Recommendation on .22 revolver wanted

This is a discussion on Recommendation on .22 revolver wanted within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been thinking of purchasing a .22 revolver just for mostly plinking and target practice. I actually have been thinking about the Ruger Bearcat, but, ...

Thread: Recommendation on .22 revolver wanted

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar

I've been thinking of purchasing a .22 revolver just for mostly plinking and target practice. I actually have been thinking about the Ruger Bearcat, but, since it's single action only, it really doesn't help with ccw practice, since my ccw s are double action only revolvers.
    I know the K-22 is no longer in production and used model K-22s are very pricey, but, that would have been ideal.

Any recommendations or thoughts would be appreciated.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Just yesterday I handled a small Taurus Revolver, 9 shot, double actions, 4" barrel with adjustable sites in stainless. Can't remember the price. It was a good looking gun and I thought it was perfect for what you're describing. If there was any negative it was that the double action pull was very very heavy. Smooth but heavy. The single action on it was nice. Good sites and good grips. I really was surprised.

The other obvious choice is the Ruger Single Six but it's more western looking and single action. I have one and like it but if you like the more modern look of a double action, I'd look at that Taurus and then I'd look at what Ruger offers in the way of double action .22 revo's.

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Just yesterday I handled a small Taurus Revolver, 9 shot, double actions, 4" barrel with adjustable sites in stainless. Can't remember the price. It was a good looking gun and I thought it was perfect for what you're describing. If there was any negative it was that the double action pull was very very heavy. Smooth but heavy. The single action on it was nice. Good sites and good grips. I really was surprised.
    I think this is the same Taurus I have. It's a great little plinker, lot's of fun to shoot.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    for a double action 22 plinker you may watch the gun shows for a used H&R 949. It's a 9 shot revolver that came (still in production?) in various barrel lengths. That was the first new handgun I purchased in 1974 when I came of age. Unfortunately it was stolen from my home in 1986 in a burglary. It was a really fun, inexpensive gun that I put many thousands of rounds through.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    You could probably buy both rugers:a revolver and auto for a bit more than
    cost of a new one. I am not a Taurus fan so I take used rugers over taurus
    any day! This is from personal experience with both makes.Good luck with your search !

If you are on a budget, (and who isn't these days), Taurus or Charter Arms would come to mind for a double action .22. If your last name is Trump then S&W would be the way to go as their models generally have better quality and smoother, lighter trigger pulls. You might also peruse the internet gun auction sites for a good used Smith or Colt double action .22. I almost forgot that Ruger has the SP101 in .22, I don't know if it is still made or not but it would be a good choice also.

You should check out the S&W 617. I've got an older 6 shot version that makes it out to the range with me every time. Through years of use, it feels like it's got a trigger job. The accuracy today is just as excellent as it was when I first bought it.

In 1993 I bought it new for $390 so the prices have gone up a bit but they're worth it.

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    If you can find a nice K-22 or model 17 for a good price...grab it...these are the cream of the crop in .22 revolvers...nothing like a classic smith or colt DA...the fonlde factor alone is worth the price..

I got my wife a Taurus Model 94, 2 inch, stainless steel, with a laser grip.

She hates snakes, but the neighbors are too close for a larger "bang", so I loaded it up with shotshell and she now has her "snake gun". She keeps her SW Model 66, 2 1/2 inch roundbutt loaded and handy for "two legged snakes"!!
    TampaSsgt .........
    Certified Sheepdog

Smile

Don't forget S&W Mod 18, real nice little 22.

Dan Wesson

Dan Wesson made a great 22 pistol I am sorry I sold mine. You may be able to find one on the used market somewhere.

On Plinkers

Quote Originally Posted by odyssey View Post
    You should check out the S&W 617...
    Roger that! I have to say my 617 10-shot with a 6" barrel is like shooting a rifle in terms of accuracy. Twice now I've tried to put optics on it but forget it. It's more fun to shoot off hand with the original iron sights.

I've helped a lot of people get started with handgun familiarization and my 617 is always a big hit with new shooters.

VIP Member
    I have tried for a while to find a decent .22 revolver. In Tulsa K22s in good shape were bringing over $600. I did find a H&R Sportsman 9 shot that is in excellent shape for a good price. I'll be posting a report in the next few days. I have to catch up first.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Sponsored Links