Walther PPS: First Range Session

This is a discussion on Walther PPS: First Range Session within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a continuation of my thread here: Walther PPS: Pre-range Review FINALLY got the chance to take it out and shoot it. It was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walther PPS: First Range Session

This is a continuation of my thread here: Walther PPS: Pre-range Review

FINALLY got the chance to take it out and shoot it. It was well lubed/greased up so I took it up to my parents to shoot (better than $10 per hour at the range!). I shot the following ammo:

52 rounds WWB 115gr FMJ
    50 rounds PMI Bronze 115gr FMJ
    17 rounds Corbon 125gr +P JHP (434 ft. lbs.)
    14 rounds Federal HST 124gr +P JHP (400 ft. lbs.)

Total: 133 rounds

I first shot up the PMI bronze stuff, first shot was touching the bullseye, the rounds following were slightly lower by a couple of inches. The first shots were at ~7 yds. and it's probably sighted for 15 yards (thats about what the factory range test was at and it was a tight group right on the money). Had no issues from the get go and the recoil lower than I would have imagined for a 19 oz. handgun. Firing pin strikes were dead in the middle of the primer, albeit had a unique mark on the edge of the strike (need to take pics). The trigger is smooth, crisp and short, definitely good enough to keep your focus on the shooting and not have thoughts about the feel of the trigger in the back of your mind.

The 7 round magazine is a little nicer to shoot with because of the extra finger space, but I was suprised at how well it handled with the 6 rounder as well. This gun seems to have a nice natural pointability, it puts every shot on paper where you expect it to be, even with rather rapid fire. There's no twisting or jumping side to side on shots. I could shoot a string of shots pretty fast and just watch the sights float up and straight back down; as soon as they landed back on target I could pull off another shot. Worth noting are the sights. The dots are bright white and fairly large, very clear and easy to use on the target. I do wish they were night sights from the factory however! That is one advantage I felt the Kahr had over this gun, the factory tritium night sights.

The next bunch of rounds I shot were Winchester White Box, my favorite range ammo! I shot several and my friend shot several as well. My friend had one FTE, the case looked like it was just barely out of the chamber and holding the slide open, it looked like the slide never made it all the way back. This could have been from a limp wrist shot possibly, but it was a one time issue. I have read of WWB issues with a few other peoples PPS's. One thing I have heard is that the 9mm has the same recoil spring as the .40, so maybe lower powered ammunition might have a problem cycling or will be less forgiving of limp wristing. I'm not sure of the muzzle energy of WWB but I would be curious to know.

I shot a handful of Corbon's and some Federal HST's as well, absolutely no feeding issues. The was a little more noticeable muzzle rise and you could feel the stippling dig in your hand a little, but it was still very comfortable to shoot considering the muzzle energy of the rounds and the size of the handgun! The recoil was much less snappy with the +P's that I shot, than my PF9 with standard pressure rounds, if that says anything.

Probably the last thing worth mentioning is that you have to let the slide fly home when initially racking it, following it home with your hand will result in the slide and barrel not fully locking. This happened a couple of times to my friend. Letting it go like you are supposed obviously avoids this!

So far I'm delighted with this gun! Very fun to shoot, seems to eat just about anything so far, very manageable recoil, and the gun is built like a tank imo! Looking forward to taking it out again soon for another range test!
    Obama didn't get elected to warranty your muffler. He's here to warranty your life.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Glad you like it. I love mine, but only have 300 rounds through it so far.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryPower View Post
    Glad you like it. I love mine, but only have 300 rounds through it so far.
    So far so good, if it keeps up reliability wise, which I have no doubt it will, then it sure is a fine pistol!
    Obama didn't get elected to warranty your muffler. He's here to warranty your life.

I am glad to hear that this pistol is working out for you. I WAS thinking about a Keltec PF9, but after reading your earlier post and others, decided most definitely not to. If I ever get a slim frame nine then the nod will go to the PPS. Thanks for sharing your experiences as you have saved me time, money and trouble!

Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    I am glad to hear that this pistol is working out for you. I WAS thinking about a Keltec PF9, but after reading your earlier post and others, decided most definitely not to. If I ever get a slim frame nine then the nod will go to the PPS. Thanks for sharing your experiences as you have saved me time, money and trouble!
    Hey no problem!

Some people will still swear by the PF9, it just didn't work out for me I guess. But having owned both, i can tell you that the PPS is a much higher quality piece! Well worth the extra money.

thank you for your detailed report, i'm thinking about getting a pps or a colt pony.

I tried out a friend's PPS 9mm this past weekend. Very smooth. I love the size. Did have some occasional issues with steel cased Wolf failing to extract. Perhaps this will clear up as the gun gets broken in better.

I do have one on backorder and look forward to adding it to my CCW repertoire.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    "A wise man speaks because he has something to say.
    A fool speaks because he has to say something". ~Plato

i've got 600-700 rds thru mine, with 8 different types of ammo, and no problems at all. i've found the little fella to be very accurate, as well as reliable. the 124+p gold dot and the 124+hst tend to shoot a little low, 115dpx or 115+p bonded remingtons will put 8 of 8 in a head shot all day at 15 yds.

From what I've read, it sounds like a very reliable compact gun out of the box. No problems with the white box stuff from Wally World or the Ranger Partition Gold. Just an occasional problem with the steal case stuff. Doesn't really worry me as I wouldn't use the Russian stuff for every day carry.
    "A wise man speaks because he has something to say.
    A fool speaks because he has to say something". ~Plato

I've got 1200+ rounds through mine. Recently had an issue that will require the gun going in to customer service. Unfortunately - the slide locked back after shooting 40 rounds of 147gr. Mine is a first edition - 888. I knew that there was this potential going into the purchase - but I also knew that Walthers customer service was top notch.

I LOVE the gun - and hopefully this gets resolved quickly.

They should take care of it for you, I believe just about all of the FE's are susceptible to this problem. They might offer you a black model as a replacement. You still come out ahead, nicer case and extra mag, and no worries about the finish peeling on the FE's.

My thoughts EXACTLY.

I got ahold of a PPS about three weeks ago. Brought it home, cleaned it, oiled it and got it ready for a trip to the range later that day. After about 25/30 rounds it locked up so bad I had to push the slide against a post until it slid backwards. Quite an interesting predicament, requiring me to call a cease fire on the range and have everyone stand behind me since there was a live round in the chamber at the time.

Anyway, I brought it home (sniffling all the way), cleaned it again, and oiled it as specified in the owners manual. This oiling included one spot that I would not normally put a drop of oil in. Took it back to the range the next day and put 200 rounds through it. Not a single issue. Lesson to be learned: even if you have a small arsenal, follow the instructions in the owners manual of your new guns!

That said, I have a total of about 600 rounds through it to date. I put a box of ammo through it again tonight and it just plain shoots well. Ordered my second Supertuck from Mark at Crossbreed and I'm planning on carrying this in addition to my XD40 Compact and my .38 J-Frame (hey, it all depends on what I'm wearing!). It's a good gun and I'd recommend it if your looking for a sub-compact. Looking for night sights for it now.
    "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought."
    —Henri Bergson

Getting my PPS tomorrow and to the range next week. Can't wait!

Thanks for the range report, garn. It's always good to hear people's experiences with a new gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links