Les Baer S R P 4.25" 45???? - Page 2

Les Baer S R P 4.25" 45????

This is a discussion on Les Baer S R P 4.25" 45???? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hmmmmmmmm..(thinking here) now, we've got a great threaqd going here, with all the plusses and minusses of the customs vs the out-of box guns. I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hmmmmmmmm..(thinking here) now, we've got a great threaqd going here, with all the plusses and minusses of the customs vs the out-of box guns. I also saw a 98% finish Kimber Pro CDP II for 825.00 (minus my 15% discount and no sales tax)...the CDP looks great as well. I keep droolin on the glass at KTP, and it's getting VERY difficult as I'm drawn to the case. Ohhh, BTW, that Glock 29 in 10MM I bought NEW.well I took it apart and as I put it back together, SNAP went the recoil rod wafer and the split recoil rod. (thinking back) now I remember why I never bought new guns for almost 20 yrs. I'd rather let somebody else work out the bugs in it before I got their trade-in gun. I also wrote up my range report in my prior thread on that G29 with the 357 Sig BBl.
    Let's here some more opinions on pros and cons of the Customs vs the out-of- boxers (no pun intended)

Assistant Administrator
    Let's here some more opinions on pros and cons of the Customs vs the out-of- boxers
    Bob - I am not a great fan of customs - partly I guess cos of cost - plus I am not sure always that a ''tricked out'' gun will by default work 100%. I hear stories all the time of the odd Kimber or Springer that is a lemon (seemingly). Plus - my P12-45 is a dog!

I tend to go std issue NIB - or good used std issue - and will then if I feel the need, add a 'this' or a 'that' to suit my lil' heart's desire

I like a good used gun (should have Gary's SIG 220 in a day or two) - but also have bought new if a proven platform - SIG 226 ST was NIB - and tho costly was a satisfactory purchase.

So overall - I do not seek a ''custom'' - because often seems too much money for not enough perceived value!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    You're really lucky. You get to spend some time holding them...and a discount! So hold em all, for as long as you can get away with. Notice the weight, size, sharp edges, controls, try the triggers. There will be one that you just can't put down. The rest comes at the range. Unless things don't work right, the gun will teach you how to shoot it. (I can't help myself...mmm Pro CDP)
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

http://www.stiguns.com/

I got my BLS's. Haven't had a chance for more than 1 box through each, but for the first 50 rounds.......OOoooooooooohhhh!

If you want the .45, go to "Complete Guns", and check out the Trojan and Lawman single stacks. STI customer service is excellent! Mike Chasse of www.thundermountaincustomrifle.com is the Master Dealer I bought from. His prices are likely to be a bit less than MSRP. (They were on my BLS buy)

Thanks for the input Rob, unfortunatly, I've noticed the same STI Ranger in the case for almost three years now. It's at 750.00 used. I've also noticed, that we have 5 Les Baers, 4 Wilson combats, 1 Nighthawk Enforcer, and lots of Caspians, including the Caspian/Colt conversions. Surprisingly enough, the Kimber line doesn't move as fast as I thought it did, mainly due to Ma residents not being able to purchase them, due to resitrictions in their State. What I'm really wonderingis, why these guns don't seem to go, as they're really great quality items. Is it maybe because people don't have the money? Or maybe the traffic isn't there? Nope, I don't think so, as we're the largest store on the East Coast. I really think, maybe in peoples' minds, that they don't want to take a chance and get a big buck piece of fruit? The Para line doesn't sell either. The Springfield, Sig, S&W, and of course Colt lines DO sell. (both new or used)
    Don't get me wrong here, as I do own many 1911 types, and quite a few other customs in different calibers. Just attempting to place food for thought in any of our Forumite's next prospective purchase.
    What would YOUR next 1911 purchase be? is it based on cost? Specs? efficiency? size? weights? options?
    Let's stir up some good ideas, based on what everybody percieves as their ultimate CCW. In a 45 ACP of course

my next purhase is one of them little 3.5 inch springfield ultra carrys.

It was a trade in and has bad extractor i was allowed to take apart and test shoot it all ready.

If i had the money and it was free i would but a Ed brown my self i like that Kobra Carry for sure

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OD
    Their referring to "game" guns I assume?
    No, not really, they just think that to get it reliable for pin shooting or carry and to get a good trigger on it, a grip safety you like, a main spring housing you like, sights, etc., that the cost of the gun + modifications = about $1000.

Now my personal opinion is that Kimber or S&W make good handguns for a reasonable price. The first generation CDP I shot in a CCW class was a rental and ran like a charm. But I don't know if I'd buy a sub 4" 1911.

OD*
    I see, thank you sir.

I'll have to disagree with your friends, I have a number of $600 Colt's that needed nothing done to them to be excellent carry guns.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Note of Interest. Police in Tacoma authorized to carry Kimber LE or Kimber Compact(4" barrel). I find both my Kimber Classic LE and my Compact are very reliable and accurate enough for self defence.

If I could afford one I would go with a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special .

OD*
    Whitley County IN. Sheriff deputies carry Colt Combat's.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Custom / Stock ?

I would not pay for a LB. Not because I want to save money, but because the one guy I know that has 3 of them only has one that works. His 10mm never has been 100%, and his PREMIER just took a dump the other night at IDPA practice. The trigger went back and would not reset. :(

I ran a Colt combat commander box stock for years and it was 100%. I had a custom Caspian 1911 GM built to my specs for $1800.00 a few years ago for a carry gun and used it in IPSC for probably 20K rounds and it was/is 100%

I carry a Glock and shoot a Glock now that cost less than $600.00 It's 100% out of the box. I don't carry it because it's any more reliable than my $1800.00 gun but I'd put it above 90% of the semi-customs (Les baer) or factory (Kimber) rigs out there.

If I wanted a big name gun, it would be an Ed Brown though. LB's service sucks, and when your guns are not holding up to the hype, you should at least be good at kissing the customer's a$$ IMO.

Just traded an enchanced 39super Colt with a S'70 9mm slide toward a custom job:Condition One

Dropped off a Wilson Protector for consignment tonight as well. Only thing it has that a custom Colt doesn't is night sights and dehorn. Shoot both about the same, but the Colt feels better in hand for some reason.

A lotta people look at the LB guns, as we have used and new. They kinda shy away due to the price factor, and go for the Kimbers. Lot of interest in the Colts again though. ( the store has about 150 1911 styles in the used gun case ) not to mention the other 6 cases where everything else is LOL

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I consider a "HIGHER" end gun(1911) one that costs over say,13-14 hundred $'s. I own a couple of 5 to 8 hundred $ ones. A couple of 9-13 hundred $ ones. And one that has been built up to be worth $2400-$2600. The latter is strictly for competition. My daily CCW is a Kimber. A $1100. weapon. I feel that for anything except the extreme types of speciality competition,a weapon that is purdy,reliable,the right size for you,and accurate, can be had for the 13-14 hundred dollar figure or quite a bit cheeper. Now if you are a collector or investor then that's a different matter altogether. I have friends that will outshoot me everytime with a plain-jane Colt or a SA. Can you be absolutely deadly fast and accurate with a older used Glock,Colt,or SA ??? You betcha. I see it almost everytime I go somewhere to shoot or train. I learned a long time ago to keep my mouth shut at the range when someone uncases one of them old Colt's with all that blueing wore off.----------

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH
    the store has about 150 1911 styles in the used gun case
    :worthless

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links