evolution BACK to revolvers?

This is a discussion on evolution BACK to revolvers? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just made the switch back. I'm currently carrying a Charter Bulldog 44 special. (see avatar) If I'm going to carry a revolver as my ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: evolution BACK to revolvers?

I just made the switch back. I'm currently carrying a Charter Bulldog 44 special. (see avatar) If I'm going to carry a revolver as my primary weapon I definately want a large caliber and a semi for a bug. I also practice with 2 speedloaders EVERY DAY. I'm waiting for some good leather from K&D for it and I'm looking at getting a couple of those speedloader clips I saw in another thread. They look really small and easy to get to...not like the big leather cases with snaps. It's about sp101 sized and not a real expensive gun should I have to give it up, God forbid.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    At various times I carry a Compact 1911, Kahr P9, S&W 642, S&W 640 .357, KT P3AT, and a Mak.

I find the revolvers convenient, and easy to load and unload when I am finished with them.

I have probably carried the 642 more than any of the others except the KT P3AT. I leave it loaded in a holster that looks more like a junk carrier, and too thin to carry a gun. It is my daily carry to the gym (no one notices it as I come and go OC). For extra ammo I carry a strip speed loader.

I admit that if I thought I was really going to need one I would carry the 1911 Compact or at least the Kahr P9. But most of the time I am in a very low risk situation, and the KT is nice to carry.

Regards,
    Jerry

I had not noticed a trend back to wheel guns but you may be onto something.

As for me, I carry the exact same thing no matter what season it is or how I will be dressed. My Glock 23, .40 cal. I dress around the gun, I do not carry something smaller or less potent just because it gets hot out. In fact, the heat or summer usually sees the highest spike in violent crime around the country. So why carry a lesser gun just because it gets warm out?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I have a .45 ACP, 9mm and .380 bottom feeder. All bottom feeders have failed me at one time or another.

I never had a problem with a revovler. A S&W 642 in a Mika pocket holster is the norm.

Now...the .357 mag with HOT rounds gives me the real warm and fuzzy...I take this into the woods, the mountain, the Tacoma Mall and anywhere in Seattle:

When I carry a revovler...I usually carry a bug bottom feeder:

Quote Originally Posted by dawgfvr View Post
    Thats a gorgeous 3" GP. Bravo. Where'd you get the grips?
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

I think the 357 magnum round is a strong argument for revolvers. Even if there was a large selection of 357 autos (I don't think there are any at present) I think people would still keep revolvers around. I like them as much as my semi-autos. Love the way they look.

I carry a .38 Spl in a pocket holster 90% of the time. This little snubby is so easy to carry, it's part of my routine now...has been for years, actually.

I'll carry a Glock 19 occasionally and that's as dependable a semi-auto as one can own. The only thing I do not like about carrying a semi-auto is ejecting the chambered round (I never leave one in the chamber when I'm home...that's my safety rule). However, revolvers are much more comfortable to me (that's a pyschological thing for me)

I picked up a Ruger SP101 (3.06" barrel) and a Taurus 851 (titanium) very recently. The Ruger (with .357 Mag rounds)will be carried in a Don Hume IWB holster, the 851 will replace my old Taurus 85 (spurred hammer) as my pocket piece (.38 +P in a Mikas holster). I'll be carrying both guns...but for a quick trip to the store, there is no doubt the pocket rocket will be going with me.

JeffLrrp:

Badger grips. I had them custom fitted to my small hands by Marc from Gemini Customs. In fact, the whole GP100 was customized by him:

Gemini Customs LLC - Revolvers & Services

You have inspired me to carry my SP101 .357. My edc is a Glock 26 9mm, but when I am hiking, the 3" revolver is going with me. The mountain lion is reestablishing its range in Missouri and has been spotted in Kansas. One of Buffalo Bore's heavy .357 magnum loads ought to do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdoctor View Post
    ...Has anyone else made the switch? How many people are considering it?
    I actually shoot revolvers better than any of my semi-autos but I don't like J-frames, funny. I have a S&W 627 and a 617 I use whenever I need to reenforce my confidence in my ability to shoot accurately.

I'd never give up my PM9 or my HK but I do see an SP101 .327 Mag in my future.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    Well I don't think the j frame is for 'casual' ccw'ers nor do I feel it is suited for beginner carriers. But it is accurate, simple to use, and reliable.
    I am seeing many more revolvers in the ccw classes, and I think it is because a real defensive firearm that is carried everyday needs to have those 3 qualities.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    I look at it like this:

For the past decade or so, maybe even longer.

Gunshops have been pushing Glocks, Sigs , and XDs and 1911s..towards new gun owners.

Some people MIGHT wind up leaving with a revolver, but the often more expensive autoloader usually wins.

The GLOCK gives you a safe action..DA type pull that is constant and easy to hit with, but you are learning the Glock way ,and not the traditional way of
    sight alignment and trigger control. Like you would with a revolver.

Fundamental skills that will serve you well as you progress in skill with a
    handgun.

You probably know the guy that can shoot out a pig's eyeballs at 20 feet with his semi-auto, but not hit any part of a barn with a revolver.

I used to carry a Glock 32 but I traded it for a Ruger GP100. I guess I've always preferred revolvers. I kept my Ruger p95 though. Although I've never carried it, I like the way it shoots. I grew up with revos. My first gun experience was as a kid, my dad standing behind me with his hands on mine and shooting his Ruger Blackhawk .357..This is assuredly the reason that I prefer revos and Rugers!

I've been pocket carrying my S&W 642 snubby for a couple of years now and really like the fact that I can be sure that it will perform if called upon. That being said, the nature of concealed carry keeps me trying to keep printing to a minimum. I'll be trying the Ruger LCP next!
    When in doubt, wup it out....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links