evolution BACK to revolvers?

This is a discussion on evolution BACK to revolvers? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I guess I read more than I post, but it seems like the trend on the forum is people are starting to purchase and carry ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: evolution BACK to revolvers?

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar

I guess I read more than I post, but it seems like the trend on the forum is people are starting to purchase and carry revolvers more and more. the talk seems to be heading that way, more pics of revolvers, more comments...I switched my EDC to a j-frame almost a year ago, (from a kimber ultra carry), and love the convenience...
    Has anyone else noticed this? Has anyone else made the switch? How many people are considering it?
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Revolvers vs. semiautos

I have always shot and carried both revolvers and semiautos, depending on the circumstances. I don't have a real preference for one type over the other, feeling that both have strengths and weakness. I admire the good reliability of revolvers, as well as the variety of ammo types you can shoot in a revolver. Semiautos, on the other hand, offer the advantages of generally more capacity, faster reloads, and a flatter profile for concealment.

But I think you are correct that there is a slow trend back to revolvers in the postings you read on this forum.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

VIP Member
    I shoot and carry both, depending on the situation. I have lately found myself carrying my 642 more than anything else. It is just so easy to carry in a pocket.

It does seem there has been a trend in folks buying and carrying wheel guns more and more.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

For me it's become seasonal. Plenty of cover garment use in cold weather means I have the firepower of a Glock 26 or 36. In summer I find that I'm pocket carrying a snubby most of the time; but I do miss the comfort of the more powerful Glocks during the warm season.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

VIP Member
    I think a lot of folks have always carried revos for personal use - it's just in "professional" use where they have lost almost all of their ground (never to return, I'm afraid.) The small, lightweight snubbies are pretty much the perfect gun for the "casual" CCWer - always have been, and probably will be for some time to come. Simple to use, simple to maintain, relatively inexpensive, small and concealable, very reliable - not much to complain about as long as you accept the capacity and reload restrictions.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I'll carry one as soon as they make it with a 15 round cylinder.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Senior Moderator
    I carry a revolver when I'm not at work most of the time. It's an auto for work though
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Administrator
    They certainly have their place.

Here is an old thread that is similiar, it an interesting read;

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...olver-die.html
    "Just blame Sixto"

I think it's a good idea to have at least 1 revolver in your collection, just in case Obama gets his way.
    -Biker

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    I carry an XD 45 Compact, but I doubt I'll ever part with the old Ruger GP100.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

The good ol' j frames are hard to beat. I carry one everyday. I wish I had more capacity at times. But the j frame is perfect for summer carry.
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I own a couple of revos. I keep feeling tempted to purchase one specifically for carry but I always change my mind.

I'm an absolutely horrible shot with double action revos. The long trigger pull doesn't make for great accuracy. Cock it and fire in single action mode then it's great but in a SHTF scenario you are going to be sqeezing off double action shots in a hurry - speaking for myself I know that degrades my accuracy.

Then there's the deal that I only have six shots. Maybe that's five more than I'll need but it's still less than what I want. A speed loader seems impossible to conceal and loose rounds in the pocket aren't as fast as popping in a fresh mag.

The revo is classy, elegant, beautiful, and able to do it's job. It conceals well and when it prints it doesn't seem so obvious that it's a firearm. Totally reliable and simple to use, but not without it's own drawbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by lance22 View Post

...Then there's the deal that I only have six shots. Maybe that's five more than I'll need but it's still less than what I want. A speed loader seems impossible to conceal and loose rounds in the pocket aren't as fast as popping in a fresh mag.
    speed strips are a nice alternative, not as fast as a speed loader, but very easy to conceal, and you don't just have loose rounds.

I heard somewhere that S&W j-frames are the most popular carry gun in the US, and I wouldn't be surprised to find that to be true.

Despite limitations they are solid, and reliable pistols that can get the job done, and are really easy to conceal.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I honestly dont see me going back to revolvers for carry . Part of it is because for a period of years it was mandated that i had to carry revolvers , and part of it is because of the newer compact and micro autos that are or can be made reliable at an affordable price . Ill stay with my autos and take the lumps of more preventive maintenance .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I dont know I like the dependabliity of a revolver I carry SW 66 but i also carry autos I like carrying my tokarev I have had it worked on and is a perfect size and the round is powerful ,My wife on the other hand is purely an auto girl and wants that new 380 Ruger there coming out with.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links