Help my Mom!

Help my Mom!

This is a discussion on Help my Mom! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, so my mom always carried a Colt .45 NM, and she's always been really picky about guns. She "adopted" the Colt from my father ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help my Mom!

Help my Mom!

Okay, so my mom always carried a Colt .45 NM, and she's always been really picky about guns. She "adopted" the Colt from my father more than 30 years ago and that was what she used. She was scary accurate with it, and that's one of the reasons she loved it.

But alas, due to arthritis and other related problems she's really no longer effective at using the .45. It's become too hard to operate. The recoil wasn't a huge problem, but working the slide and such is.

So I'm looking for recommendations. Something that's reasonably sized, whose recoil isn't too terrible and would be easy to operate for her. Just to give you an idea of the fine line I'm walking here -- her full size 1911 recoil is easily handled, and my CCO is too much recoil.

I know I'm probably looking at a wheelgun of some sort. But the things I tend to notice are too light in too large a caliber (like the little titanium .357's).

So put yourself in my shoes and give me some ideas to look at.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    J frame Revolver in a 38.

or Glock 19 and or 26.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Just a suggestion, you might consider the Springfield EMP. The controls would work the same as her current 1911. It has lighter weight and given the reduced recoil of the 9mm round the recoil spring should be easier for her to operate.

Just my 2cents.

Good luck
    "If you can't place your shots on a non-moving piece of paper, how much more difficult will it be when that piece of paper becomes a 3-time felon whose sole purpose is to avoid going back to prison no matter what happens and no matter who gets in the way?"

Taken from a posting by "Deadmeat 2"

If she's used to carrying an all steel 1911, she should be used to a bit more weight than many of us.

I'd recommend a medium frame, all steel revolver. The Ruger SP101 comes to mind, probably with a 3" tube. Heavy, to soak up the recoil, no slide to manipulate, reliable, effective caliber, can be loaded down with .38's if the .357 is too much for her, seems like a much better choice than one of the ultralight pocket snubbies.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by cmidkiff View Post
    If she's used to carrying an all steel 1911, she should be used to a bit more weight than many of us.
    Yeah, weight and size really aren't an issue. What about the new Ruger SP101 in .327? How is the recoil on the .327? It sounds to me like it might sit on the middle ground between a .38 special and a .357 in terms of recoil.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Try a Bersa Thunder 45, it may well do the trick for mom. It is inexpensive, compact, lightweight, accurate, and reliable. If you buy one and mom doesn't like it you will have a great carry piece. Regards, Richard

Single stack 9mm with metal frame?

Your mother is accustomed to a 38 ounce, full size 1911 in .45, but her arthritis is making it harder for her to operate. I would recommend going down in caliber, weight and gun size, but sticking with a semiauto as that is what she now uses.

I would think a 9mm in a single stack design with metal frame might be best. The 9mm will have a lighter recoil spring than a 45 and it should be easier to rack the slide. The single stack grip should not exceed your mother's hand size like a double stack gun might, and the metal frame will moderate recoil compared to a polymer frame.

The two guns of this type that come to mind are the S&W 3913 and the Sig P239. Both are about 27 ounces with aluminum frames and 8 round single stack magazines in 9mm. Both guns have good reputations for quality and reliability. I have shot both and the felt recoil is mild compared to a .45 caliber 1911. But with modern 9mm defensive ammunition they are serious CCW guns.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Wink

I use a Ruger SP101 with the 3 1/16" barrel in .357 magnum as a home defense gun for my wife and I. I load it with the Remington 125 grain Golden Sabre BJHP . This is a mid range .357 load, easier in the recoil department but still very effective for self defense. Close to 1200 fps and 400 ftlbs of energy out of the SP101. The rubber grips and steel frame soak up a lot of recoil to make it feel like shooting a K frame medium sized S&W revolver. If her condition worsens, then maybe a .380 Beretta with a tip up barrel so she won't have to rack a slide to load it and also very mild recoil. You should be able to find a model 86 cheetah,( I believe is the correct one), used on any of the gun auction websites. Good luck and God bless your mother.

Stoeger Cougar or Walther p5. Not sure how hard the springs are on these, but I would atleast look at them.

The .327mag is interesting, but I'm not one to jump quite this early. It may very well be relegated to history by this time next year. Just guessing, but I'd imagine that your mom doesn't reload... she needs something she can get ammo for off the shelf.

If you don't mind taking the chance of buying a caliber that might not be around for long, the .327 has gotten some impressive recommendations. It seems an ideal candidate for recoil sensitive people who don't want to sacrifice energy. I've never shot one, can't say anything for it personally, but I have been following the reviews. If it's still around in a year or two, and Smith starts using the caliber, I will probably pick one up.

Having several relatives with arthritis, I'd not recommend an auto unless Mom really wants one. Even a .380 is pretty tough to cycle for someone with arthritis, and limp wrist also seems to be a problem for many. I don't know her... you have to determine if your Mother could clear an autoloader malfunction under stress, and remember that if she tends to limp wrist, the risk of malfunction will be higher than normal. Dexterity can be poor with arthritis sufferers as well... manipulating a safety could get difficult.

The best answer is still going to be "Let mom decide!"
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

If your mom is not bothered by the weight of a full size 1911, then I'd recommend a Ruger GP-100 .357, maybe with a 3" barrel for ease of concealment. As others have said, she could always shoot .38's or .38 +P if .357 is a bit much. Also, the Remington Golden Saber .357 magnum 125 grain JHP is a nice round with lesser recoil than the typical hot 125 grain loads.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Since your Mom has trouble working the slide now, a revolver is definitely the way for her to go. The suggestions for Ruger SP101 are good. My wife uses a hammerless Taurus M605 and really likes it so that would be another good candidate.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I totally agree with others that say if she is v ery happy/comfortable with the 1911 platform, stay with it. Kimber builds a nice 9mm 1911, as does Springfield with the new EMP (really nice looking gun that can be had for $1k or less). If racking the slide is becomming difficult (I totally understand the problem with the "Itis Brothers"), teach her how to safely use the "overhand" method of racking the slide. I have a very good friend with rheumatoid arthritis that easily and safely rack the slide on all my heavier cal handguns now after a bit of practice. The 9mm, in the heavier framed 1911 would be much more forgiving on her joints than a light weight revolver, and the grip style will most likely be much better on the 1911.

Just my opinions.

surv

VIP Member
    I'd let her try a S&W J-frame .38.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I'd let her try a S&W J-frame .38.
    +1

A better set of grips would probably be more to her liking too. Something like a Hogue that has a padded backstrap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links