HK P30 Sight Adjustment

HK P30 Sight Adjustment

This is a discussion on HK P30 Sight Adjustment within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got my P30 a little over a month ago and when I first shot it, I noticed it was shooting to the right. I ...

Thread: HK P30 Sight Adjustment

HK P30 Sight Adjustment

I got my P30 a little over a month ago and when I first shot it, I noticed it was shooting to the right. I first thought it was me just getting used to the new gun or me pushing my shots (I am left handed) so I shot it more to get used to it. My groups got a lot tighter but they are still slightly to the right around 2-3 inches at 7 yards.

I know that the sights on these guns are drift adjustable. Can some please tell me what tools I need to adjust my sights? Thanks!

Before you do any sight adjustments, try putting the gun in a handgun shooting vise, sight it in on your target, and delicately pull the trigger. If it truly is off, this will prove it. However, from HK, I'd want more proof.

If the vise setup isn't possible, have other skilled shooters see if they have the same problem.

If they don't have the same issue, it might be as simple as jerking when pulling the trigger. Is your trigger finger engaging the trigger too much? Instead of pulling the trigger straight back, your finger might actually be slightly torquing the aim to (a lefty's) the right. A right-handed shooter would see the aim moving to the lower left from your POA.

Unfortunately, I do not have access to a vise setup. I might be wrong here but I don't think I am jerking the trigger based on these:
    - my groups are really tight but slightly to the right (not a bunch of scattered fliers to the right)
    - I shoot my P229 just fine. (on the flipside, I might be unknowingly jerking the P30 but not the P229?)
    - If I am 1-2 inches to the left, my shot is right on the money.

Again, these are just my observations, it is very possible it is just me and not the sights but I have shot enough rounds thru this gun that I should've learned the correct trigger technique (I hope).

I'll try to have someone skilled shoot my gun next trip to the range. Anyway, I'd still like some info on how to drift my rear sights, just for my personal reference and in case I need to in the future.

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    A more responsible person would tell you to have a gunsmith do it for you, but I am an irresponsible do-it-yourself kind of guy, so I'll do my best to help you out. (note: I am not, nor have I ever been a qualified gunsmith, and you should do this at your own risk).

First, you need to have a decent quality bench mounted vice. If you have some protective rubber jaw covers, great! If not, I would suggest getting some from Grizzly tools or somewhere similar but I have seen everything from thin pine strips to cardboard or leather used to protect the gun's finish as it is clamped into the vice. When you tighten the vice, don't crank it down! You are only using it to keep the slide from moving sideways as you drift the sights. If you put too much pressure on an unsupported slide, you will warp it and ruin your pistol.

Next, you need a good set of brass or nylon tipped drift punches. You can find these at most tool stores like Grizzly or Harbor Freight and they aren't too expensive. Don't use anything other than the brass, nylon or nylon tipped punches or you will probably mar your sights! Now, make sure there are no set screws or pins that hold your rear sight in place. I don't know if there are any on the P30, so maybe someone else can fill in that little detail. Anyhow, once you have verified that there is nothing locking the rear sight in place, mark the position of the rear sight so you have a reference to judge how much you have moved it (if you have a set of calipers that is even better). I like using a mechanical pencil to mark the area against the rear sight, because you can get right against it and the mark is easy to remove.

Now tap the rear sight in the direction that you want your shots to go (in your case, to the left). You won't need to move it very much at all to get it where you want it. Make sure to keep the drift punch as low on the sights as possible (on the dove tailed part, of course), and use the flat of the punch, not the edge. That should pretty much sum it up for you. If I have forgotten anything, anyone feel free to correct me. Good luck!
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Jeff,
    Any particular punch diameter I should use? Will a brass punch mar the finish on my sights?

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    I would use the largest punch you can fit in the dovetailed slot. I have never marred a sight with the brass, as it is softer than the steel sights. I have had to remove brass marks with a pencil eraser before, but they came right off with no trouble.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Sponsored Links