Finally shopping for sights - Springfield 1911

This is a discussion on Finally shopping for sights - Springfield 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Alrighty, finally have the chance for upgrade #2 for my Springfield: sights. In my time at the range so far, I've noticed that yeah, standard ...

Thread: Finally shopping for sights - Springfield 1911

Finally shopping for sights - Springfield 1911

Alrighty, finally have the chance for upgrade #2 for my Springfield: sights.

In my time at the range so far, I've noticed that yeah, standard sights on it suck. They're tolerable for range use, but definitely not for speed. I don't have color problems with my vision but I don't seem to pick up the white/black sights near as fast as I do other colors, such as the gold beads on shotguns (as an example). So this narrows down my search a little; standard white/black sights are out.

I've never used tritium sights, but the little white ring around 'em is annoying to me. Enough to be distracting? Probably not, but still annoying. While this is more aesthetics than anything else, I haven't seen the benefits of tritium sights yet so I can't say I'm overly interested. So, for now, this rules out tritium sights (unless y'all can point me in the right direction for good ones).

What I'm looking for is sights appropriate for concealed-carry (meaning fairly low profile), in non-standard colors, and preferably durable. To say I would be unhappy if I were to lose a sight while shooting would be a mild understatement, given how much most of these sights cost.

Now that my Brownells 1911 catalogue came in (I think it was QK who suggested it; thank you!), in hunting through it I found a few fiber optic sights I think might just do the trick. The first is the Novak fiber optic rear sights (wide). Being as that they're Novak and I'm familiar with the reputation, I'd be comfortable purchasing from them. However, Novak's fiber optic front sights suck. They do their job well, but they can catch things fairly easy (this I've seen in person, when a fellow was asking effectively the same thing to a worker in a gun shop).

So after a bit of hunting, I came across three possible front sights. The first is the Williams fire sights. However, I don't see Springfield 1911s anywhere on that list, and having heard they have a different cut than other 1911s I don't know if the Series 80 Colt sights would work for my gun. Also, Truglo offers a combination Tritium/Fiber Optic, but again, not in a Springfield 1911 set-up. The third is the HiViz front sight, specifically for a Springfield 1911, but I have no experience with HiViz and don't really know anything about the quality of their products.

Here's what I'm asking: does anybody here have any experience with any of the above sights? Otherwise, do you guys have any insight as to what I should consider for good, visible sights?

Thanks,

-B

2. Remove Ads

I am in the same situation as yourself. I find the Novak style sights on my Commander to be a little wanting in the visibility department. I have been looking seriously at the XS Big Dots. I think they would provide an easy to acquire sight picture, while not snagging on the holster too bad.

Let us know what you end up with and how they work. If I ever get the spare $, I am going to try the XS.

Good luck.

If you are looking for speed, XS are the fastest sights and you won't be sorry.

I'll tell you this much; I have used tritium and fiber sights with a flashlight and I will never use tritium again. It has to be really dark for them to be of any use, and with my kids in the house, I want to light up my target and my background before I even think about pulling the trigger.

I have become a real fan of the HiViz and TruGlo sights as well as those from Dawson Precision. Because I am 46, my eyes don't work like they used to, and the fiber optic sights are so much easier to acquire, thats the way I am traveling nowadays.

Good luck
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

These are King-Tappan sights and I know of no better for a 1911. Regards, Richard

I have the Truglo Fiber front/tritium rear on my Sig 220 Equinox.

They are the best sights I have ever used. To say they glow is an understatement. Sitting on my wall at night, the sights give off enough light that I will never have a problem finding my pistol in the night.

The only negative about them is the front sight does snag on "some" holsters. Such as the Galco Quick Slide, because it doesn't cover the whole barrel. But on any other holster I have that covers the barrel, there is no snag problem.

Here is a pic of the "bad" holster. Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters
    "Nice grips, weird choice of etching" Rocky

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Anybody know if you can get Ameriglo Pro Operator night sights for a 1911?

Quote Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
    If you are looking for speed, XS are the fastest sights and you won't be sorry.
    +1 on the XS sights
    Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. ~ Robin Williams ~
    www.desbiensgunleather.com

AEA
    Just add Crimson Trace Laser grips and forget about the sights altogether........

That's what I did on one of my 1911's.

The XS are great sights - I have them on my Kahr P9. When I recently did a few modifications on my Baer SRP I went to the Heinie Straight Eight Slantpro sights. These really work well for me in both daylight and during the night, allowing for fast sight acquisition. Check them out in the Brownells catalogue.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryD View Post
    I have the Truglo Fiber front/tritium rear on my Sig 220 Equinox.

They are the best sights I have ever used. To say they glow is an understatement. Sitting on my wall at night, the sights give off enough light that I will never have a problem finding my pistol in the night.
    I really like those Truglo TFO (tritium/fiber-optic) sights, but they aren't made for my 1911. The idea of sights that glow in darkness but are still fiber optic sights for day use is a heck of a seller for me. Truglo offers 'em in Kimber sight cuts, but apparently Kimber and Springfield make two different cuts (anybody know the difference?). If rumors are true, Truglo will have the sights in by Spring of this year, but in Florida "Spring" has already come and passed (week-long process, give or take). What season is it in normal states?

I've seen the XS sights, and I really don't like them. They're still mostly white (which I don't pick up as quick), and they've got that little dot in the middle (the tritium). Not my cup of tea, and doesn't help me in day or shootin in areas with light (where the tritium doesn't really do much).

Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming please.

-B

Links