Stoeger Cougar 8000 as edc?? Help Please

Stoeger Cougar 8000 as edc?? Help Please

This is a discussion on Stoeger Cougar 8000 as edc?? Help Please within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi guys. My name is Daniel and i live in central florida. As you know, the sunshine state can get pretty hot during the summer. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stoeger Cougar 8000 as edc?? Help Please

Exclamation Stoeger Cougar 8000 as edc?? Help Please

Hi guys. My name is Daniel and i live in central florida. As you know, the sunshine state can get pretty hot during the summer. I am headed out to shoot straight in the apopka/orlando area to hopefully purchase a nib stoeger cougar 8000 probably in 9mm tomorrow morning. i have read mostly great things about it so after playing with it several times and doing my research i think i'm gonna take the plunge. what do you guys think of my choice?? if i do see a 1911 in .45acp with a can't miss price in the $4-500 range i would go with that if its a good gun. i would then lean toward kimber, springfield, and maybe ria and taraus. But! more than likely i'll be purchasing the cougar. i am working on my ccw and and know ofcourse to make sure its reliable so if i need it in a life/death situation it goes bang whenever i pull the trigger. finally my question is, how many of you carry a cougar concealed?? any problems to expect?? how easy is it to conceal?? plz provide pics of your gun and holster to give me some ideas. now, i am a shorter (5'5'') guy working on losing weight (to date have lost 62 pounds) but am still over weight. will this be a problem when trying to conceal either one of these weapons?? sorry for the long post but wanted to give the appropiate background information. plz help. thanks.

Senior Moderator
    Welcome to the forum, from a fellow Central Floridian.

I've no direct experience with the Cougar, but I am sure someone with such experience will pop in.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Senior Moderator
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I'd go with a Kimber of the ones you have mentioned, but it's going to be YOUR gun, buy whatever 'calls' your name. Let's face it, you're just starting your 'collection'...if it seems right, then it will work for you.

Stay armed...with something...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

thanks guys so far, plz keep the info and opinions coming. would this be a fairly easy concealment piece given my body type?? the price is attractive with the cougar and the unknown 1911 problems scare me. i have about $6-700 to spend so the cougar with some ammo and a holster would be nice but i love the 1911 format. thanks guys.

Just purchased one for $ 367 and posted this a few days back:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...367-jewel.html

A little info on this all-metal jewel:

Firearms - Cougar 8000 - Stoeger Industries

It is the exact same thing as the Beretta Cougar only made in Turkey on Beretta tooling under Beretta/Benelli managers:

Beretta Model 80 Olimpionica

All holsters made for the Beretta Cougar 8000 will fit. I just ordered one from High Noon Holsters. I will be carrying this pistol after a range test I will report out on this Sunday.

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    Daniel, I carry a Kimber Pro Raptor everyday and have had no problems with it. That being said, I have a Stoeger Cougar under my truck seat. Also no problems. I believe you'll be happy with the Cougar, and ammo for it is definately a lot less expensive than ammo for the Kimber.
    Greg

It's not what you go thru in life, but how well you go thru it.

Administrator
    The couger wouldnt be in my top 15 choices, but its not a horrible choice. If thats what you like, go for it.
    The biggest issue I see you having with it is thats its a somewhat of an oddball gun. Holsters, mags, etc might prove to be a little tough to find compared to the Glocks, Sigs and 1911's that are far more common.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Actually...holsters are fairly easy to find for the Stoeger. Again...any holster designed for the Beretta Cougar will fit.

I just ordered a slide guard for my Stoeger from High Noon. This will be my third holster from them on various weapons. This is one of the best OWB I've ever purchased:

Slide Guard

They also make this fine IWB holster:

Down Under Straps

El Paso is one more of my favorite hoster makers...they also cover Beretta/Stoeger lines

Concealment Holsters

As for magaizines...they are easy to get, albeit somewhat exspensive. The two 15 round magazines that come with the Stoeger are made in Italy...Beretta of course. So...stick with Beretta magazines...you cannot go wrong. Kind of like purchasing a Ferrari...

I carry my Cougar 8000 everyday in a Crossbreed Supertuck. It is very comfortable and hides well. I love my Stoeger Cougar and have never had a FTF or FTE in many hundreds of rounds. It is very accurate as well.

change of heart

well guys i went to the leesburg range today and rented a berretta cougar in .40 cal. it has nice weight and feel to it. but as i was shooting i had 1 ftf but there were no other problems with the other 100 or so rounds i fired. however the gun shot low consistently from poa. i had my dad shoot it as well and he experienced the same issues. i then rented a h&k usp compact in 9mm. MAN CAN I SAY WHAT A SWEET AND ACCURATE WEAPON!! AWESOME IN EVERY SENSE!! NOW I'M LOOKING FOR EITHER A USP COMPACT IN 9MM OR A SIG P-228 OR 229 IN 9MM. It would be a cpo condition and i would like it in the $5-600 range. What do you guys think?? any suggestions?? lots of opinions plz.. thanks.

CDNN has the USPc (compact) in 9mm for $659.25 (new) in the variant 1 configuration. CDNN is where I bought my USPc and was excellent with their service. The gun comes with 2 hi-cap mags. I don't believe you can find a better price than CDNN for HK handguns.

Telephone # 800-588-9500
    Ask for Steve (top notch and follows thru)
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

usp compact

thats an awesome price!! i probably won't have enough for a holster and some ammo though!! how much were shipping and ffl fees to have it transfered to you?? thanks.

Shipping from CDNN is typically $9.99 and the transfer fee is whatever you can find it at. I pay $25. The dealer I like to do business with in Indy is $35, but for transfers, I go to the other and save $10 bucks and about 10 minutes in my drive. I have no real knowledge of the H&K but I do have a Sig 229 and have shot the Cougar. I like the 229 better. I bought my 229 through CDNN as well as a few others. Quick and easy. I recommend them and the 229 in 9mm. You may also check out Budsgunshop.com. I've bought a thing or two from them as well. Guns ship free, but make sure you either just pay with the credit card and pay the extra 3% or pay with a money order. Paying with a check takes what feels like an eternity. Happy gun buying.
    "I play for keeps."

newest CDNN catalog had a Sig 229 DAK brand new for 549.99. I can't remember if it was .40 or 9mm but that might stay in your price range.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links