biggest flaw is they are not intended for newer shooters, or someone who does not understand the mechanics of a small auto loader.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member
    I've had mine 3 years and carry it regularly.

The barrel was replaced by Kahr due to peening after about 250 rounds. About a 1K through it since its return with no problems.

I dont have one, but i do know that the company that makes kahr is owned by the reverend sun young moon, so i dont know if that makes any diffrence in your decesion but it does to me, I dont want my money going to the unification church.

ree
    I don't want to discourage you from getting one, but I had a lemon of a PM9. It endured several trips back the factory only to come back and develop new/different issues during the ~2000 rounds I and Kahr support put through it (I bought it about a year ago).

Despite all the problems, Kahr ended up footing the shipping bill for all but the first trip and has decided to replace it with a new gun. They're trading me up to an MK9 at my request and I'm currently waiting for it to be built, fluff-n-buffed, and tested before they ship it to me. Hopefully, in a few weeks I'll receive the new gun, it'll work, and I'll be a happy Kahr owner.

My point? If you're assertive enough, Kahr support seems decent and they do stand behind their product. So don't worry too much about getting a bad PM9.

BTW, I originally bought the PM9 for it's size and weight. The light weight makes it really easy to carry but a bit of a handful for a less experienced shooter. The size was a bit small for my hands. Couple that with the polymer grips and I had to get an AGrip to keep a good grip on it for longer range sessions and reduce abrasion of my hands.

As I mentioned above, I'm going to an MK9. The added weight doesn't bother me now that I've been carrying for a while (even for pocket carry). And the weight makes for a bit more controllability when shooting as does the every so slightly wider grip of the MK.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links