Les Baer S R P 4.25" 45????

This is a discussion on Les Baer S R P 4.25" 45???? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok Guys I've been thiinking this over, as I drool when I look into the case at over 200 different 45s. Ok.. I'm considering a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Les Baer S R P 4.25" 45????

Les Baer S R P 4.25" 45????

Ok Guys
    I've been thiinking this over, as I drool when I look into the case at over 200 different 45s.
    Ok.. I'm considering a Les Baer SRP (Swift Response Pistol ) 4.25" Commander size, Polymer finish with Night sights in 97% finish with case and goodies for 1595.00. (used of course LOL )
    I'm sure you 1911 Gurus know much more about this weapon than I do. I'm really thinking of getting it, plus my 15% employeee discount on top of it. (gonna get rid of my Defender if necessary)
    Can you tell me the retail, and the pro/cons of it? is a good custom gun better than a out-of-box shooter? I'm thinking that t might also stir up some good info for others to ponder such purchases as well.

2. Remove Ads

i never look at them there too expensive and makes me want I have heard though that Les Baer and Ed Brown Pistols have had problems in sub 5 inch Config's

Again this is just what i read I havent spend that much on one yet

Ahhhhhhhh Great to hear that from you Bud. I'm sure Bumper may have similar info on that gun.
    It looks real pretty, but there's a Nighthawk Enforcer Tactical 4.25" there as well.....Used for 1700.00.. O D Green frame with all the goodies as well..I'm still droolin at em all too

Assistant Administrator
    Bob - thing I'd be thinking (as, admittedly a non 1911 guru) - is would that expenditure be worthwhile? Are you getting actual value for meney shall we say!

I have spent heavily on some guns so who am I to talk - haha - but do wonder if they are actually worth that.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Hi Chris
    That's exactly why I placed the "custom" or "out of the box" shooter question out here. Is it really worth the extra $$ to spend on the weapon? Or is it easier to save your hard earned $$ to plce down on another toy?.......that's exactly what I'm attempting to place in the minds of not only myself, but our other Forumites here.
    I too have placed plenty of money on things that wer'nt worth the money. You're not alone when it come to that my friend
    While at the shop, I see a lot of lookers, but VERY few handlers of the higher priced 1911s such as I've mentioned above
    Bob

Assistant Administrator
    Bottom line Bob - often anyways is - do you really WANT it?

I have bought a few items where WANT greatly exceeded need (so what's new LOL!) - but suffice it to say the ''item'' was desirable, for whatever reason!

Ultimately I think (within our cash constraints) - WANT will usually win!

I do tho also at times wonder - are we spending too much just ''for a name''!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Kimber's super match is carried by pro's who know they can handle any hostage situation. It's shipped with a target (5 holes within an inch@25yds.) Retail $1986 Dlr$1655 Master Dlr$1461. You can put adjustable night sites on it and a 22 conversion kit.
    Attached Images
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

OD*
    Kimber's super match is carried by pro's
    gunthorp,

Could you elaborate sir?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    In my humble opinion, if I could afford one, I would carry it.

Kimber states that "The Super Match II is equally suited for accuracy competition or action shooting, but most are bought for carry due to their reputation for extreme accuracy."

It's a personal issue, but when my eyesight was passable, I carried the Gold Cup that I did most of my shooting with. I switched to the Combat Comander in the 80's because I liked the additional safety of the firing pin block, even though it loads the trigger a tad.

The Schwartz firing pin block system on the Kimber is passively deactivated by the grip safety, and the custom shop sends out a quality gun for a lot less than some of the "name" frames.

I use the term pro to refer to someone who would be able to appreciate the gun's capabilities. I'm sure that would include all present and accounted for.

Gunthorp is sanctioned by the MN Bureau of Criminal Apprehension as an organization to train instructors for the MN permit to carry courses.

-Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Administrator

S R P

Retail Price for the SRP is: $2339.00

Link To Les Baer Web Price Sheet

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Baer S.R.P. but built on Baer's 1911 NM frame. It's every bit as dependable a performer as the original high capacity S.R.P. but it offers the traditional 1911 frame still favored by many. Features include:

Baer steel NM frame Baer steel NM slide with front and rear serrations Slide fitted to frame Baer NM barrel with stainless match bushing Baer deluxe fixed combat sight Baer dovetail ramp type front sight Lowered and flared ejection port Baer checkered slide stop Baer extended ejector Baer tactical style ambi safety Baer match trigger Baer checkered flat mainspring housing Checkered front strap @ 30 lpi Fitted and tuned extractor Beveled mag well Complete tactical action job Baer beavertail safety with pad Baer deluxe Commander hammer and sear Tritium night sights installed front and rear Deburred for tactical carry Special Poly Ceramic Alloy Coating on complete pistol for maximum corrosion resistance Baer Premium Checkered Cocobolo grips Tuned for total reliability test fired with Federal 230 grain Hydra-Shok ammo and Remington Sabre 230 grain H.P. ammo and guaranteed to shoot 21/2" groups at 50 yards (3) 8-round premium magazines
    Special wooden presentation box

Suprised to hear about a Les Baer with reliability issues since they are all test fired before they get sent out. That's strange.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    OR------- you could keep sniffin' around KTP til you found a 1911 frame or complete weapon that was a "sweet deal" and take it to one of the great 1911 smiths and get built what (exactly what) you want in a carry weapon. Buy for $400 or so then $1200 into it. You will have what you want. OR-------just buy a Kimber. Gunthorp,I'd almost be willing to betcha that in a Ransom Rest,my Ultra CDP II would shoot 2" at 25. It's alot more accurate than I am. Sometimes I feel sorry for it. With not gettin' a more accurate owner and all.-----------

OD*
    gunthorp,

Thank you, I'm familiar with the Colt-Schwartz safety and the Colt Series 80 FPS.

I thought you were meaning you knew of specific organizations that were equipped with the Super Match II.

~ Tiger McKee

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    My pin shooting buddies tell me that if you buy a 1911, expect to spend about a grand to get it reliable, accurate, etc. "You can either buy a nice 1911 for a grand, or buy a cheaper one and spend the additional money." The Les Baur's are phenomenally tight, accurate and reliable with quality ammo. Wonderful triggers. Very expensive, but much cheaper than the true custom houses. I'm looking at Kimbers, but only saving a couple hundred dollars for an equivalent.

OD*
    expect to spend about a grand to get it reliable, accurate, etc.
    Their referring to "game" guns I assume?

~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    Sorry, OD, I can't speak of any organizations that will issue the Super Match. If you know of one, where does the line start? The Ultra CDP is 25 oz, 3", Meprolights, melted, and reliable for a lot less (M Dlr = $864.) At 10 yds it clover leafs if I haven't had any coffee for a few hours prior. Shame, it's too pretty to go out with the likes of me. The Tacoma PD issues the Pro Carry. THAT'S my next, if I could only wear out this nickleodeon CC.

Nevertheless, RSSZ, you're definitely a Kimber Master Owner!

Hey, I got it. OD, for a small weekly payroll deduction, Gunthorp Staff will all be required to carry the Super Match! There's the organization. Now to talk to the bookkeeper.
    Last edited by gunthorp; October 4th, 2005 at 07:51 PM.

-Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links