Revolver action job

This is a discussion on Revolver action job within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In specifics, what exactly does a "complete action job" entail on a revolver like my 442? Does it lighten the trigger pull also? I'm looking ...

Thread: Revolver action job

Revolver action job

In specifics, what exactly does a "complete action job" entail on a revolver like my 442? Does it lighten the trigger pull also?

I'm looking at Gemini Customs for some work.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

2. Remove Ads

Basically it means polishing all the metal parts that rub together, but it is knowing how to do it safely and correctly that earns a gunsmith his or her keep. I have an SP101 that I had Gemini work over and am quite pleased with the result. The pull is a little lighter, 12 pound mainspring as opposed to the factory, but much smoother. One of the things I like about the package Gemini does is attention to a lot of little things that make the gun a lot easier to use, such as recrowning the barrel, rounding the trigger, chamfering the cylinder charge holes, etc. One neat thing is the polish/bead blast on the end of the cylinder, which makes cleaning forcing cone rings a whole lot easier! I read somewhere that a trigger job is just the parts that make the gun go boom, but an action job is all the parts that improve functioning

A COMPLETE action job means different things to different people and gunsmiths. SO be sure of what you want and what the gunsmith intends to do. Usually an action job entails polishing the bearing parts and surfaces and making sure everything functions smoothly. The trigger pull is usually adjusted to the owner specs. It can also include changing out springs, regulating the sights to point of aim, fitting the grips and adjusting the timing, cylinder gap, forcing cone and chamfering the cylinder holes. There are usually many options to consider, so again be sure what the ACTION work will entail and what things you want done. Features you want on you competition gun, might be different from what you want on your carry gun. I'd also check with past customers of the g/smith you are thinking about using and see if they were pleased with the work. I had both good and bad experiences with gun smiths and a truly good one is hard to find. Be sure to get a solid price quote and estimate on how long it will take to complete. Some g/smiths might be busy and can hang on to your gun for many many months.

While we're at it - tell me about crowning the barrel?
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Crowning the barrel is a process in which the muzzle is precision machined to assure it's as straight & square with the center-line of the bore as absolutely possible, burr & depression-free...allowing the gases following the fired bullet to escape the confines of the end of the barrel equally in a 360 degree plane & at precisely the same moment. Any unequal pressure release (from a muzzle edge being dented or ever-so-slightly out of square) can cause the bullet to stray from its intended target line by being "pushed" by areas of higher or earlier gas pressure, resulting in accuracy issues. Crowning the muzzle minimizes these concerns.

Hope this helps.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Alex Hamilton in San Antonio, TX (and columnist in American Handgunner) is an awesome revolver guy, if you haven't decided yet.

Give him a call.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

So is Hamilton Bowen in Lexington, Tennessee. In fact, he's just released a sight (that you can SEE) designed as a retrofit specifically for alloy S&W j-frames. Pricey though...
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Administrator
    Have your cylinder cartridge chambers chamfered while you're at it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Links