Keltec PF9 opinions needed

This is a discussion on Keltec PF9 opinions needed within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just looked at a keltec pf9 and it seems like a nice little carry gun. Does anyone here have one of these? If so ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keltec PF9 opinions needed

Keltec PF9 opinions needed

I just looked at a keltec pf9 and it seems like a nice little carry gun. Does anyone here have one of these? If so I'd like owner feedback on them as far as out of the box reliability and how well they feed JHP's. Thanks for any help.

2. Remove Ads

Have two. Oldest about year & half. Newest since Dec. Both have been reliable and pocket carry one of em everyday. Take some getting use to. Due to light weight, not hard to limp wrist but once u get feel for it, it's fine. I sanded inside grip where web of hand fits and added Hardball Jr. slip-on and it doesn't hurt to shoot 50+ rds at time. Not a 200rd/session range gun. Carry GD124+p for 350fpe/shot. Beats any 380 for me.

I carry one everyday in a very dusty environment in either a Don Hume JIT beltslide or an Uncle Mikes pocket holster.

I'll probably jinx it by saying this, but mine has been 100% reliable with 115 gr. Rem. hollow points.

Similar to Kahrs, the Kel-Tec PF9 prefers to be run wet (with grease ... not oil).
    The Edge ... there's no honest way to describe it. The only ones who know where it is have gone over.

I don't have one. but I want one!! But I have other things on the list for a while. Best of luck with the PF9!

Wht
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Kel-Tec Owners group has a tremendous amount of info on Kel-Tec handguns. (Go to KTOG.Org - Kel-Tec Owners Group and click "bulletin board.") Early production had all sorts of troubles; latest production versions have been refined quite a bit.

Distinguished Member
    I have one. Zero problems. Fairly thin, so it hides well. I have read that 147 gr is a bad thing for this gun. Its not a high-end gun, but it does what it was designed to do, and does it quite well.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

VIP Member
    I have one and it goes BANG every time I pull the trigger. HP no problem. There is a bit of a kick as it is light. But it serves its purpose well. I keep it in a CrossBreed Super-Tuck Deluxe with a shirt tucked in and my friends will ask if I am carrying and I say of course not. Good Luck.

I had a hard chrome one and thought it was great. It carried IWB like a dream with the UBG Canute I had for it. It is extremely light and very thin. Recoil was a bit harsh since it so small and light but nothing unbearable.

I fed it 147gr Federal HST exclusively for carry and carry practice and never had an issue. Used WWB and Blazer brass for practice and again no issues.

Only reason I got rid of it was that it was just to big for pocket carry, and I wanted night sights. Got a PM9 since I can pocket carry it and it has night sights. BUT it was about $200 more, so if you are looking for IWB only and do not need night sights the PF-9 is a good choice.

I think they are good pistols especially since they have been on the market for a year now. Keltec seems to have worked out any bugs they may have had. A P3AT I had was a good reliable performer.

If I shake mine side to side, the slide rattles like an old worn out piece of junk but it has never failed to eject a fired round and the only thing it has failed to feed are Remington Golden Sabers. Surprisingly accurate for the price point of the gun. I don't have a bunch of rounds through mine (<300) but for it's reliability to this point, I'd buy one again. I paid just under $300.00 for mine.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I got one about a month ago and I really like it a lot. Did a "fluff & buff" which is detailed on ktog.org.

So far I've only fired two mags worth out of it; one WWB FMJ and one of Hydrashocks. I know that's hardly a full test for reliability but it did well so far. Planning on giving it a good run through next time at the range.

Sometimes I carry in places I'd rather not get "made". This little gun is perfect for that. I also carry an XD subcompact but it can feel a little "fat" sometimes. For me, the PF-9 fits the bill perfectly for extremely discreet carry.

Took mine to the range this past weekend determined to put 100 rounds through it. No hickups until around 80 rounds - had 1 FTF. But it was starting to get dirty. I finished up the 100 with no other issues. Then I shot my Glock for pure enjoyment. The PF9 will wear you out after 2-3 mag fulls. But a great gun. I am going to do the fluff and buff also.

I've got over 1000rds thru oldest one and 600 thru newer one. Have found if I limit myself to 6 mags/range trip(alternate guns), I have no problems. I shoot the carry loads with the gun just like it is, switch to practice ammo, then move on to primary carry gun or other "range" guns. Has worked fine since "breakin".

I like mine too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links