Compact 1911 for "tuckable" dress?

This is a discussion on Compact 1911 for "tuckable" dress? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking at the compact 1911's in 9mm offered by SA, Kimber and Para. I'm curious, as a newly licenced CCW, does the beavertail grip ...

Thread: Compact 1911 for "tuckable" dress?

I'm looking at the compact 1911's in 9mm offered by SA, Kimber and Para. I'm curious, as a newly licenced CCW, does the beavertail grip and hammer of a traditional 1911 catch on clothing as its drawn? Or, should I look at the models with the bobbed grips and hammerless?

Thanks!

Not in my experience (Ultra CDP). If you're wearing a loose fitting cover garment, your hand on the grip pretty much causes whatever clothing is there to slide right over the beavertail, hammer and rear sight. I pocket and IWB carry my CDP and snagging hasn't been a problem.

I carry my Tactical Ultra under a polo shirt and haven't experienced any snagging when drawing the weapon. The hand does it all...
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

I carry a Pro Carry in a Crossbreed supertuck deluxe and wear polo's and button down shirts everyday to work very comfortably and discreetly. I would imagine an Ultra would disappear with the right holster

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Loose dress shirts, polos, t-shirts, etc. with a tuckable High Noon Split Decision and my Ultra CDP II work fine. I haven't forked out the dough yet but the MTAC sure gets good reviews for a tuckable solution. I'm happy with the Split Decision.

My EDC is a Kimber Ultra CDP II in a Tucker Answer. Every now and then, I carry in tucked mode, usually when I've had to make a wardrobe change while out and about. As a general practice, I'd rather not carry tucked, but it's good to have the option if necessary.

It's especially important to practice your draw a lot if you're carrying tucked. It just adds that extra element to deal with. And, if you're not always carrying that way, you want to make sure you're thoroughly familiar with how to deal with untucking and making a smooth and fast presentation. Nothing that can't be overcome, but remember, fine motor skills go out the window under stress. Don't wait 'til then to find out you don't really have a smooth way to sweep the garment out of the way to access your CCW.

I highly recommend the Tucker holster. Excellent workmanship, comfortable and altogether functional, whether tucked or untucked.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

My carry is the Kimber Ultra Aegis II. I use a TT Gunleather IWB Reinforced mouth IWB Holster or a Mitch Rosen Clipper bought from Kahr KAHR ARMS ONLINE SHOP

I have not had any issues with the pistol snagging on clothing.

Sponsored Links