OH NO! Look at this! Am I supposed to be able to resist this?

This is a discussion on OH NO! Look at this! Am I supposed to be able to resist this? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well with a Ambi im might be sort of kinda maybe intersted .. What all calibers does it come in .. Ive sworn off sigs ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OH NO! Look at this! Am I supposed to be able to resist this?

Well with a Ambi im might be sort of kinda maybe intersted .. What all calibers does it come in .. Ive sworn off sigs becuse i dotn tlike there control set up on the STD guns so im not up on them

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I'm havin' trouble getting info on it. Like caliber, length, weight, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    So why are you guys are concerned about the SA/safety?
    I've watched enough people in competition under stress fail to sweep off the safety. For me, it's something I don't want to have fail to work as advertised, and for most of the failures I've seen, it isn't lack of training or time or anything other than dumb luck.

I want the gun to go boom now.

The Sig is a classically DA/SA platform. People ***** about DA 1911s - this is a similar level of sacriledge.

For those of us who like the decocker and the existing design, it's like adding a lead weight for no apparent reason.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Senior Moderator
    That's interesting. I've used and seen 1911s used in training and in the higher stress situations and have seen more DA/SAs inadvertently left cocked and holstered by far than missed safety swipes on SA guns.

Seems like 1911s are becoming more accepted, starting with the FBI, LAPD SWAT, Spec Ops, Marines, etc. and now even some rank and file LEOs like the Tacoma Washington PD.

As long as the weapon is in a safe holster, the hammer back isn't the end of the world. It's less safe, yes, but not any different than the folks who forget to put the safety back on the 1911 in the same situation.

The 1911 in some cases is acceptable for FBI, but only for the HRT folks last I checked. Most departments still won't let people anywhere near single action guns.

i see the safety as a non issue as long as you train for it

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp
    (SNIP)

The 1911 in some cases is acceptable for FBI, but only for the HRT folks last I checked. Most departments still won't let people anywhere near single action guns.
    FBI agents on SWAT teams at the field offices also have 1911's...I recall a number of them walking around with their C&L 1911's at the FBI Newark (NJ) field office right after 9/11.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member
    The ambi safety used to interest me, but I don't want anything on the wrong side of ol' slabie, anything to get bumped. Of course, for a southpaw it is different. I've never had a problem with wiping off, even under stress. It's just off as it clears, with the thumb under it. It's still safe that way as long as the finger isn't in the hole. Bud White is correct. You train for the grip. You train for the draw. You train for the trigger finger when the gun is basically lined up. You train for the hammer snap. When you put them all together...do I hear the hokey pokey in the back there?
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Call me strange, but I'd rather train for as few discrete motions and things that might go wrong as possible.

It's one of the reasons I don't carry a 1911 any more. It was one more thing that could go wrong when things got bad, and the ammo capacity never did much for me.

Senior Moderator
    Something I gleaned from another forum.

"...but I've even heard of one cop who shot himself in the leg TWICE. He forgot his DA/SA was cocked and when he re-holstered his weapon fired. He then, being kind of flustered, re-holstered again and it fired again!"

Cocked and locked is the only way I carry, and 1911 style is my personal favorite.

As for LE carry, there are many that allow SA. The reasons some don't are the following.

1. Political Correctness
    2. Lack of willingness to train

This is a handgun that has been around for close to 100 years and by and large is hailed as the ultimate handgun. Sure there are ones with more power or ones easier to use, but none are as easy to use with this kind of power are are controllable.

The problem with LE carrying SA is mainly political. A cocked hammer scares stupid people. It has a lot to due with my "Pussification of America" therory. That said the guys that really do the tough work, the "operators" so to say are asking for and carrying the 1911. FBI HRT, LAPD SWAT, and USMC SOC to name a few. That should say a lot to you all.
    --------------------------
    Rantings of a Right Wing Nutjob
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    VCDL Member
    USCCA Member

H&K USPc 9mm
    Para P-14 .45
    Para Warthog .45
    Bulgarian Makarov 9x18Mak
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Walther P-22 3.4"
    Ruger 10/22 .22
    Smith and Wesson 642 .38 +P

Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp
    Call me strange, but I'd rather train for as few discrete motions and things that might go wrong as possible.

It's one of the reasons I don't carry a 1911 any more. It was one more thing that could go wrong when things got bad, and the ammo capacity never did much for me.
    With respect to the capacity issue, I carry either a Para P-14 or a Para Warthog. The capacity of these are 14+1 and 10+1 respectively. Capacity is not an issue.
    --------------------------
    Rantings of a Right Wing Nutjob
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    VCDL Member
    USCCA Member

H&K USPc 9mm
    Para P-14 .45
    Para Warthog .45
    Bulgarian Makarov 9x18Mak
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Walther P-22 3.4"
    Ruger 10/22 .22
    Smith and Wesson 642 .38 +P

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I find it amusing that so many agencies and departments won't let agents/officers carry a SA, but a Glock is ok - yeah that little safety lever on the front face of the TRIGGER makes it safe, but not a safety on the grip AND a separate thumb safety.

I used to have DA/SA, now I've gone to SA or a light DA.

Back to the original subject of the thread, I believe the new Sig is designed for competition, hence the lack of DA. BTW the stainless & wood grips version is even more attractive.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan
    ...Back to the original subject of the thread, I believe the new Sig is designed for competition, hence the lack of DA. BTW the stainless & wood grips version is even more attractive.
    I believe the stainless is made for competition, the alloy Tactical is made for well.......tactical stuff.

The stainless is significantly heavier than a 1911, so there would be a carry concern there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links