SP101 - Which one???

This is a discussion on SP101 - Which one??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm thinking the 3 inch model would be much more enjoyable to shoot at the range, but it's primary purpose will be for CCW. To ...

Thread: SP101 - Which one???

Question SP101 - Which one???

I'm thinking the 3 inch model would be much more enjoyable to shoot at the range, but it's primary purpose will be for CCW.

To all the SP101 carriers - is there that much of a difference between the 2 inch and 3 inch models for carry purposes? I know you can't get the 3 inch with the spurless hammer, but is that reason enough to stick with the 2 inch?

Most often I'll be carrying IWB. Thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

If you're looking for a spurless 3", I suggest looking at this one.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...h-florida.html
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Cakewalk View Post
    I'm thinking the 3 inch model would be much more enjoyable to shoot at the range, but it's primary purpose will be for CCW.

To all the SP101 carriers - is there that much of a difference between the 2 inch and 3 inch models for carry purposes? I know you can't get the 3 inch with the spurless hammer, but is that reason enough to stick with the 2 inch?

Most often I'll be carrying IWB. Thoughts?
    I don't have an SP101, yet.

However, I do have a GP100 with a 3" Barrel and find that in most cases it, "Carries Like a 2 inch and shoots like a 4 inch." I do have a 2" Snubbie that I carry frequently as a BUG. I have tried to carry it IWB and have found that it's not an "optimal" practice.

The reason I say that is because you will often find the 2" Revolver to be unstable when carried IWB and the gun/holster will be wanting to "flip" over the Belt. The 3 inch Barrel gives a little "stability" and if you are carrying IWB it's as easy to hide as a 2 inch Barrel.

As far as a spurless hammer, that's what Gunsmiths with dremel tools are for. My GP100 didn't come with a "spurless" hammer, but it has one now.

If you are going to be carrying IWB, and since the Gripframe on the SP101 and the GP100 3" are the same, you may want to look at the 3" GP100. It does give you the advantage of one extra round and I haven't found it any harder to hide.

When I do get an SP101 it will be a 2" version and I will use it as a BUG. Another thing I like about the 3" Barrel is that it lets you use more of the .357 Magnum's ballistic potential, with a longer sight plane too.

Take care and good luck.

Biker

The spurless hammers will fit any model of the SP101 as far as I can tell. They are basically a drop in part and are available from Ruger.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I really like the GP100, especially for the extra round, but dang that sucker's heavy! For 1 extra round I'm adding 7-10 ounces compared to the SP101, which is already a pretty hefty revolver in the 3 inch version.

That's an interesting point about carrying a 2 inch IWB, Biker. And yes, I guess I can have any regular hammer changed out....

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    I actually saw a "new" 3 inch with the spurless hammer.

I went with a spurless 2 incher, as the holster I want is only ava
    for the 2 inch.

Very happy with this gun so far.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I own and often carry an SP101 spurless 2.25". It is heavier than my Glock, and S & W Airweight , and I really wouldn't want to carry anything longer or heavier.

I carry my SP101, 2.25", .357mag upon occasion. I carry in a K&D defender holster. I don't own the 3" model but it would seem there would be negligible difference in carry weight or conceal ability. My Sp101 has the standard spur hammer. I thought about getting the bobbed hammer but I didn't feel it was worth the time, money and effort. I do shoot at the range quite often and having the spur does make for some single action fun.

If you do decide on the SP101 you won't be disappointed. They are very durable, high quality handguns. If you also invest in a good holster you will get years of comfortable concealed carry. I also definitely recommend the Hogue mono grip if you are planning on shooting magnum loads. That grip makes it much more enjoyable.

I own both a three inch and a 2.25 inch, and find the 2.25 easier to carry owb. With a good high ride holster there is very little barrel or holster below the belt, and is easily covered by an untucked shirt. I have a set of Trausch grips on my 3-incher which make a big difference in managing recoil.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I have the 3" and believe there is a difference; I do feel the barrel poke out a bit IWB. If only for CCW I'd get the spurless 2" and add a lighter spring kit ($8.00 off the internet). Make a huge difference in the DAO pull on mine but remains 100% reliable,...big difference!

I'd give that 3" in .327 Federal Magnum some serious consideration.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC4 View Post
    I'd give that 3" in .327 Federal Magnum some serious consideration.
    I have been. I really like the extra round that the .327 version gives, but I haven't compared ammo prices yet. I know the .327 also lets you shoot .32, .32 long, and .32 H&R, which is great for range practice, but I don't know how those prices compare to 38 special.

Links