Carry gun for wife?

This is a discussion on Carry gun for wife? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, the wife ants to try shooting... eventually I'm going to try to get her to CCW. I think her main resistance is being a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carry gun for wife?

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar

Carry gun for wife?

Ok, the wife ants to try shooting... eventually I'm going to try to get her to CCW. I think her main resistance is being a liberal Kalifornia girl, and the idea just never entered her head. Now that I carry she's getting more used to the idea.

She's held a PT111 and liked the feel, but we never had a chance to shoot it.

We're on a bit of a budget, so I'm trying to decide between buying a PT111 or a P-11. Advice? Other suggestions in the same price/ size category?
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

2. Remove Ads

Take her around to shops. Note which ones actually treat her like a human being. File for future reference.

Let her pick what she wants, even if it's not something you'd like. Excerise veto power carefully (like if she wants a Jennings).

And when you go in, don't look at the price tags. You're looking for something that she may really want to have, and even if you're on a budget, you can figure that out after the fact or weigh options.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Well, this is officially going to be "my gun" that she might "shoot sometimes" when we go to the range.

I'm really buying it for her, so that I can try to nudge her toward enjoying shooting... something she'll really enjoy and be comfortable for her... but at this point I can't let on that it's really for her. If I suggest we go to a store and buy a gun for her I won't get anywhere, right now she doesn't want to own a gun herself.

See where I'm coming from?
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Lead Moderator
    a heavier gun to learn shooting is my suggestion. Something all steel will have less recoil, percieved or real. Impossible to find 1 that suits her without her knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier
    Well, this is officially going to be "my gun" that she might "shoot sometimes" when we go to the range.

I'm really buying it for her, so that I can try to nudge her toward enjoying shooting... something she'll really enjoy and be comfortable for her... but at this point I can't let on that it's really for her. If I suggest we go to a store and buy a gun for her I won't get anywhere, right now she doesn't want to own a gun herself.

See where I'm coming from?
    I kinda do. I knows wimmenfolk in my own clan that want to have a gun that's theirs but they don't know Remington from Raven. They just want someone to go get them a gun and take care of it for them. Their knowledge of shooting itself may be acceptable, but they don't know beans about the different brands, calibers, etc. and don't care to.

If you're really trying to win someone over, I think the main criteria should be "fun to shoot". What is or is not "fun to shoot" is subjective too. But you have to get someone to enjoy it first before they want to be serious about it.

VIP Member
    Do you have a shooting range that rents guns? If so you can take her shooting and possibly rent some different guns for her to try.

Do you have some friends with guns they are willing to let you borrow for her to try out?

If not, it sounds like you are going to be a gun collector.

Good luck,
    Scott

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    No Sir,sorry, I don't know where you're coming from. Is it gonna be HER gun or YOUR gun? If it's gonna be hers,buy it with her in mind.-------

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    my pet peeve.
    give her $$ and let her buy her own. not the one you want.
    Would you buy her shoes? I don't think so.
    A gun had to fit.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

My wife has a Model 66-2 2 1/2 inch barrel that I put Hogue wooden finger grips on and she loves it. She only likes to shoot 38's in it and 38+ p's at the most. In fact she likes it so much I got her another M66 that's a -5, with a 4 inch barrel that has rubber Hogues on it. She likes that one even better.

She hated firing my Sigma 9ve and wouldn't even pick it up again after trying it once. She said that the trigger was just to hard and the shells flying back made her nervous.

I think most women perfer wheel guns over semi-auto's any way.

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    Tank,

If your wife wants to go to the range and learn how to shoot. I suggest you don't go pick up a new firearm, unless you don't already have a .22LR pistol.

Teaching on a .22 is nice, and it makes it fun!!! When I took my ex-gf to the range, she loved shooting my Ruger 22, but didn't like my USPc in .40 anywhere near as much..

My suggestion, in all seriousness. Teach her how to shoot on a .22, then work your way up to a 9mm or 38, and then higher if she chooses to. When she approaches you, either about purchasing a gun for herself, or about learning to carry concealed, then you go shopping for "her" pistol.

When you shop for her pistol, you take her to the places that rent the guns, or you take her to a shoot where a bunch of people are gettting together to shoot, or you just keep taking her to the range. Every time I go to the range, I never hesitate to ask what someone is shooting, and when asked the same question, I reply, and offer to let them put a mag worth of rounds through it.

Just my opinion.

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

My wife just went through the process of buying her carry gun. She isn't a gun aficionado - so it took her some time before she found what she wanted. She did not like automatics. No reason - other than she just felt more comfortable with the simplicity of a revolver. She did have some problems cycling the slide of some of the blow-back models.

Now - if she isn't a gun person NOW but is open to start. I would definately start her out plinking with a .22 rifle and some backyard trap shooting. That's how I got mine started and it wasn't long before she ASKED ME about going hunting and it wasn't too long after that that she ASKED ME AGAIN about carrying concealed.

Carry gun for wife?
    Nice trade if you can pull it off :chairshot :chairshot :chairshot

Seriously...my wife just passed her CCW class shooting my G19 but she doesn't really like it. I have been taking her to some gun shops looking (don't have any ranges here where she could try some out) and so far she is liking the Taurus titanium 5 shot revolvers (either the shrouded or hammerless), she really likes the C.T. laser grips too.

VIP Member
    If you have a 4" or 5" 1911, get a 22 kit for it. Otherwise beg, borrow, or....., a Ruger, Browning, or other 22 with adjustable sights that will hit. Once she has the fun of knocking bowling pins and pop cans down, she'll figgure the rest out quickly (with your help, of course.) I think the Taurus titanium shrouded hammer with light 38's would be a good bet. Start with single action dry fire, and on the range, keep the 22 handy. Who knows, you might be able to impress your own wrist with Federal's 180 gr Cast Core 357 for woods carry.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Assistant Administrator
    Plenty of ideas here tank but main point I'd make is - if at all possible - get her trying all she can lay hands on, really!

She needs a platform to suit her hand size, comfort - and there cal' comes in too. Sooo many options.

My wife is happiest with M85 snub, altho a bit of a bear to shoot - she certainly tho is not at ease with semi's - and yet funnily enough step-daughter is, favoring for now the Bersa Thunder.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator

Post Hand Strength

Enough hand/grip strength is sometimes a critical factor with semi~autos concerning operating the slide...for instance the Walther PPK/S is a really nice size for a small hand but the slide is very tough for some females to be comfortable with.
    It has a very heavy little recoil spring.
    Some of the Beretta pistols with the pop~up barrels are really nice because you can load & unload the pistol without ever racking the slide and they are very reliable.
    They feel good in the hand also.
    We never talk too much about the Beretta line of semi~autos & they are very accurate, reliable and well constructed pistols.
    Something to think about.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links