Carry gun for wife?

This is a discussion on Carry gun for wife? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can't wait for Beretta to bring out a tip up 380. Maybe it's there and I don't know it. Meanwhile I've helped the petitte rack ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carry gun for wife?

VIP Member
    Can't wait for Beretta to bring out a tip up 380. Maybe it's there and I don't know it. Meanwhile I've helped the petitte rack the PPK etc by having them stretch the gun out and down with the strong hand while the weak hand, also stiff armed, grasps the slide, with a piece of leather, rubber, or router cloth, and by rocking the shoulders, even the P3-AT (a bad one) is doable. The recoil spring isn't the only obstacle, it's when you have to fight the hammer spring also. That makes the DAO auto a bear to rack.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Update: Talked to wifeypoo and she REALLY liked the PT111, moreso even than I thought. Helps that she used to own a PT Cruiser.

She was able to work the slide, trigger pull was OK dry firing, grip-trigger distance seemed fine. Only problem now is recoil, which we can't test without going to a range. Don't know of any near here that rent.

Incidentally, my wife is extremely strong for a woman.

Our plan is to buy the PT111 (9mm). If she doesn't like it in 9mm I can always use it as an alternate CCW and we can try the PT in .380 or .32 depending on how bad she thought the 9mm was. If she wants to trade up later it will be worth it.

I'm going to use my 10/22 to teach her the fundamentals of shooting... sight picture, etc. Since she's not military she'll eventually have to attend a class to get her CWL. I plan to suggestone I've heard good things about in Denver. They have Ladies Only classes which I think she'll like, but if not she can go co-ed just as easily.

I'd like to take a tactical pistol class together someday, but we'll see.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

For shooting a smaller bore heavier pistol, but for carry a good snubbie is a good choice. My wife carries a Smith and Wesson 642. This is a lightweight 5 shot .38+P. Not a fun shooter, but a viable defense package. Otherwise try a Beretta 92 or Taurus equivelent, CZ75, Hi-Power, or something along those lines.
    --------------------------
    Rantings of a Right Wing Nutjob
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    VCDL Member
    USCCA Member

H&K USPc 9mm
    Para P-14 .45
    Para Warthog .45
    Bulgarian Makarov 9x18Mak
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Walther P-22 3.4"
    Ruger 10/22 .22
    Smith and Wesson 642 .38 +P

Administrator

Gunthorp ~~~~~~~~ TIP UP BARREL .380

"Can't wait for Beretta to bring out a tip up 380."

Yep that would be a great firearm for my wife.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Gotta quibble with this one.

For the last 15 years I've lived by "train as you fight". If she really gets into it and wants to buy several guns for herself that's one thing, but if she's only going to go to the range for CCW practice I have to insist the practice be with what she'll carry. I'd rather she carry a .32 she enjoys shooting and therefore has shot alot than a .38 +p she hates and only shoots a minimum, wasting her time "practicing" with something else.

YMMV

For shooting a smaller bore heavier pistol, but for carry a good snubbie is a good choice.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

For me, there are two separate 'range times'. There is training - and there is just shooting (fun). Nothing like blowing an afternoon busting pop cans with a little .22. IMHO - the best way to introduce someone to firearms is to let them have fun (safely of course). Training will only come after a serious firm commitment has been made.

I had a PT111 it was a nice shooting gun, I gave it to my niece and she loves it. She was in the Army and trained with the Beretta 92, she prefers the PT111 because it is small, shoots easier, and is easier to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    a heavier gun to learn shooting is my suggestion. Something all steel will have less recoil, percieved or real. Impossible to find 1 that suits her without her knowledge.
    I gave my wife the option of carrying my Kel-Tec P-32 (and of course I would have to upgrade to the P3-AT) or my Ruger M85 chromed 5 shot revolver.

She liked the revolver better. Heavy, so it eats a lot of the recoil. Plus I'm more comfortable having her carrying a weapon that you don't have to worry about failure to feed, limp-wristing, etc)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links