Porting a J Frame - Page 2

Porting a J Frame

This is a discussion on Porting a J Frame within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I voted no. However, I did consider porting my 340PD before I got rid of it. But I just put larger grips on it and ...

View Poll Results: Would you get your J-Frame ported?

Voters
164. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

12 7.32%
  • NO

152 92.68%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Porting a J Frame

I voted no. However, I did consider porting my 340PD before I got rid of it. But I just put larger grips on it and delt with the punishment. I still have my 60 and 640 (not a .357) that are comfy to shoot with +p loads.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    It does look cool though!
    Buy an HK P7M8 and get it hard chromed. It looks cool, and won't cause damage to you.

Let me put it this way: think about fending off a big guy using a 1/2" drive Craftsman wratchet to beat on you, using your raised weak side arm and hunching your head to keep said head safe. You draw, point and fire. Which way is your hand canted, in this reflexive, crouched posture? Thaaas riiiight. Heel of the hand close to the chest, placing the ports right in line with, and close to, your face.

For a cool pocket blaster, go for it. If you plan to carry, I wouldn't. FWIW, I've had MagnaPorting on long guns, and like it.

I had a model 60 357 ported. I only recently let it go.

First off, on a 38, I'm not sure you will see much difference. Maybe with a hot +P...

Next off, any ammo that has minimal muzzle flash still has minimal muzzle flash in a ported gun. Mine was a Magnaport, and I fired it several times in the dark. The loads mattered a bunch. nothing I handloaded was any good. Most ammo flashed brightly.

Look over as many forum as you can, and pick an ammo that is known for minimal flash.

Also, the ports are angled to keep whatever flash there is, away from center, where your attention will be.

Lastly, I'll add that the BIG downfall, in my opinion, is the kind of shooting where you do not extend the arms. Firing "from the hip" pretty much guarantees muzzle blast heading right for your face. It's not gonna feel good once it gets there.

Considering the mild report of a 38-special, I just donít see a reason. But I like the looks of your gun.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I feel it is unnecessary to port a jframe...no rounds coming out of the firearm is too excessive that porting is needed...yes shooting 357 mag rounds isn't fun, but I am not going to shoot over 50 rounds through it at any time anyway, and in a defensive situation, most likely only 5-6.
    also +1 on the night vision.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I wouldn't port a gun period. I see no benefit.

I voted no because, in the past, I have been told that a J-Frame 38 Special +P or 357 Mag isn't that punishing to shoot. My self, I have a long history of avoiding the ornery little beasts. Regards, Richard

Quote Originally Posted by wht06rado View Post
    I voted no. I would never port a defensive weapon, which is pretty much all a j frame could ever be. You may need to use your weapon at night and the muzzle flash from a ported gun will pretty much ruin your night vision for a little while.

As far as pro's and con's from what I can see.
    Pro's:
    - Reduces recoil.
    - Looks cool.

Con's:
    - Could ruin your night vision in a fight and give the BG the upper hand. This is a HUGE downside for me and in my mind would rule out porting it.

Just my .02. Best of luck in what you decide.

Wht :hand10L
    I have heard this argument quite a few times, and it might be a valid one.

But if your shooting at night your gonna loose your night vision, regardless if it's ported or not. It might be a little brighter if ported, but at that point I don't think it would matter. The muzzle flash can't be avoided.

Just my $0.02.
    "Nice grips, weird choice of etching" Rocky

NO, for all the reasons already mentioned.

VIP Member
    Probably make you deaf and blind.

I voted yes if the J frame is a .357, the recoil can be downright brutal on one of those little buggers.

No porting for me. I'll leave all the contents of the barrel to exit the muzzle as it should. No gas, particles, noise, or flash needed anywhere it doesn't have to be.

I would not port a snubby, but I do own one. The only reason I have it is because I got it for a song.

It is a Taurus 85 CHULT (.38 +p Concealed Hammer Total Titanium Ultra-light) that was factory ported. It does not kick quite as bad as my non-ported snubs. I donít notice anymore muzzle flash from it than my non-ported snubs. That may be due to the ammo Iím running through them (Gold Dot +P short barrel ammo)?

I tend to worry about getting a face full of hot burning gas should I ever have to fire it out the car window from the seated position, therefore I seldom carry it. It usually serves duty as my desk gun.
    John -
    "The story you are about to hear is true; the names have been changed to protect the innocent."

Administrator
    This Ported thread from the past traveled through a Time Portal and landed into the Present from 2008. It came through a port.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Have anyone ever shot a ported gun? At night? There will be no change in night vision from a ported gun vs non-ported gun. Also, recoil will only be reduce a little. I would never port a gun because its useless.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links