Ultra Carry???

Ultra Carry???

This is a discussion on Ultra Carry??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I was browsing my local gunshop today. They had been out of Kimbers for a few weeks and apparently got some in recently. They ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultra Carry???

Ultra Carry???

So, I was browsing my local gunshop today. They had been out of Kimbers for a few weeks and apparently got some in recently. They had a nib Kimber Ultra Carry just off the production line, for 599. I was seriously contemplating putting some money down on this gun to add to my carry rotation, and picking it up in a few weeks. They had 2 in stock so I figured I would come here and ask all of your thoughts on this gun. It is the blued version, not stainless, which I prefer. I like stainless and wouldn't mind owning stainless, but I prefer blued. Anyway, this would be my first 1911 and I am clueless when it comes to them, so I know little if anything about this gun. Any thoughts on this deal?
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Way too cheap for a new Ultra. Check and see if it has the external extractor. If so, that gun's been sitting around somewhere for at least a year and a half. Kimber went completely back to the internal version. If it's internal, and is indeed new, you've got a screaming price.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Way too cheap for a new Ultra. Check and see if it has the external extractor. If so, that gun's been sitting around somewhere for at least a year and a half. Kimber went completely back to the internal version. If it's internal, and is indeed new, you've got a screaming price.
    Not knowing much about 1911's I am assuming that the external extractor would be visible on the slide. On this particular gun the ejection port has the smoothe beveled sides and no visible extractor.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

You are correct. Limatunes has a more thorough explanation here:
    External vs Internal Extractor

Thanks Limatunes, that's a great reference piece you've provided!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I agree - great reference thats easy to read with pictures! I did just add a comment to Lima's site that she combines excellent knowledge, story telling and a great sense of humor. Lets get her on with one of the gun magazines to write a monthly column.

I have two Kimber CDP II's...the older one is a Pro with an external extractor, and the newer one is an Ultra with an internal extractor...both have operated without any problems...I trust both...OMO...I would buy either again.
    I say get it...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I like this one a lot..........

http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

I had an Ultra Carry, and when it ran, it was nice.

Then it decided to start locking back on full magazines and feeding rounds in front of the extractor, and having rounds pop out of the magazine without the extractor stripping them out of the magazine.

But, that wasn't the worst part.

Kimber serviced the gun, but sent the gun back with a broken recoil assembly and took their sweet time to get me a replacement part.

Kimber and I don't speak anymore.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by JrHawk View Post
    I agree - great reference thats easy to read with pictures! I did just add a comment to Lima's site that she combines excellent knowledge, story telling and a great sense of humor. Lets get her on with one of the gun magazines to write a monthly column.
    She does enjoy writing, that's for sure. And she's a pleasant read. Haven't seen that much of her around here lately though. Lima?
    Oh yeah, just make sure you grab your coffee before you sit down to read her.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    I had an Ultra Carry, and when it ran, it was nice.

Then it decided to start locking back on full magazines and feeding rounds in front of the extractor, and having rounds pop out of the magazine without the extractor stripping them out of the magazine.

But, that wasn't the worst part.

Kimber serviced the gun, but sent the gun back with a broken recoil assembly and took their sweet time to get me a replacement part.

Kimber and I don't speak anymore.
    That can happen with a $2500 gun, also...I know it does...if it's mechanical, 'stuff happens'...

My Kimbers have been impeccable, and I know of at least two $2000+ weapons that have had great diffculties...FACT!

Stay armed...with a 'tested' product...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Some people get good Kimbers. I didn't.

I could have accepted that; however, customer service which is that bad I will not accept.

I had an issue with a Kahr pistol, and they had the gun serviced in eight days, with the weapon coming back in like new condition. The only thing they didn't do was buff the scratches out of my magazines (which admittedly, would be a touch much to expect...)

That is excellent customer service. I don't have a Kahr these days, but based on that experience, I'd buy another one.

Kimber?

Not a chance.

I bought 1 kimber and it was an ultra 1 series , the 2's are hit and miss if it's gonna work . I carried mine for 2yrs but went back to steel frame Springfield ultra compact which I prefer . BTW that's an excellent price !!!!

That is a good price, i'd buy it.

I carried the 3" Ultra Carry for about 6 or 7 years. Put a couple thousand rounds through it, and it worked well. At first it had some FTF problems, but then I switched to Wilson and Cobra mags and the problems went away.
    "Nice grips, weird choice of etching" Rocky

The $599 for an Ultra is a fairly good price. I've got a Tactical Ultra and had no problems through breakin (about 400 rounds of mixed type ammo). It has the internal extractor and works flawlessly so far...it was NIB a few months back. It conceals well and the accuracy is good...couldn't ask for much more.
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links