.45 Help

This is a discussion on .45 Help within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My EDC is a 4" S&W 1911SC. The Scandium frame is light and strong. The pistol is a joy carry and to shoot and it ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .45 Help

VIP Member
    My EDC is a 4" S&W 1911SC. The Scandium frame is light and strong. The pistol is a joy carry and to shoot and it is darn near as accurate as custom gun!

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

2. Remove Ads

I've got a CW45. I've put about 300 rounds through it, including Blazer Brass, WWB and Federal Hi-Shok JHP, all 230 grain. I've not had the first problem with it.

It is accurate, lightweight (21.7 ounces empty, w/magazine), has a fantastic trigger, no levers or switches to mess with, holds 6+1 with 7 round mags available, and is very slim. My only issue with it was the VERY sharp checkering on the front and back straps, but a Hogue Handall Jr. slip-on grip fixed that, and gives it a nice feel. Recoil is not bad at all, if you are an experienced handgunner.

I paid $420 for it, NIB. I can't think of a better value in a defensive firearm for CCW today, if you like .45 ACP. IMHO, nothing beats it for the combination of light weight, easy carryability, and a potent caliber in this price range.

Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Well after some good advice and some more research I have narrowed my search down to these three guns:

Colt Defender
    Kahr CW45
    Springfield GI Micro 3" 1911

Any further opinions?

Detonics Mk VII.

Quote Originally Posted by JCook5003 View Post
    Well after some good advice and some more research I have narrowed my search down to these three guns:

Colt Defender
    Kahr CW45
    Springfield GI Micro 3" 1911

Any further opinions?

Out of those three, I'd go with the defender.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Out of those three...get the colt! Why, it's a colt!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Kimber Ultra CDPII - it's my first .45 and I carry daily alternating between a MTAC IWB and Smart Carry.

The biggest difference going from the SIG will be the trigger on the 1911. I find the SA triggers much crisper and better for first shots than either DA/SA or DAO. I have an M&P9 and Taurus 92 - IMHO the 1911 is a much better shooting gun because of the trigger... Also regardless of choice I would recommend full sights on your 1911, I also looked at the New Agent but couldn't get over the grooved sight.
    Attached Images
    No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.

Ronald Reagan

Just a quick run down comparison of my top two choices:

Officers size 1911

Dimensions - 6.8 x 4.75 x 1.28
    Weight - 25 oz.
    3.0" Barrel
    7+1 Capacity
    $600-$1500

Kahr CW45

Dimensions - 6.32 x 4.75 x 1.28
    Weight - 21.7 oz.
    3.64 Barrel
    6+1 Capacity
    $399

In my opinion the Kahr wins in a lot of categories mostly price, does anyone have opinions on the CW45?

Can I ask where you are seeing a Kahr CW45 for $399...cause I want one of those!!!!!!

This is treading on religious grounds... but I'd take the officers frame over the polymer of the Kahr any day. Also, in terms of modifications, you're going to have a lot more options with the officers.

Having said that... I like Kahr's a lot. You have two good choices here.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

I am a 1911 guy but I vote for the Kahr, I feel it's better suited to carry duty in a variety of situations and if you're weight conscious, it won't get left at home like a heavier gun. Just MHO.
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

I saw a CW45 at sportsmans warehouse down here for $399 last weekend.

VIP Member
    I have a Kimber Ultra and a CW9. Almost identical to the 2 you are comparing, and I'd pick the Kahr for EDC. I find myself carrying the Kahr more than the Kimber, especially when the weather turns warm. It's even fairly easy to pocket carry. I love the 1911 platform but in the summer time, I find myself more comfortable with the Kahr or my 642.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Glock 21.

I'd stay away from the SA GI series. Bought one (Champion size, light weight) and had lots of FTFs and FTEs. Sent it back. Now I'm just having FTFs (at the top of the feed ramp instead of the bottom).

Their customer service has been wonderful, and I'm sure they'll take care of the new problem. But after all that, I can't say that I will ever trust that gun with my life. Two friends bought GI series guns about the same time. One of them has had a number of issues with his as well (full-size model). The other (identical to mine) has run fine.

Mags and other accessories will be more plentiful if you go with a Commander/Champion size (full-size frame, 4" or so barrel).

One other thing to look at is the sight grooves in the slide. The SA GI series (and I think the Mil-Spec) have the thin, government sized grooves. Most high-quality after-market sights don't fit these, though you can have the slide re-milled.
    "An armed society is a polite society." -- Robert A. Heinlein

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links