Porting a J Frame

Porting a J Frame

This is a discussion on Porting a J Frame within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am considering getting my 442 HybraPorted. Flame on about the pros and cons....

View Poll Results: Would you get your J-Frame ported?

Voters
164. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

12 7.32%
  • NO

152 92.68%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Porting a J Frame

Porting a J Frame

I am considering getting my 442 HybraPorted. Flame on about the pros and cons.

Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I voted no. I would never port a defensive weapon, which is pretty much all a j frame could ever be. You may need to use your weapon at night and the muzzle flash from a ported gun will pretty much ruin your night vision for a little while.

As far as pro's and con's from what I can see.
    Pro's:
    - Reduces recoil.
    - Looks cool.

Con's:
    - Could ruin your night vision in a fight and give the BG the upper hand. This is a HUGE downside for me and in my mind would rule out porting it.

Just my .02. Best of luck in what you decide.

Wht :hand10L
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I just don't see a reason to port a defense weapon either. Competition guns may use porting, but an edc....naww.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has done it. Seems like it would kill even more velocity. But I definitely wouldn't on a carry gun.

I too would vote no on the EDC weapon. I could see it causing a real prob with a night shot... but everyone is correct... It does look kewl.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Ditto on the no.
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Voted no

I have a gun like that (model 642) and don't believe the recoil or muzzle jump is enough to justify porting. Other disadvantages have been mentioned above, and include velocity loss, lots of bright flash and noise, and the possibility of hot bits of powder coming down on your hand.

If you are shooting +P .38 ammo and are porting it to reduce recoil, consider that you will probably lose the "+P" velocity increment from the porting. You might as well shoot standard pressure ammo and leave the gun unported - it will have the same net effect and save the porting expense.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    If you are shooting +P .38 ammo and are porting it to reduce recoil, consider that you will probably lose the "+P" velocity increment from the porting. You might as well shoot standard pressure ammo and leave the gun unported - it will have the same net effect and save the porting expense.
    That's a really good point that I didn't think about. It does look cool though!
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

It's useful for .357 Magnum in smaller, lighter weight guns.

Although I dislike shooting .357 Magnum loads in J-frames, even in those J-frames appropriate for that round, I have three Ruger SP101s so treated, and they are gems, and make shooting .357 Magnum loads in a lightweight gun pleasant.

Porting is simply unnecessary for shooting .38 Special loads, IMNSHO.
    Humani nihil alienum

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Other than what's been said before...I voted NO. You could not fire through your pocket (if necessary to do that). If reducing recoil is your main motivation, I would suggest getting Crimson Trace laser grips (LG 405). It has a padded backstrap. You would also get the added benefit of a laser.

Administrator
    The whole night vision thing is the least of my worries about porting a defensive pistol... I'm far more concearned about where all that hot gas is going to go in a CQB situation; in my hand, in my side... that stuff coming out of the porting can and will do some nasty damage.

No thanks, I dont want anything to do with porting, I prefer all the nasty stuff being directed towards the BG. Also, if I really think porting is going to help me, I need to shoot a smaller caliber or get some training, perferably both.
    oneshot likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Ditto the no vote for loss of night vision. Same reason makes compensated Glocks a bad idea, IMHO.

You barely have enough barrel to build velocity as it is.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Administrator

I actually did have one ported

I've mentioned it before in a few past posts.
    It was a S&W Bodyguard.

I had it done as a spur of the moment thing & it was many moons ago.
    I had sent the BodyGuard to Mag-Na-Port International originally for an action & trigger job and then I decided to have the revolver refinished in Metal-Life Chrome and also have Chrome done on the internals to really "slick it up."
    I think it was then that I gave the go-ahead for the porting job.
    I do think it did somewhat reduce shot to shot recovery time when shooting extreme rapid fire with HOT-HOT .38.
    Mag-Na-Port porting does an incredible job of properly the ports and directing gases and they did do a beautiful job EDMing the ports with no decrease in accuracy.
    Super neat job.
    Actually, shooting any really hot defensive loads in a snubbie at night...you're getting a fireball regardless. So I'm not sure you're going to get much if any increased night vision degradation due to porting.
    I can see some potential for vented hot gas and particulate causing some unwanted problems depending on where you're shooting from aka retention.
    When I switched over to carrying only semi-auto - I traded the S&W back and shortly thereafter it did score a killing head shot on a drug dealer for the LEO that bought it. For whatever that info is worth.

BTW: I'm not sure I would ever go for the two or three port holes.
    Mag-Na-Port would be the only folks that I would ever let do a porting job on any of my guns.
    That would be because of the way their ports are designed and located.
    marcclarke likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Try shooting with one from retention...it's an experience you won't forget...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links