evolution BACK to revolvers? - Page 2

evolution BACK to revolvers?

This is a discussion on evolution BACK to revolvers? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've never stopped carrying revolvers. I do own several semi-autos but they don't get carried as often as my revolvers. In addition to reasons of ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I've never stopped carrying revolvers. I do own several semi-autos but they don't get carried as often as my revolvers. In addition to reasons of reliability and simplicity, I just think revolvers have way more personality. The "cool factor", admittedly, if you will.

HKR
    I carry a revolver about 10% of the time. I've been looking at some K-frame Smiths lately, I just haven't decided what I want yet. If I couldn't carry a Glock then I would carry a revolver all of the time.

If there is a resurgence of revolvers for concealed carry, it may be partly for the same reason I went back to the revolver. Small semi-autos have reliability problems and require a lot of care and feeding. I have done a lot of reading on this subject in the last couple of months. With the semi-auto you must be 1) lucky to get one of those semi-autos that just works out of the box,and 2) have the time and patience to put hundreds of rounds through the pistol for "break-in" and then test the pistol extensively with each type of ammo you use. I just wanted a gun, not a way of life. Save your time, save your money, get a wheel gun. And if you want to teach your wife how to use the revolver - its just "put the bullets in the little holes, point, pull".

I have a smith 686, a rossi 642, a taurus .38, and a taurus .22 and will buy more but I always carry semi-autos for self defense. It's hard to argue with 15 rounds of .40 smith and wesson. Also, when I carry a BUG it's always a semi-auto.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    mall semi-autos have reliability problems and require a lot of care and feeding.
    Bingo !! you never read about the mod 36 or mod 10, or dick special that had issues . however on every 1911 mini or kahr mini thread you read about bad juju . small autos are like old mechanical watches in a lot of ways , when they are understood and maintained they work , when an idiot gets one the dont . now not everyone who has bought one and had issues is any kind of idiot , however for myself i have had more and more severe " jams " with small revolvers than i have the autos .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I just made the switch to a J frame a week ago (NIB 37-2). Sure I wish it had more capacity but thats the only drawback I can find. It is so nice to just throw in my front pocket and head out the door!! Im hooked.

As a bonus it is much more fun to shoot than I thought it would be!!

There is a lot more new carry folks lately and seams like the good old J-frame is still king of the first timers. I do more J-frame/Taurus 85/SP101 holsters than any other make or model.

Good choice for those who don't shoot a lot. Basic, simple and effective.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

i carry one as the "bug" on duty and as the primary off duty. done this for many years. nothing wrong with a j-frame. you can bob the hammer and make the trigger work better than most autos. i carry a six round speed strip for one reload. that's all you will need. remember you will not be in a "made for tv" shoot out. you will only need to shoot five times real fast, then run as fast as you can while calling 911. i know most think a five shot is not a mans gun and they feel under gun with one,,,,,,they got/must carry the big auto with several reloads,,, but come to think about it we don't live in a war zone. got off track here. the wheel gun is easy to carry, easy to shoot, and will go bang when you pull the trigger, no matter how much lint is in the action.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Thumbs up Snubby 44

About 2 years ago I decided to carry a Walther PPK/S. It was a huge
    mistake. The thing was extremely unreliable. It took me about a
    year and a half to realize I was never going to be able to make it
    reliable.

So I sold it and purchased a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 revolver.
    I owned one in the 70's and regret having sold it.

I know this one will go always "BANG" when I pull the trigger, and I
    really like the .44 special cartridge. I am looking forward to relearning
    to shoot a double-action revolver.

The Second Amendment is NOT about hunting!

I'm in the process of switching . . .

I originally bought a SA XD9, carried it for 4 months after I got my permit. Then sold that and bought a Glock 19. Been carrying that and a hand-me-down S&W M10 2" blued. When my gummint check comes in, I plan on buying a Ruger SP101 2" as a spring/summer/early fall carry, and then I plan on getting a GP100 3" as a late fall/winter/open carry gun (I live in VA). I'll still use the Glock as a range/open carry/SHTF gun. I love it. I just love revolver reliabilty and aesthetics more.

And when I have another $100 to spend, I'll end up getting one of those surplus Russian Nagant revolvers. Yea, I know, anemic cartridge, ugly, but to me, its so ugly its beautiful. Plus its a great piece of history.
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

...it's just in "professional" use where they have lost almost all of their ground (never to return, I'm afraid.)"

Well, it's not that revolvers are unprofessional though many these days seem to think they somehow give that impression. They lost ground when departmental mandates sidelined them in favor of the "new and improved" automatics. Mandates which are foolish in my view. Never did go for conventional wisdom anyway and have always preferred the revolver. I'm glad to see them getting some play and think they are a superior choice for many who persist in clinging to auto pistols.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    ...it's just in "professional" use where they have lost almost all of their ground (never to return, I'm afraid.)"

Well, it's not that revolvers are unprofessional though many these days seem to think they somehow give that impression. They lost ground when departmental mandates sidelined them in favor of the "new and improved" automatics. Mandates which are foolish in my view. Never did go for conventional wisdom anyway and have always preferred the revolver. I'm glad to see them getting some play and think they are a superior choice for many who persist in clinging to auto pistols.

Its not the the revolvers are unprofessional, its just that the professionals now choose autos for a number of reasons.
    "Just blame Sixto"

My wife has been carrying a 642 for a while now. But 3 days ago she got a Glock 26, and seems to like it a lot better. It's pretty thick for such a small gun, but she likes the fact that she now has 11 rounds as opposed to 5.

The biggest plus for her though is the kick, that J frame just beats her up. The Glock is much more manageable, and she really loves the trigger.

I was getting ready to send out the 642 for a trigger job, but there is no need now, she is sticking with the Glock.

I think the revo's have they're place, I just prefer a good auto...and so does my wife.
    "Nice grips, weird choice of etching" Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieP View Post
    If there is a resurgence of revolvers for concealed carry, it may be partly for the same reason I went back to the revolver. Small semi-autos have reliability problems and require a lot of care and feeding. I have done a lot of reading on this subject in the last couple of months. With the semi-auto you must be 1) lucky to get one of those semi-autos that just works out of the box,and 2) have the time and patience to put hundreds of rounds through the pistol for "break-in" and then test the pistol extensively with each type of ammo you use. I just wanted a gun, not a way of life. Save your time, save your money, get a wheel gun. And if you want to teach your wife how to use the revolver - its just "put the bullets in the little holes, point, pull".
    Small auto's and reliability are an issue. But I found that there are a few that have good track records. Me and the wife looked at Glock, Kel-Tech, Khar, Walther, H&K, Sig, Rhorbahr, and a few others.

She settled on the Glock 26, and it's been great so far. Seems to be the perfect mixture of small, reliable, easy to shoot, good price, and holsters are easy to find.

BTW this is our first Glock.
    "Nice grips, weird choice of etching" Rocky

Here are 4 of mine. Four good reasons to love revolvers. Top to Bottom: S&W 19-5, Ruger GP100, S&W 686+, Taurus 617.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by wmhawth; April 6th, 2008 at 08:25 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links